Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:02:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Further Adventures of "Ohio" Smith  (Read 4674 times)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
The Further Adventures of "Ohio" Smith
« on: June 01, 2009, 02:24:44 AM »
Had an satisfying 45 Adventures pulp outing today - Dr. James "Ohio" Smith, rogue archeologist, had another chance to face off with his long-time nemesis "Red" Lily, international woman of mystery, probable agent of the Red air pirates!

The previous episode is chronicled on this LAF thread - in which Ohio & Lily brawled on a jungle riverbank, a dog ripped a man's throat out, a whip got cut by gunfire, and an airplane crash ended with Lily in Ohio's custody, and all of them heading inland to seek out a mysterious valley and lost city!

This episode takes place sometime after our first. Lily has escaped Ohio's captivity, but had to leave her loyal henchman Ivan Evilski behind with injuries. Aquiring new henchmen, she heads inland with Ohio in close pursuit, both determined to follow the clues to the Mysterious Valley!

Ohio had his long-suffering female companion Marion and/or Debbie (he has terrible trouble remembering women's names), their assistant "Hapless" Smith, and a European hunter with the unlikely nickname of "Cheerful".

Red Lily had hired an exiled American minor gangster Jim "Turkey" LaCross, who had brought along two other thugs, known only as Tommy and "Leadfoot".

One of Red Lily's thugs opened the festivities by narrowly avoiding a pool of jungle quicksand - and then Ohio's party learned one of the reasons the natives avoided this whole area, when a pair of velociraptors lunged from the undergrowth!

One died instantly to Cheerful's shotgun blast to the head, but the other attacked Marion and/or Debbie, and the whole episode delayed Ohio's party for quite a while - long enough for Red Lily to sneak closer and infiltrate the very middle of Ohio's group! (She has 45A's Disguise ability, and used it to take Hapless' place in the middle of the group!)

Lily's thugs forged deeper into the jungle without her, discovering a mysterious statue that seemed to be pointing deeper into the jungle (a Clue!) and then the second great shock - a group of apparently intelligent dino-men, jabbing spears as they lunged out from behind a pile of boulders!

Alas, flint spears and no brains VS a Thompson SMG is a very poor matchup - firing as fast as he could, one of Lily's thugs cut down three of the dino-men and forced the others to flee for their very lives! They later re-emerged from the undergrowth only to face more gunfire, and the sole survivor escaped back into it's city to warn of the terrible strangers approaching! (in 45A a mook with an SMG firing on Snap Shot at close range can do four shots, each with the potential for two hit points of damage per impact. You can also move targets in between shots - 'walking' an automatic weapon along a closely-spaced line of spear-carrying dinomen, for example. It was ugly.)

Ohio Smith and the hunter known as "Cheerful" had finally dispatched the second raptor, and Marion and/or Debbie and 'Hapless' Jones were involved in a confused brawl with Red Lily, who appeared to have forgotten about getting deeper into the jungle in her desire to kill off Marion and Ohio's party!

Cheerful was gunned down by the same SMG-wielding maniac who had slaughtered the dino-men, but Ohio forged on alone into the jungle, leaving Marion and Hapless to brawl with Lily.

Alas, before Ohio could get closer to the towering cliff that appeared to conceal the approaches to the Lost City and Valley proper, he heard a shout of triumph - Turkey and one of his thugs had found the hidden door and slipped through, leaving Ohio - and their nominal employer! - behind!

Marion and/or Debbie had injured Red Lily badly enough to put her on the ground, bleeding, but when she approached to capture (again!) the infamous Red air pirate, she sprang to her feet and gunned Marion down instead! With Lily's tommygun-wielding thug approaching to give aid, Marion was captured and spirited off back toward the river by Lily and her goon!

What next? Will Ohio find another way into the Lost City of the Dino-men? What are Red Lily's nefarious plans for Marion and/or Debbie? Will the two thugs who made it through the mysterious entrance be killed by outraged dino-men?

Tune in next time, for the further adventures of 'Ohio' Smith and 'Red' Lily!

This was the first outing for my Saurian dino-men, and also for my velociraptor figures. Neither fared very gloriously, though, especially the saurians vs the SMG! The next installment is being thrased out for play later in June, pending building of a bit more Lost City scenery. (This was also the first outing for my jungle scenery, actually.)

Today's scenario was written on the bus ride to gaming, and (as always!) grew and mutated on the fly once the dice started rolling. We discovered we'd been doing several things wrong in 45A, fixed them, and explored a few new Abilities we hadn't had a need for before. We also discovered - while I was placing the raptors on the table - that the Thunder Lizard rulebook (the one with the dino and saurian rule!) had been left at home, so quasi-raptor stats were invented on the spot by upgrading the main 45A books stats for a Komodo Dragon. The Saurians used the Half-grade Bandit stats from Dragon Bones, which is the main reason they died like flies when the SMG opened up...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 02:27:54 AM by Wirelizard »

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
Re: The Further Adventures of "Ohio" Smith
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 02:38:24 AM »
For those keeping count at home, Tommy's bag count was 2 dead, Cheerful & a reptileman, 3 wounded, Marion and/or Debbie and two more reptilemen, and one captured, Marion and/or Debbie. Quite past his quota. Of course, he also got to save the girl and his boss' employer, the Crimson Lily

Descriptions and larger images at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7393803@N03/sets/72157619072212010/

From a more mechanical perspective, we decided whoever won initiative would control the velociraptors, which due to my excellent dice luck, ended up being me When the reptilemen showed up, we decided the loser of initiative would control them. This meant that the bad things near Ohio, played by Brian, I ran and the reptilemen, such as they were near me, got controlled by him.

Offline Wolf 359

• Scientist
    • WhatThe?!Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 02:49:39 AM »

Nicely done. Great report.

One miniature is too many, and a thousand are not enough...

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 02:52:14 AM »
The only photo of mine that's worth posting:

Larger version & notes on Flickr.

The Saurians threaten two of Lily's goons with their flint spears, moments before the goon in the background opened up with his Thompson and blew them all away.

"Whatever happens/we have got/the tommygun/and they do not." - with apologies to Mr. Kipling.  :)

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 10:24:29 AM »
Great write-up. Sounded like a lot of fun. Keep us all posted for the next set of adventures!!
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 10:42:42 AM »
Great write up with some lovely figures and terrain. :-*
I really like .45 games, great fun and fast with loads going on.

I see you used the disguise ability. In one of our last games one of the players tried to use this ability but I didn't think it made much sense. If I remeber right he was going to use it to change places with somebody who was almost right next to the objective of the game. I am not sure I get the idea behind the rule?

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 01:11:13 PM »
I see you used the disguise ability. In one of our last games one of the players tried to use this ability but I didn't think it made much sense. If I remeber right he was going to use it to change places with somebody who was almost right next to the objective of the game. I am not sure I get the idea behind the rule?
Disguise can be VERY useful. But its limitations make it dicey to use sometimes. In the game you are talking about GM, there was the right confluence of events to make it very effective.

However, I have one player who takes it all the time, and only once did he manage to pull off a sudden, game-changing switch. It makes for a great story when the hero/villain is just about to win the game and the sudden revelation that the henchman you had turns out to be your enemy in disguise!
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Mad Carew Snr

• Scientist
  • One in the Eye for the little yellow god
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 01:48:47 PM »
Great looking game! Is that an HLBS reptile I see?
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone
The song is over
Thought I'd something more to say

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 10:21:44 PM »
Disguise can be VERY useful. But its limitations make it dicey to use sometimes. In the game you are talking about GM, there was the right confluence of events to make it very effective.

However, I have one player who takes it all the time, and only once did he manage to pull off a sudden, game-changing switch. It makes for a great story when the hero/villain is just about to win the game and the sudden revelation that the henchman you had turns out to be your enemy in disguise!

I ultimately decided to swap early in the game, as the Crimson Lily does not fear capture and it would distract the enemy while Turkey and his crew got to the secret entrance. With a bit of dino luck, this is exactly what happened. Having said that, disguise is a one-shot deal. If you fail, you fail.

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 12:54:47 AM »
Fun report!  The "Marion and/or Debbie" was cracking me up.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 03:37:26 AM »
The raptors were indeed HLBS; I did a fairly large dino order to them back in Jan/Feb when they announced they would be discontinuing their 28mm. I think Copplestone has picked up the HLBS dino molds, so hopefully we'll see them available again!

The dino-men are from Hydra - they've only got one pose so far but hopefully more coming soon. http://www.hydraminiatures.com/

The rest of the figures are mostly Pulp Figures, some Copplestone.

"Marion and/or Debbie" started as a joke in the very first Ohio Smith/Red Lily game - we were creating a Grade 2 female counterpart for Dr. "Ohio" Smith; Corey dubbed her Debbie, I said that Indy's ladyfriend was named Marion, and his response was, "Marion and/or Debbie, whatever. You think that sort of man remembers the names of his women?". We've run with the joke ever since!

Given that Red Lily's party ended the game split - one pair through the door to the Lost City, the others (having captured Marion and/or Debbie!) heading back to the river - and Ohio was last seen pushing on through the jungle alone, all his companions either captured (Marion), killed (Cheerful) or fled (Hapless) - the next scenario has been requiring some careful thought. We hope to play it later in June, with the usual battle report here right after!

Offline odd duck

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 04:53:01 AM »
Good game report ! looking forward to the next chapter!

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 03:34:52 PM »
Lovely figures, great scenery- excellent game!

Thanks for sharing, its always nice to see pictures for games being played.

@ GMac and O5; I had disguise in that game but it wasn't me, I never read the rules for it  :( and the game before tried to use it to dress as a German IIRC. (Which is totally wrong as we found out- i'd assumed that it allowed you to convince an opponent that you where someone else!) Oops!

Cheers
Andy