Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:46:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690833
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: the magic of TV...  (Read 6560 times)

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
the magic of TV...
« on: June 03, 2009, 10:07:21 PM »
no new mini's, just been playing with some scenery for pics... movable walls and props to fit in my light tent really... got a chance to try out some ideas for scenery proper...

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: the magic of TV...
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 11:54:10 PM »
Nice.........
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 07:27:37 AM »
Very nice! Great walls too!
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 08:37:48 AM »
Excellent  :)

Apart from the Police Box where does it all come from and have you painted it yourself?

As someone who has no scenery but is thinking about it for photo backdrops, how do you store it all?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 08:47:23 AM »
Fantastic paintwork.

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 09:01:22 AM »

Apart from the Police Box where does it all come from and have you painted it yourself?

As someone who has no scenery but is thinking about it for photo backdrops, how do you store it all?

well it's mostly flat... the walls have some supports to keep the upright, but there are no boxes, just flat angles, so storage isn't a problem... the walls are pvc board with plasticard from Fenris on (I did try and make some walls like Overlords stuff, but that was an epic fail), the bins are from Black Cat Bases, the drainpipe is plastic tube, the brackets are thicker bits of plastic tube, the corrugated iron is from an old Wills Scenics set I had (think you can get them from Antenociti)... essentially, aside from the bins which I already had and the plasticard brickwork which I needed to replace my previous mess, it's all scraps and bits I had lying around... the broken tarmac is also plasticard available from Fenris... I also have another wall made with a garage/loading bay door on it, but I haven't got round to getting it painted yet...

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 09:11:50 AM »
Excellent stuff :-*
Very atmospheric pictures very nice scenery pieces. :-*
Still gob smacked by the detail on the Dr  :o :o

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 09:14:43 AM »

well it's mostly flat... the walls have some supports to keep the upright, but there are no boxes, just flat angles, so storage isn't a problem... the walls are pvc board with plasticard from Fenris on (I did try and make some walls like Overlords stuff, but that was an epic fail), the bins are from Black Cat Bases, the drainpipe is plastic tube, the brackets are thicker bits of plastic tube, the corrugated iron is from an old Wills Scenics set I had (think you can get them from Antenociti)... essentially, aside from the bins which I already had and the plasticard brickwork which I needed to replace my previous mess, it's all scraps and bits I had lying around... the broken tarmac is also plasticard available from Fenris... I also have another wall made with a garage/loading bay door on it, but I haven't got round to getting it painted yet...

Thanks.  I use a lot of embossed plasticard for bases.  Will try this.

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 09:21:10 AM »

I recently started using a ligt tent and found that you actually need very little scenery before it is stuffed. If you would just have a few props like garbage bins and a blue police box, I would store these with the miniatures. They wouldn't look out of place.

As for the rest, loose walls and sidewalks can easily be stacked on top o other in a small box. Only in the case of complete buildings, and foliage, more space is needed. I just have some shelves for that on store the scenery there. I just put small builings inside the bigger ones and all my foliage is stacked away in old Citadel mail boxes.

Looking forward to your first pictures with terrain included :)
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 10:03:01 AM »

Next question: how did you get the posters/boards to look so nice?

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 10:22:54 AM »
Next question: how did you get the posters/boards to look so nice?

my originals are at a stupidly large resolution (around 700dpi I think) so when printed out on A4 they are as crisp as can be... cut out with a scalpel, very thin smear of pva onto some thin plasticard, put on another bit of card to keep it flat and sit a 2 litre bottle of water on top... when it's set, cut out the plasticard to the edge of the poster, stained with Gryphonne Sepia and Devlan Mud... edges of the plasticard pained with Foundry sand as the washes don't take well, gloss varnished, then dullcoted... et viola... any warping or bending, can still be bent out without too much worry...

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 10:25:35 AM »
I'd like to echo what the others have said , plus I like your conversions too. :-*

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 10:34:26 AM »
giraffe> thanks, so is it a laser print or a regular ink print? I would guess the latter gets screwed up when varnishing.

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 10:43:27 AM »
giraffe> thanks, so is it a laser print or a regular ink print? I would guess the latter gets screwed up when varnishing.

well I use the printers at work which are laser jet... never thought what the brush gloss could do to be honest, it just worked  :D

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 11:58:20 AM »
VERY nice. Simple scenery ideas that really bring the figures to life.

Although each time I see you Sylvester McCoy mini, I feel completely demotivated to finish painting mine!