Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:32:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686661
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Hail Caesar! - Growing forces in the Punic Wars  (Read 20624 times)

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
Re: Hail Caesar! - Growing forces in the Punic Wars
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2020, 06:58:38 AM »
Hello lads! Thanks for your sympathy with the issue at hand - I enjoyed and laughed (darkly) at a few of the comments. I won’t allow such a thing to happen again or even let children in my home without absolute supervision again! Maybe I’ll leave the dog home next time and teach him to attack anyone who gets near the minis (he won’t, he’s a cocker spaniel that loves everyone).

Well it took a long time to get through them - life and a business struggling through covid has made me much more busy than I want to be so hobby time isn’t very dedicated as was once. However! I did manage to fix all the broken minis save 1 Roman in the back ranks. Here they are, fixed rebased and painted over some new varnish. They aren’t as pretty as they once were but for wargaming and masses of Romans they will do.

The lighting varies for each photo sine they’re quick shots but they’re back!

And I started up the next lot of Samnites. 12 more to go!

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2020, 07:11:58 AM »

A better shot! I don’t know what the lighting problem was or what my camera is up to but this is how I’m used to looking at these lads!

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2020, 12:01:02 AM »
So glad your models made it back to life Wiegraf - well done !....and to “only” have lost one figure is a stroke of good fortune amidst all the damage originally inflicted - your latest figures look superb as always - I look forward once again to following your progress now that some kind of normal service has now been resumed  :)
Figures painted 2020 : 100

Online Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2020, 03:59:51 PM »
My goodness!  They look pretty great to me still!  Nice job rescuing so many! 

It is like a Plastic Roman Dunkirk! 

I can't think of an equivalent Ancient History example right now..... so I will stick with Dunkirk and wait for someone to correct me!   
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline sgzleada71

• Scientist
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2020, 11:32:26 AM »
Great repair job mate.   Reminds me of an incident as  a child when I'd made a nice cavalry piece and decided to put in in the grass beside the street to view through binoculars from my bedroom window.  I guess I wanted to see how realistic it looked.   Anyhow a neighbors mum came home from shopping and took the driveway a bit wide and ran over it !   Smashed into numerous pieces and driven into the dirt.   Surprisingly it wasn't that hard to restore it to almost it's original glory.   

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2020, 08:43:29 PM »
Look pretty darn good to me!  :-*

Bet the Samnites come out a treat!

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2021, 09:39:41 PM »
Great repair job mate.   Reminds me of an incident as  a child when I'd made a nice cavalry piece and decided to put in in the grass beside the street to view through binoculars from my bedroom window.  I guess I wanted to see how realistic it looked.   Anyhow a neighbors mum came home from shopping and took the driveway a bit wide and ran over it !   Smashed into numerous pieces and driven into the dirt.   Surprisingly it wasn't that hard to restore it to almost it's original glory.   

Haha.. damn! We both have stories to share about how our precious toys went and broke. I know a few lads who like to do shots with their minis in grass and such, but they did not have anyone run over the minis!

Right now those legions, despite repairing them, are now extremely fragile and I have to be ever so gentle with them. Before where I might have accidentally bumped a mini and it would be fine,  no in the same situation I find some plumes and stuff fall off. They're certainly also beat up and dented. Paint can cover them a bit, but they'll never have the same structural integrity as before.  I will continue to use them and wargame with them, but at some point I think they'll end up becoming the "loaner" army that I let other people play with if they don't have punic war stuff!

Bet the Samnites come out a treat!

I finished some more.. and I am very, very happy with them!  I've also decided to put in the eyes for all my minis. Rule of thumb for this is to remember not to make the eyes much bigger than about half the nose, and the pupils tiny.. otherwise they all look like they're on something special... lol

4 more to go to finish the unit. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 09:41:30 PM by Wiegraf »

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2021, 12:25:52 PM »
 :-* lovely brushwork as always - superb looking group and a great addition to a very nice collection

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2021, 02:39:20 PM »
Beautiful! :-*

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2021, 01:59:42 PM »
Lovely work on them

Cheers
Matt

Online Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2021, 09:08:29 PM »
Dang.  I am embarassed by my Republican Romans in comparison. 

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2021, 01:44:11 PM »
Haha.. damn! We both have stories to share about how our precious toys went and broke. I know a few lads who like to do shots with their minis in grass and such, but they did not have anyone run over the minis!

Right now those legions, despite repairing them, are now extremely fragile and I have to be ever so gentle with them. Before where I might have accidentally bumped a mini and it would be fine,  no in the same situation I find some plumes and stuff fall off. They're certainly also beat up and dented. Paint can cover them a bit, but they'll never have the same structural integrity as before.  I will continue to use them and wargame with them, but at some point I think they'll end up becoming the "loaner" army that I let other people play with if they don't have punic war stuff!

I finished some more.. and I am very, very happy with them!  I've also decided to put in the eyes for all my minis. Rule of thumb for this is to remember not to make the eyes much bigger than about half the nose, and the pupils tiny.. otherwise they all look like they're on something special... lol

4 more to go to finish the unit.

Great point about eyes! Lately I'm only bothering to paint in the eyes if it's a command unit, or the eyes themselves are abnormally well-sculpted. I figure you can't actually see eyes from much of a distance in real life so it's not that big of a deal, and it takes forever to do it because like you say, you don't want them to look like they've seen a ghost!  lol
"Nice try, history; better luck next year."

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2021, 01:27:31 PM »
They look awesome!  :-*

What color(s) are you using for their armor?

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2021, 12:26:38 AM »
They look awesome!  :-*

What color(s) are you using for their armor?

Late response on my part. Haha

The armor is all citadel paint. Balthasar gold based on any black primer > wash druchii violet, layer scyorax bronze and highlighted Auric gold.

I haven't worked on the Punic War Stuff for awhile. I had been doing Punic war models for years and after the destruction wrought by the kid, it still hit me somewhat hard. A lot of my models despite repairs didnt hold up all that well. That and the more I research, the more I see how individualistic a lot of soldiers are in this era.

I also moved a couple months ago, and there was some more minor damages to my mini collection. Most things I could fix, but a lot of the really bad off Romans and minis I had for punic wars I ended up selling off. Eventually I am going to be doing a lot of My Romans over, continuing with my Italian allies, which I think are the best troops ive done to date aesthetically for the era. They also have no damages.

I think the era is also more characterized by individuality between soldiers, as I did for the Italians, so I will be painting my Romans to look much less uniform and more individual as well. The more I painted during Covid lockdowns the more I came to appreciate individuality between models. So I will continue on with this method.

I am now doing up some Germans for Infamy Infamy, which are supposed to be the warriors you'd find in the Early Imperial Roman Era, but some of them are very basic with their gear.  I'll proxy the ones that have basically trousers, shirts (optional) and basic swords and spears to act as Cisalpine Gauls in my Punic wars. The ones I deck out in looted EIR gear or later aged weaponry will not be a part of the units.

To get ready for these Germans I've painted up Warlord's Vercingetorix. I just have to finish some final highlights, complete his base and varnish him. He's a rather fantasy type character with his massive wings on helm, but he was good to use for getting back into the swing of Ancients (I've been repairing WW2 guys damaged in the move and have started work on Perry Afghan Pasthun tribesmen).

I'm almost done all my Italians for WW2, and half way through my Afgahan Pashtuns. I've really gone for the skirmish level of wargaming lately, which helps me shake things up. But I still intend to keep working on Punic War Stuff. The Germanic Warriors for Infamy Infamy will find a place into the Punic Wars as well.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 12:34:06 AM by Wiegraf »

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2021, 12:41:44 AM »
ah,  I should also say, I finished that unit I was working on many months ago. I don't think I showed the last four lads.