Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:31:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Returning to SoTR/The Hobby after 10 years.  (Read 26374 times)

Offline wolivant

• Librarian
Re: Returning to SoTR/The Hobby after 10 years.
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2019, 10:30:35 PM »
Thanks for sharing the AAR and figure painting progress so far....

Looking forward to seeing more.

I have the SoTR rules but not played them yet, do they lean more toward roleplaying, wargaming or a mix?

Regards

Wolt

Offline Bowiefan

• Bookworm
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2019, 02:19:23 PM »
I have the SoTR rules but not played them yet, do they lean more toward roleplaying, wargaming or a mix?

Hi Wolt,

Will try to answer your question as best I can. The core design of SoTR is as a platoon level wargame. It scales quite well, so it is easy enough to play smaller squad based skirmish games or larger battles (though that is more demanding time-wise). Like most wargames, it really benefits when games are played with a strong narrative driving them. The original rules only have 3 'story' missions, with extras added via the supplement book 'Doomsday'. There are also a couple of campaign PDFs available for free via the West Wind Productions website. The onus is very much on the players to tell their own stories, but the setting really offers a rich playground to explore. There are dedicated D20 based RPG books out there that share the same 'weird war' setting, and I have a couple as sources of inspiration. However, roleplaying isn't anything I've dabbled in, so I can't discuss the merits of SoTR to that end. I do feel confident in saying that between SoTR and a RPG sourcebook, you'd probably be set to play any game you fancy with a 'weird' World War II vibe. Hope that helps.

Offline Glenn

• Bookworm
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2019, 11:36:09 AM »
An observation if I may?

I think SOTR lends itself brilliantly to a roleplaying storyline, whether you run individual skirmishes as stories on their own or within a campaign narrative the special rules and background lend themselves perfectly well to adding rpg elements and personalising the game. Form my experience it's also a bloody good background to set an actual RPG in and the chance for a party of characters to play a British Mi13 commando cell (for example) sets up all sorts of special forces/behind the enemy lines types games and of course with everything from vampires and zombies to space tech and mechs , shadowy occult organisations on all sides and a change in the status from the allies being alongside the soviets to them becoming an enemy means you'll never run out of baddies ....or alternatively......there's always a chance for the youth of mother russia or the fatherland to fight against each other or the decadent west etc.

Offline Corporal Chaos

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2019, 02:15:29 AM »
@Bowiefan is there any place that has an example of play? I’m curious about SOTR but have never seen the rules.

@Glenn and Bowiefan, is there an experience mechanic or advancement rule for units in the campaign....

I have no experience with the rules and would enjoy seeing(reading) how they work. Thanks in advance.
I should be painting right now.

Offline Bowiefan

• Bookworm
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2019, 09:04:16 PM »
@Corporal Chaos

The game being essentially a decade old limited what I could find online. There was a single battle report I came across on youtube (though it isn't ideal in terms of showing you the game at its best): Link

Offline Corporal Chaos

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2019, 01:29:21 AM »
Thank you.

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2019, 04:37:23 PM »

Yes, since Westwind shut their own forum down there's not out there, though you might find the odd bit on forums like DakkaDakka (if I'm remembering correctly). It's a pity the video is of an infantry only game, without any of the 'weird'.

Offline Bowiefan

• Bookworm
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2019, 06:58:03 PM »
Indeed Ballardian, it was difficult to find much beyond the odd topic on forums or blogs (though there is a facebook group). Another example, where the SoTR rules are compared to Bolt Action...well linking doesn't seem to work, so google Delta Vector Bolt Action vs Secrets of the Third Reich.

In terms of my own activity, had to switch gears slightly and I'm currently painting up a Necromunda gang for a local campaign starting next soon. Gone with Escher, which was certainly a colour explosion compared to WW2 uniforms! Still assembling and underdcoating stuff for SoTR though including some British Temple forces, more Germans and a couple of Soviet light mechs.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 07:00:52 PM by Bowiefan »

Offline Glenn

• Bookworm
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2019, 06:40:03 PM »
My tabletop group is about to start a Godlike rpg campaign...and then I bought the westwind templar aquisitors at Phalanx in St.Helens yesterday and immediately I was thinking we need to play SOTR again. too many games, too little time!  ;D

Offline Bowiefan

• Bookworm
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2019, 07:28:47 PM »
too many games, too little time!  ;D

The bane of us all. I'm currently building/painting minis for and/or reading rules for the following:

SoTR
Bolt Action/Konflikt
Infinity
Necromunda
The Walking Dead: All Out War/Project Z

On topic, been in touch with one of the chaps who played a demo game I put on. They are keen to play again, so working on some potential 15-20 RP forces just to give a better idea of the game. Although they are also equally distracted by Kill Team, 40K, Dark Souls, Fallout...you get the idea.

Offline Bowiefan

• Bookworm
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2019, 04:16:14 PM »
MI 13 Report: Recent activity has been limited, likely due to the nefarious actions of agents of the Temple. Rumoured sighting of a Templar Assault Squad by PVT. Gordon hard to verify. PVT. Gordon now believed MIA.

Offline Bowiefan

• Bookworm
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2019, 04:43:35 PM »
To oversee Temple scheming, a Mr. Smythe was essential. Enjoyed painting this one, probably because I'd forgotten that single minis feel speedy in comparison to whole squads. My first use of a citadel contrast paint (snakebite leather) on the coat as well, though I only used it as a base. Once the mini was finished, but clean, I couldn't decide if I should add blood splatters as he appears in Andy Cooper's Doomsday artwork (shared to explain the point only). After worrying I'd ruin it, I just went for it. Am I happy with the result? No idea. It's done now though and ready to game with.

(Note, the 'clean' picture was a rare one with decent lighting. It didn't last).

Offline wolivant

• Librarian
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2019, 10:49:48 PM »
I have been resisting buying the Smythe pack from West Wind for ages..... thought I had gotten over it...

I think you just relighted the fire.. <Boy band playing in background> Aghhh.......

I feel a purchase coming on... must resist... but I know its futile...

Wolt

Offline Glenn

• Bookworm
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2019, 06:08:02 PM »
I have been resisting buying the Smythe pack from West Wind for ages..... thought I had gotten over it...

I think you just relighted the fire.. <Boy band playing in background> Aghhh.......

I feel a purchase coming on... must resist... but I know its futile...

Wolt

Yup

I know that feeling...hadn't bought any for ages then HAD to buy the templar aquisitors pack and am about to buy the Smyth and red claw and flesh golem set....

Offline Skullhamma

• Scientist
    • 15mm through space and time blog
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2019, 03:17:21 PM »
A lot of wonderful eye candy here! Very nice.