Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:58:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Tilean Campaign  (Read 114322 times)

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
Re: Pictures from my Tilean Campaign
« Reply #315 on: November 05, 2020, 10:01:48 PM »
Where's the colossus from? Is it being used as a giant or does it have rules of his own?
Damian asked to have it in his campaign army, paid extra points for it, and awaited its construction over a fairly long period of game world time. We use the rules of a Tomb Kings model, slightly modified. I will look it up when I am in the correct room tomorrow and post it up.

I'll be moving the battle over to Bigsmallworlds soon, but if you want to see it now it is already 'up' at http://forum.oldhammer.org.uk/viewtopic.php?p=103692#p103692

I went over and read the battle report. I know that it was fought within the context of a campaign, which means that either side could have had a stronger force, but I would be curious to know what the points would have been for each side?
I can answer tomorrow when I can get to my files (see my comment above). The allies had a substantially greater points value than the undead, and the duchess was taking quite a risk making such a bold attack. But she has had some easy victories in the past, even when the enemy technically had more points, and so she was willing to risk it.
My Tilean Campaign can be found at https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #316 on: November 06, 2020, 08:45:28 PM »
WuZhuiQiu

The Living
The Portomaggioran force was 4492 pts, less several hundred as I think two units of light horse were not on the field but were ready elsewhere to assist in a retreat (flight?) if necessary!
949 pts of Remans were attached to the army.

So about 5200 pts or so in total. On the wrong side of a river in flow (difficult terrain for everyone, even foot soldiers, except ethereal troops of course) and with most of the missile troops in defences.

The Undead
Maria's army was 2864 pts, and the Army of the Church of Nagash was 860 pts. So 3724 pts in total. Although the Corpse Wagon (which would have been 265 pts) had been looted and so we counted only the 120 pts to give it corpse cart rules. So you could add the 265 to make almost 4000 pts. Still, more than 1000 pts less than the living.

Luigi
The Colossus was a Hierotitan from Tomb Kings's list, and was counted as costing 175 pts (standard) although Damian had paid more than that to obtain it as such non-list additions cost more and need a story behind them. It was relatively easy to convert the rules, for example the +D3 to casting within 12" worked for the wizard who had designed its construction. It still had Shem's Burning Gaze and Spirit Leech bound spells.

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #317 on: November 06, 2020, 09:02:56 PM »
Some more pics, this time from the actual fighting (i.e. post deployment)

(Yes, the enemy had taken down nearly all the horses. It was such a big model we counted the skellie horses as like a unit, and the wagon as a unit. The more horses were killed, the slower it got!)

In case anyone is interested, these are the sorts of pictures I had to put out by the many dozen for the players - we were doing play by e-mail due to the pandemic. The game took about 5 days, and I had to send out LOADS of orientation pics like this - for magic, movement, missile ranges, etc etc.

You might be able to see the extraordinary amount of damage the undead recevied from the enemy's magic, missile, and magic enhanced missiles in the pic compared to the one two pics above. The hexwraiths, mortis engine and vargheists have all gone!

Offline Luigi

• Scientist
« Reply #318 on: November 06, 2020, 09:18:18 PM »
Thank you for the clarification.

I like the idea of using a "fixed" version of a different army's unit for a point tax.

Where's the actual model from?

I enjoy these technical shots (that show the mechanics of each game) just as much as the whole report.

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #319 on: November 07, 2020, 01:18:24 AM »
WuZhuiQiu

The Living

The Undead

Thank you! I was inquiring about the earlier siege, but this was informative, none the less. Given those range indications, I suppose that there would not have been much guessing of artillery ranges, then?

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #320 on: November 07, 2020, 01:30:43 AM »
@ WuZhuiQiu

Oops. I'll look up the pts values for the other battle tomorrow. As for ranges, in 8th ed' WFB, you can measure anything, anytime. Basically the rules say do what you like with a tape measure. Thus my pictures.

@ Luigi
I will ask Damian where he got it from.

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #321 on: November 08, 2020, 11:19:38 AM »
@ WuZhuiQiu

Perette's 'Brabanzon' mercenaries and Baron Garoy's company of knights: 1000 pts (not including peasant wall defenders and the organ gun gifted by the dwarfen engineer, who built it from abandoned leadbelcher barrels!)

Grey Seer Urlack's force = 2000 pts (cos they left all their engines of war at the tunnels being slowly 'extracted'!

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #322 on: November 08, 2020, 11:46:50 AM »
More pics, from later in the battle ...

Run away!

(The duchess had died, and Biagino really wanted to stay undead, so he ordered the army of the Church of Nagash to skidaddle!)

Berhardt foolishly tried to obtain revenge for the death of his beloved mistress

These didn't hold the knights up for long at all!

'Where do you thing you're going?'

The necromancer Saffiro desperately trying to repair some of the damage

While failing (somehow) to notice what was behind him!

My favourite undead charactter, Biagino esapes (again!)

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #323 on: November 08, 2020, 02:26:35 PM »
@ WuZhuiQiu

Perette's 'Brabanzon' mercenaries and Baron Garoy's company of knights: 1000 pts (not including peasant wall defenders and the organ gun gifted by the dwarfen engineer, who built it from abandoned leadbelcher barrels!)

Grey Seer Urlack's force = 2000 pts (cos they left all their engines of war at the tunnels being slowly 'extracted'!

Thank you! It was a spirited defence, one which lasted longer than one might have expected based on points alone!

Yesterday, I was tempted to buy a copy of WHFB 8th, just to follow along with more insight! Sadly, there would not seem to be a critical mass of focused players around here such that a campaign like yours would even be feasible...

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #324 on: November 08, 2020, 02:30:12 PM »
Spirited indeed. And she got away! I'm working on new riders to accompany her, and a mounted version of Perette too!

Offline Luigi

• Scientist
« Reply #325 on: November 08, 2020, 02:45:16 PM »
More pics, from later in the battle ...
Amazing as always. It's incredible how a few well palced pictures bring a game to life.

Sadly, there would not seem to be a critical mass of focused players around here such that a campaign like yours would even be feasible...

Where in Canada are you located? I've been half planning a campaign for a very long time and would love to get something started (even a few small introductory games) as soon as this whole situation normalizes again.

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #326 on: November 08, 2020, 07:53:11 PM »
Amazing as always. It's incredible how a few well palced pictures bring a game to life.

Where in Canada are you located? I've been half planning a campaign for a very long time and would love to get something started (even a few small introductory games) as soon as this whole situation normalizes again.

Hey, Luigi. I am located near Ottawa. And you?

Offline Luigi

• Scientist
« Reply #327 on: November 08, 2020, 10:27:27 PM »
arggggg

I'm in Toronto  :'(
Hey, Luigi. I am located near Ottawa. And you?

i would have loved to get something similar to this thread started with regular encounters.

Offline Mark

• Librarian
« Reply #328 on: November 12, 2020, 02:52:03 PM »
I have read your campaign from start to present over the last week - it is absolutely inspiring stuff!

Poor old Tilea - on the brink of defeating the undead and with the ogres gone, it is just typical the skaven show up!

And when will vengeance be had on dastardly Duke Guidobaldo!

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #329 on: November 12, 2020, 04:59:07 PM »
Duke Guidobaldo is simply the victim of the biased Tilean printing presses!