Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:50:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686487
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Harlock's Hoplites  (Read 28611 times)

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
Re: Captain Harlock's Hoplites
« Reply #195 on: May 23, 2021, 08:23:38 PM »
Supercool painting! Keep them coming  :)
About the long hair. Long hair were pretty standard during the archaic era all over Greece. There are some opinions that the older, long hair styles were favoured by the aristocratic traditionalists in Athens. There is a detail that you can see in pottery. Those who didnt have long hair wore a sort of beanie hat or tied a tiny cushion like thing at the back of their neck, before they put their helmet on. The ones who had long hair are seen in many instances to tie them in a double pony tale, sort of like a samurai knot but lower and more loose to get them out of the way and also double down as a form of cushion. The first time I noticed it I smiled because having very long hair for most of my life, I too used to tie them in that way to get them out of the way.

Now Updates.
My injury was more serious than I expected. The problem is 3 herniated disks and that forced me to take a much longer break from sculpting than I planned. I followed a quite new non surgical treatment, I still have to be careful but at least the pain is gone the two major herneae reduced and the third seems to be gone. I have to say that I was surprised to discover the empathy of neurosurgeons when I explained my hobbies.

So getting back at it.

10 sculpts in different poses, I will try my best for interchangeable hands with weapons and arms. Hopefully you will be able to build a phalanx in full motion and variety + offcourse the officer minis.  ;)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #196 on: May 23, 2021, 08:36:05 PM »
Best wishes to get well soon!
Keep up your so wonderful work! Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
    • Ancient Hellenistic Battles mostly
« Reply #197 on: May 23, 2021, 09:10:29 PM »
Yes, please get better so you can continue your work! Hey I have a request- if you sculpt that archer dolly as the Skythian I will try to paint it (LOL). Also, nobody does a herald in this scale AFAIK, the staff would be difficult in resin, but...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/RzpXZU2p4yVap7Rag2Ke4QCnza4FDk_tvr0TqL_t0398vmbIdibHacapNx-xMQE7jxdo1A0yMSj6MIDnsH6qMCMpOjz63iiMyVxuovwOQN1JaCtFZWA

In a few more days I will have the Kallimachos (Callimachus) photos up on www.ancientbattles.com thanks for the heads-up on the hair, I will add that into the description.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 09:23:08 PM by Jjonas »
JJonas

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #198 on: May 23, 2021, 09:58:16 PM »
Yes, please get better so you can continue your work! Hey I have a request- if you sculpt that archer dolly as the Skythian I will try to paint it (LOL). Also, nobody does a herald in this scale AFAIK, the staff would be difficult in resin, but...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/RzpXZU2p4yVap7Rag2Ke4QCnza4FDk_tvr0TqL_t0398vmbIdibHacapNx-xMQE7jxdo1A0yMSj6MIDnsH6qMCMpOjz63iiMyVxuovwOQN1JaCtFZWA

In a few more days I will have the Kallimachos (Callimachus) photos up on www.ancientbattles.com thanks for the heads-up on the hair, I will add that into the description.

I was going for the ''Hercules'' archer hoplite with the lion shaped helmet from Afaia in Aegina but I could probably make a Scythian too. I have some ideas for non combatant vignietes and a herald is already included. The Kerykeion is difficult to cast but there is a workaround. I can make the details not hollow through but deep enough to paint them black and with some edge highlights have a very similar result.
Most people think that only the Spartans had long hair. The Spartans were the only ones binded by law to have long hair. For the rest cities the fashion came and go, but judging from the pottery its safe to say that during the pre-classic period long hair was the norm especially for young warriors.

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #199 on: May 23, 2021, 11:02:03 PM »
Please do look after yourself and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #200 on: May 24, 2021, 08:18:54 AM »
Please do look after yourself and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

+1

amazing skill / sculpting . Hope you're back in the saddle afore too long.