Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:46:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Painting blocks  (Read 6167 times)

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Painting blocks
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2009, 12:02:43 PM »
Terror lies in numbers for me. I've tried painting a German force for T&T but after 26 or so minis I almost start shaking and crying just thinking of "Germen Fieldgrey"...
I actually start getting nervous painting up a six model group of explorers for DA.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 05:05:13 PM »
Numbers.

Until relatively recently I used to have a really good focus: base up and prime half a dozen minis, and then paint them until finished: job done. Now, for some reason, I seem to have become really bad at polishing them off. I've nearly a dozen on the go now and however much I try, none of them ever seem to get finished. It's driving me mad! I think I started on several minis that actually I wasn't too bothered about to start with, plus a couple with tricky/fiddly paint schemes, so the more I look at them the less motivated I seem to become...

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 05:47:43 PM »
Getting the first color on the figures. Once I clear that I can have the ten or twenty figures on the table done in a weeks worth of evenings. Its the initial commitment I have trouble getting to.

Not having a specific project to work towards slows me down as well.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 09:28:37 PM »
The German infantry I did for one LPL3 round were the first historicals I've done, ever, and I found them unexpectedly intimidating... dammit, there's actual books about these guys, with colour plates and even photos, I can't just invent stuff out of my head and plow onward!

So I appear to have the opposite problem to a few people upthread who are fine painting historical uniforms but bad at painting off-the-cuff...

The Germans were also tough because the dark feldgrau took more highlighting, shading and blacklining than I usually use to make it look anything other than flat & dark.

Eyeballs used to block me, but I've got a good system now that doesn't actually use a paintbrush - I take a toothpick, sharpen it to a pinpoint, and use that to apply first white then the black pupil. Much more controllable than a tiny paintbrush!

Offline Terrible Tim

• Scientist
    • The Wargamer
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2009, 09:13:03 AM »
Just curious, what things put bumps in your painting production lines?

The only things that stop me from painting are children, only picked up a brush twice in the last 6 months... On those occassions for a whole 20 minutes a time! Supprisingly I haven't finished much so far this year.

For some reason twins in the house seem to make everything else seem like a distant dream, painting, hobbies, relaxing, sleep...

I could not agree more. A wife and few kids slow me down.....but they are good fun. I find now I paint in spurts....I am having a small lull at present.  :D

...Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen....

Blog: www.the-wargamer.com

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2009, 10:09:45 AM »
Just curious, what things put bumps in your painting production lines?

This damned heat.   :(  I haven't painted anything for almost a week.

Heat-wave over.  :)  Hay-fever back under control.  :D  painting resumes tonight... lol lol lol

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2009, 05:31:55 PM »
I have problems coming up with color schemes, AND with painting in numbers. 

I've also tried using sci-fi art books as inspiration.  Sometimes that works, but other times I've come up with weird looking schemes that I hated. >:(

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2009, 07:54:35 PM »

Heat-wave over.  :)  ...

What is the English version of a heatwave? At this time of year, Toronto's usually dripping with sweat but not this year.  We're sitting at about 25°C at the moment, which I find comfortable, but we are often 30­° or higher in July-August.  A lot of rain this summer, too.
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2009, 09:22:01 PM »
As a Canadian, you would laugh at our definition of a heatwave.

But not as much as you would laugh at our definition of 'a severe winter'  ;)

Two inches of snow and the whole country grinds to a halt.

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2009, 02:01:54 AM »
Two inches of snow and the whole country grinds to a halt.

Two inches and I tighten the laces on my running shoes! Truthfully, I haven't worn winter boots for at least a decade, in spite of several attempts by Mother Nature to persuade me otherwise.  Last winter's driveway clearing left a pile on the lawn that was literally over my head (I'm 6'4"!) and I'm out shovelling in my runners!

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2009, 12:39:13 PM »
Getting the first color on the figures. Once I clear that I can have the ten or twenty figures on the table done in a weeks worth of evenings. Its the initial commitment I have trouble getting to.

Not having a specific project to work towards slows me down as well.

Same goes for me.

Determining which project to do is the most difficult.  Once I have decided on the project, then I'm off painting blocks of 10 to 12 figures at a time.

When I first started wargaming... in the 70's, we played on ping pong tables.  Yea gotta have a lot of troops to do that.  When I'm painting only a few miniatures I feel like I am almost wasting my time...