Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:59:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686488
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm late war British & Germans  (Read 131855 times)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: 28mm late war British infantry
« Reply #270 on: February 11, 2020, 10:21:23 AM »
(Ash)
Thanks! Yeah they do look nice. But I guess I already set myself up with my last Amizon order for 1/48's for this project.  ;D
(Shahbahraz)
Nice! That's one a decent way to fallow the war.
I Am debating on fallowing my one of my wife's Grandad who served in the U.S. 90th Infantry from Normandy to What is now the Czech republic.
I would do one on her other Grandpa but, he was a member of UPA. And I think It would a lot harder to find figures to represent that sort of war.  :o
If I wanted to do my grandparents, well one was still a little to young to have served in the war. And the other one was a P-39 pilot in the Pacific. So that is a different scale and style of gameing entirely.  lol
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #271 on: February 13, 2020, 08:16:54 PM »
Think this is finished.

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #272 on: February 14, 2020, 12:35:48 AM »
Lovely work  :-*

Offline Mr C

• Bookworm
« Reply #273 on: February 14, 2020, 12:56:57 AM »
Thats cracking! Got myself a pile of 1:48 Tamiya kits to get started on!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #274 on: February 14, 2020, 07:36:55 AM »
Very nice, got tk ask. What paint did you use for this tank?

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #275 on: February 14, 2020, 09:17:32 AM »
Hmm. I posted a lengthy reply to the Commissar. I wonder where it went?
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Swordisdrawn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • '
    • Sword is Drawn
« Reply #276 on: February 14, 2020, 12:34:33 PM »
Spot on.
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn and the scabbard thrown away!'

Instagram Swordisdrawn264

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #277 on: February 14, 2020, 01:17:55 PM »
Cheers chaps.

Very nice, got tk ask. What paint did you use for this tank?

Mixed bag. Mate of mine just gave me an old Badger Airbrush, which will be my got-to for priming (I think; vallejo primer does tend to rub off, unlike good old rattle cans). So primed with Vallejo black primer, then Tamiya TS-61 'NATO green' (rattle can), then had a go with some Model Air 'Green BLM62', which i think is for WW2 Jerry armour.
Then chucked some MIG enamel brown wash at it; a fair amount of MIG pigments and some of the Vallejo thick (rubbery) mud.

Hmm. I posted a lengthy reply to the Commissar. I wonder where it went?

Mmm... not seen. On another thread perhaps...

Spot on.

Thanks very much.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 02:44:12 PM by Ash »

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #278 on: February 14, 2020, 03:13:55 PM »
(Ash)
Thanks! Yeah they do look nice. But I guess I already set myself up with my last Amizon order for 1/48's for this project.  ;D
(Shahbahraz)
Nice! That's one a decent way to fallow the war.
I Am debating on fallowing my one of my wife's Grandad who served in the U.S. 90th Infantry from Normandy to What is now the Czech republic.
I would do one on her other Grandpa but, he was a member of UPA. And I think It would a lot harder to find figures to represent that sort of war.  :o
If I wanted to do my grandparents, well one was still a little to young to have served in the war. And the other one was a P-39 pilot in the Pacific. So that is a different scale and style of gameing entirely.  lol

I have a range of choices, so one uncle was intelligence corps from the desert onwards, low-level stuff, translations, interrogations etc. two more in the Black Watch, another RAF, another Royal Scots Greys. On the other side, Black Watch, Seaforths and another missed WW2, and did Black Watch then Kings African Rifles in Kenya. My dad was too young for WW2 but was Royal Scots Greys post-war on Centurions. Great Uncles and Grandfathers, Black Watch, WW1, 7 out of 8 brothers were killed, the other invalided out with respiratory failure in a gas attack. My other grandfather was unfit to serve due to polio.

So mainly Black Watch for me.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #279 on: February 15, 2020, 01:24:30 AM »
Thanks Ash! Always nice to see how folks bring their models to life.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #280 on: February 15, 2020, 01:38:36 AM »
I have a range of choices, so one uncle was intelligence corps from the desert onwards, low-level stuff, translations, interrogations etc. two more in the Black Watch, another RAF, another Royal Scots Greys. On the other side, Black Watch, Seaforths and another missed WW2, and did Black Watch then Kings African Rifles in Kenya. My dad was too young for WW2 but was Royal Scots Greys post-war on Centurions. Great Uncles and Grandfathers, Black Watch, WW1, 7 out of 8 brothers were killed, the other invalided out with respiratory failure in a gas attack. My other grandfather was unfit to serve due to polio.

So mainly Black Watch for me.
That is allot to choose from!
I got a few other relatives that served, but i was going for world war 2 on that post. But I did have a great Uncle who was a merchant Marine in WW2.
My dad caught the tail end of Nam in the Airforce Combat engineers, "Red Horse".
I served in the 2-504PIR 82nd Airborne in Iraq and Afghanistan. And my great grandfather was in the cavalry in the Punitive expaditon to Mexico, was a transferred to the Infantry as a Captain in the AEF and fought in the trenches there. He also got gassed and had a cough the rest of his life and had a bald spot across his scalp after a bullet grazed off his helmet. Transferd to the Air Corp and was killed in a landing accident while inspecting the Pacific Coast Air bases in 42.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 01:44:35 AM by commissarmoody »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #281 on: February 15, 2020, 01:39:46 AM »
Always cool to hear folks family histories.

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #282 on: February 16, 2020, 01:39:24 AM »
The Churchill came out well and looks great alongside your nicely painted Tommies.
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #283 on: February 21, 2020, 11:42:13 AM »
....another Royal Scots Greys.

So he would have known Ranulph Fiennes' dad (also Ranulph), who was CO until he stepped on an S-mine in Italy?  Did your dad serve with Ranulph junior, or would he have been too old?

Great Uncles and Grandfathers, Black Watch, WW1, 7 out of 8 brothers were killed, the other invalided out with respiratory failure in a gas attack.

Good grief, that's appalling bad luck.  I think that's the biggest loss I've ever come across from one set of siblings.  I had four maternal great uncles in WW1, three in 2/Irish Guards (one was in Jack Kipling's platoon), 1 in (R)AMC.  Guess which was the only one to receive so much as a scratch (well, shell shock to be strictly accurate).  One of his sisters looked after Uncle Mick until he died (late 1940s, I think), but the other three all lived on into the 1960s, just.  I think I met one or two of them, but was very small at the time and don't remember anything of it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 11:44:19 AM by Baron von Wreckedoften »
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #284 on: February 21, 2020, 01:07:58 PM »
My dad was a bit older (8 years) than Fiennes Jnr, and my Uncle would have known Fiennes senior, but I never really got to talk to him (Uncle) about his service. My dad's service seemed to consist of riding Centurions around Salisbury Plain, bulling boots and painting things. He got some stripes, so couldn't have done too much wrong.

My father was the youngest of 10 siblings so when I was growing up, half the uncles were already dead or very elderly. I met the last of my Grandmothers brothers in the early 70s when he would have been in his early 70s and bed ridden, having had respiratory problems from gas damage his whole life. Again, I was too young to really have a conversation with him, and like all the men I have known who actually saw the elephant, he was incredibly reticent about his war service.

The only one I really know anything about was an 'Uncle' (well, the husband of a life-long friend of my grandmother's), who was part of 11th Arm'd Division and went into Bergen-Belsen when it was liberated in 45. He became deeply religious and when I knew him would only talk about the war in biblical terms. Ironically, many years later he suffered a stroke which had the side effect of making him swear every second word. Sort of a stroke-induced Tourette's.