Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:38:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Harlock's Hoplites  (Read 28613 times)

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
Re: Captain Harlock's Hoplites
« Reply #165 on: October 22, 2020, 04:15:27 AM »
That’s one very smart cat you’ve got Captain ;)   Lovely work indeed...so evocative that I can already imagine painting it
Figures painted 2020 : 100

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #166 on: October 22, 2020, 06:18:16 AM »
Beautiful! Since Footsore released their Greeks for Mortal Gods, I had a great time painting them and playing the Mortal Gods ruleset. So all your Greeks will be a great addition. :-*

I would love to see a set of Athenian Marine Akontistai (Mortal Gods), thus three light armoured bodies, with attached left arm for the hoplon with seperate head and seperate right arm. Than a variety of right arms with spears and javalins and heads. So that you can make with the three bodies a couple of different units of three.

I really like all the characters you are doing and can't wait to pre-order them, but as a Mortal Gods player I would love to see you do some units of three to spice up my Lochogos. I like the Victrix plastics, but some more variety would be great.  :D

Offline jcspqr

• Librarian
« Reply #167 on: October 23, 2020, 07:11:02 PM »
Your sculpts look great.  I also think there is definitely a market out there for quality (water slide) hoplite transfers.  As previously mentioned, the LBM transfers are great, but they just don't really work on domed hoplons.

Looking forward to seeing your business go live.

Jim

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #168 on: November 02, 2020, 07:34:03 PM »

This is the grey primed resin cast of the Spartan General. I just have to find the time to take some photos of the rest of the set and I will announce prices and shipping in a new commercial thread. We are going live in the next days! Gentlemen start your engines!

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #169 on: November 02, 2020, 08:02:15 PM »
Yay! :-*

Lysandros looks great!

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #170 on: November 02, 2020, 08:17:03 PM »
Yay! :-*

Lysandros looks great!
Ηe will be included in the set.

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #171 on: November 02, 2020, 10:07:26 PM »
Awesome!

I am delighted to see this project progress to this stage.

Offline M.O.T.N

• Librarian
    • Edinburgh Miniature Company
« Reply #172 on: November 03, 2020, 01:42:36 PM »
Great stuff, glad to see you keep going with this, well worth the effort.

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #173 on: November 03, 2020, 06:45:40 PM »
Great news and another excellent figure....shall be waiting for your launch announcement

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #174 on: November 04, 2020, 07:48:45 PM »
Ηe will be included in the set.

I am daily checking this page. :-*

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #175 on: November 07, 2020, 08:09:47 PM »
Ok guys the latest update.
I have about 30+ sets of minis already cast. Practically I was ready to go live BUT nobody expects the Greek Ministry of Health  lol. The whole pandemic second phase doesnt look that good and a national 3 weeks lock down had to be enforced. That means that moving around for people in non essential occupations is restricted to groceries, medical reasons, brief walks for exercise or to take out pets etc. The post office is supposed to be working, but the key word is SUPPOSED lol.

I want your opinions on the available options.

1) Go live and take preorders that will be fullfilled in the first days of December when the lock down will be lifted. (the minis are already cast, just need to be boxed)

2) Go live and fullfill as many of the orders Im able due to the restrictions. I cant go every day to the post office so that means that there will be a shipping once every Friday in order to be able to send as many as possible parcels on one go.

Im just trying to find the best and less annoying sollution for everybody.

The shipping option will be A class registered mail with tracking number in order to avoid ''exciting surprises'' due to the pandemic situation.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 08:18:37 PM by Captain Harlock »

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #176 on: November 07, 2020, 10:13:30 PM »
My egotistical answer is option 2 and a reservation of one the thirty finished sets.  ;)

But if option 1 it's the easiest and less stressful way for  you, than please chose that option. The whole pandemic with various lockdowns is already stressful enough, so maybe wait until december.

I am already happy that it is happening.  :-*

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #177 on: November 10, 2020, 09:02:01 PM »
For what its worth ($0.002) I’d go for option one...that way everyone knows they’ve been shipped and you don’t have to go to the Post Office every time an order comes in....I will however be happy with whatever you ultimately decide...as soon as you go live I’m in

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #178 on: November 15, 2020, 09:44:29 PM »

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
Re: Captain Harlock's Hoplites-Making a boeotian shield
« Reply #179 on: November 23, 2020, 05:02:08 PM »
I decided to make  a boeotian shield. The boeotian shields co-existed with the early versions of hoplon. They were an evolution of the eight-shaped mycenean shields and unlike the wooden core hoplon, they were built over a wicker frame. There are no surviving examples, but there are numerous depictions in pottery, terracota miniatures and statuettes. In the pottery depictions usually they are carried by homeric heroes, mythical beings like the giant Gyriones and Gods, emphasising perhaps the old fashion nature of this shield.

First I made a milliput form in the right shape and curvature. Then I flattened a layer of magic sculpt + green stuff on top of the master form, in order to make a shell. I trimmed it down and filed the cut aways. Then using plasticard I made the rim. Glued it on and chopped the cut away parts.