Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:32:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A thought for GW players and future wars (Updated 6-6)  (Read 5965 times)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
A thought for GW players and future wars (Updated 6-6)
« on: June 05, 2009, 07:58:23 PM »
Well, every once in while I go looking through the local game store that specializes in collectible minis games to see if I can find anything with real potential, and I did. The Star Wars miniatures TIE Crawler. See the below photo comparison to a Games Workshop Chimera tank.

The treads are just a quarter-inch taller. So, in the morass of depravity I call my mind, and seeing one of the Golan Arms Infantry Cannon (the turret guns on Hoth in Empire Strikes Back), and knowing I had a great bunch of sprues that an friend gave that were leftovers from his Baneblade conversion to a Chaos Vehicle...I built these:

I threw an extra turret in there so you can see it as well. And here is a better view, one that has a some old GW Catachans for scale.

Here is a back view of the scratch-togethers. I used the treads off the tie crawlers, and used some plasticard to build the central bodies, and adorned it with pieces from my extensive bits box. The yellow one is a color shceme I am experimenting with - using the same yellow I used on the Cultists that I posted earlier this year in the LPL, and using black and 'boltgun metal' to adorn the vehicles. I think it should look pretty sharp when I am done.

The best part? These TIEs cost 99 cents each USD, at an Internet Store called Auggies Games in Georgia. Quick service - good service, and an easy to use webpage. He should probably give me a commission for putting his name here, but what the heck. I should have taken 'work in progress' photos, but I was doing it to try and keep myself busy while I stayed home with my wife's garndmother during her father's funeral (yeah, its been a bad week), so I was too focused on achieving my 'vision' to take photos. I went from getting the package in the mail at 1pm to having a base coat on the first one about 8pm, with a 2 hour break for a wake. Here's a link to Auggies...

http://store02.prostores.com/servlet/auggiesgames/StoreFront

So with a quick bit of work, I have two tanks that cost me less than $10 USD to get the materials for. A damned sight better than $45 each.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 09:34:29 AM by Sinewgrab »
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Re: A thought for GW players and future wars
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 08:43:04 PM »

Fantastic.  Nothing like a few choice bits to turn a scratch build from a collection of "stuff" into a proper model.

Well done.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 09:10:04 PM »
Those are wonderful!  Amazing job!

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 09:26:14 PM »
And, while I mean to use these for future wars stuff, you could easily add lots of rivets! The TIEs are very easy to work with polypropylene plastic.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 03:09:37 AM »
Holy crap there Sinewgrab,

I started to read this thread looking at the first pic only and i knew exactly what you was going to do.
Wicked kool scratchbuild indeed sir.
Man, it is simple and easy ideas that when you see them you ask yourself "now why in the hell didnt i think of that?"    LOL

Now for the left over main body to the TIE Crawler, question is what to use it for now?
Anyone have thoughts?   :-)

Grimm

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 03:17:26 AM »
Holy crap there Sinewgrab,

I started to read this thread looking at the first pic only and i knew exactly what you was going to do.
Wicked kool scratchbuild indeed sir.
Man, it is simple and easy ideas that when you see them you ask yourself "now why in the hell didnt i think of that?"    LOL

Now for the left over main body to the TIE Crawler, question is what to use it for now?
Anyone have thoughts?   :-)

Grimm

Honestly, I have been considering making standard TIE Fighter wings out of plasticard, and then I would have a couple of scale fighters for a science fiction RPG I am planning on running.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 07:17:37 AM »
And here we have a finished version, with the color scheme I am going to use with my Grymn, if I can find a way to afford to get them. I have two of them, but I want to get enough to make two full units to use as Stormtroopers in WH40K games.

I am calling it a Bane Wolf, which is a new variant tank from latest Imperial Guard codex, that shoots clouds of toxic gas, thus the tanks on the back, and nozzle like cannon.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 07:29:28 AM »
Honestly, I have been considering making standard TIE Fighter wings out of plasticard, and then I would have a couple of scale fighters for a science fiction RPG I am planning on running.

I have a few webcam balls that have met "unfortunate" early ends of their functioning life.  LOL  Ok so i worked computer retail for 10 years. I have collected some junk. Anyway, i have said webcam balls and also a few of the Wild Wild West Dr Loveless spider legs. 1x webcam ball + 4x spider legs = a nice walker droid of some kind to use in different formats. The ones i started on were for GASLIGHT VSF, but the idea is cross-genre capable i think.   :-)

Grimm

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 07:40:50 AM »
I hadn't considered putting legs on them for my VSF army...hmm, would have to add lots of rivets.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 07:50:49 AM »
And here we have a finished version, with the color scheme I am going to use with my Grymn, if I can find a way to afford to get them. I have two of them, but I want to get enough to make two full units to use as Stormtroopers in WH40K games.

Looks wicked kool there. Man, still kicking myself  LOL
Anyone have a question or few.
1 No WIP shots form the construction then eh?
2 The dozer blade on the front. Is that a GW blade?
3 The body, all scratch from styrene? I see some GW bits. But looks like a standard plastic box of types.
4 The door and muffler on the back. Door is scratch and the muffler is bitz?
5 I like the side "metal colored" circle molds. Could be a possible use for side sponsons maybe.

Last questions are for the APC on the far right from the original pic you posted.
6 GW dozer blade right. Backwards?
7 The body done in the same scratch fashion as your Bane Wolf?
8 The turret, i cant place it.

Looking good indeed. Keep it up  :-)

Grimm

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 07:57:15 AM »
I hadn't considered putting legs on them for my VSF army...hmm, would have to add lots of rivets.

Goes much quicker than it sounds. LOL
I say save em for your idea and find yourself some webcam balls and have at them.  :-)

Grimm

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 09:01:21 AM »

Looks wicked kool there. Man, still kicking myself  LOL
Anyone have a question or few.
1 No WIP shots form the construction then eh?

No, I am afraid not. Everything was done with bits from GW or .030 styrene/plasticard.

2 The dozer blade on the front. Is that a GW blade?

This is the new dozer blade that is packaged with their tanks - they wanted it to be more massive. I had an extra from a Basilisk I purchased recently.

3 The body, all scratch from styrene? I see some GW bits. But looks like a standard plastic box of types.

Exactly. I cut card to match up to lines that are already present in the TIE treads, so that they would glue more effectively.

4 The door and muffler on the back. Door is scratch and the muffler is bitz?

Correct again.

5 I like the side "metal colored" circle molds. Could be a possible use for side sponsons maybe.

Those are actually part of the original TIE sides.

Last questions are for the APC on the far right from the original pic you posted.
6 GW dozer blade right. Backwards?

Yep.

7 The body done in the same scratch fashion as your Bane Wolf?

Yep.

8 The turret, i cant place it.

The turret is a spare from a Baneblade a friend of mine got from his wife as a present, and did some heavy conversion to so that he could use it with his Chaos army. He gave me all his leftover bits, and I scrounged together two of these turrets, one of which is getting heavy bolters and the other multimeltas, so that I can use it as another Hellhound variant called a Devil Dog, which uses a melta cannon. Anything else I can answer for you?

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 02:47:29 PM »
Those are actually part of the original TIE sides.
Anything else I can answer for you?

Yeppers, i noticed they was part of the original TIE crawler. Just thinking they are a nice spot for a possible hardpoint.
As for more questions. LOL ok so i have had one or two or 60.  :-) Seems the post has been between you and i eh? Ok, one last question. how long is it gonna take ya to make me a few and send em out to me?  :-)

Keep it up, looking good.  :-)

Grimm

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 05:21:52 PM »
That would depend on what you have in trade, now wouldn't it? Have any Hasslefree Grymn?

:D

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 06:58:35 PM »
That would depend on what you have in trade, now wouldn't it? Have any Hasslefree Grymn?

:D

No no no Grymm for you!
Cant have my Grymm for 2 reasons. 1st i like em alot as well and would like to get some as well. 2nd i aint got any.  :-(

Grimm