Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:42:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689660
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mother of Spiders  (Read 6817 times)

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
Re: Mother of Spiders
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2019, 01:16:23 PM »
Yeah, that's my kinda mini  :D.
Nice one, nice idea and a good classic sculpty feel about her. Acolytes are an excellen idea, as would be a couple of her creations ( half-spiders, Frankensteinesque spiders, that sort of thing ).
Leadhead

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2019, 02:15:38 PM »
Minging.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2019, 02:28:57 PM »
A great, novel design!

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2019, 02:30:21 PM »
And I had no idea I needed an undead sheep, until I checked out the Bears Head site.  lol

Offline PhilH

• Scientist
    • Bears Head Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2019, 02:44:25 PM »
.....as would be a couple of her creations ( half-spiders, Frankensteinesque spiders, that sort of thing ).

That is genius. I’m trying yo figure out how they’d work just now 👍

Offline PhilH

• Scientist
    • Bears Head Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2019, 02:45:57 PM »
Minging.

Which reminds me. I’ll have some bits to post for painting soon. Including this beaut :D

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2019, 04:44:47 PM »
Yeah, that's my kinda mini  :D.
Nice one, nice idea and a good classic sculpty feel about her. Acolytes are an excellen idea, as would be a couple of her creations ( half-spiders, Frankensteinesque spiders, that sort of thing ).

Great idea, centaur spiders; human torso from the mid section, two human arms on top of the 8 arachnid legs? Don't Reaper have something similar? The heads could be more like the spider mother though?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 04:47:45 PM by Elk101 »

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2019, 05:52:42 PM »
The spider centaurs sound great as experiments that went right.

Then there are the horrible ones who went wrong … Jeff Goldblum mid-transformation stylie - nothing symmetrical.

I used to love the Runequest scorpion men, they were great and saw much service in my (almost always defeated) Warhammer 2nd Edition armies.

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2019, 06:38:04 PM »
how about dogspiders?  ;)  ;D

Offline Loop

• Assistant
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2019, 07:00:04 PM »
Great idea, centaur spiders; human torso from the mid section, two human arms on top of the 8 arachnid legs? Don't Reaper have something similar? The heads could be more like the spider mother though?

In RPG terms, they’re called Driders and date back from AD&D 1e

Quote from Wikipedia:

“In the game, they are drow (dark elves) which have been transformed from the waist down so they have the lower body of a spider. The transformation is typically a punishment for offending their goddess, Lolth, or failing one of her tests.”

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2019, 09:46:00 PM »
In RPG terms, they’re called Driders and date back from AD&D 1e

Quote from Wikipedia:

“In the game, they are drow (dark elves) which have been transformed from the waist down so they have the lower body of a spider. The transformation is typically a punishment for offending their goddess, Lolth, or failing one of her tests.”

They're also a well-covered subject already, and making new minis of them is unlikely to sell very well in a market crowded with competition.  More original spider hybrids are a fine idea, but more driders?  They've been done, I would argue done to death.

How about stealing a page from Chia Mieville and having an otherwise-humanoid body with the head replaced by a spider?  As an experiment, maybe the neck's just a stump and the spider's webs run down into the (reanimated, puppeted) body.  A spider whose web strands are actually invasive nerve filaments would be suitably creepy.  Bit of a head crab vibe from Half Life, but the web idea would add a little twist to it.

Or a zombielike host body stumbling around stuffed full of spider hatchlings.  All swollen and bulging, with the decaying flesh barely held together by layers of webbing.  Depending on how many of the spiderlings are still inside (assuming they "move out" when they grow up) it might also look like an emaciated corpse or mummy, again wrapped in webs.

Or a werespider, preferably in multiple forms including a partial-transformed version with a humanoid body all twisted and bent with the normal arms and legs all warped into spider limbs - maybe have each limb splitting into two arachnoid legs and the face sprouting fangs and pedipalps and extra eyes.

Even a spider body with a human head would be more unique than a drider, although it's still not very original.  Good Japanese mythological critter, though.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2019, 09:47:48 PM »
I'm worried about the people on this site now.

I need to go have a lie down and hope I don't have nightmares.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2019, 09:47:56 PM »
And I had no idea I needed an undead sheep, until I checked out the Bears Head site.  lol

I felt exactly the same way when I stumbled across it the other day.  In hindsight, an entire undead farmstead display is just the thing to fill that aching void in my life.  :)

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2019, 09:48:53 PM »
I'm worried about the people on this site now.

I need to go have a lie down and hope I don't have nightmares.

Really?  It took till now?  :)

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2019, 08:04:13 AM »
Even a spider body with a human head would be more unique than a drider, although it's still not very original.  Good Japanese mythological critter, though.

I'd by that, but I'd be slightly freaked out by it.