Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:54:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Tilean Campaign  (Read 114320 times)

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
Re: Pictures from my Tilean Campaign
« Reply #345 on: December 06, 2020, 07:35:12 PM »
If you will allow me I thought I would put up the story and not just the new pictures ...

Examples
Ravola, Spring 2404

Gradger sounded breathless when he arrived in the square, but this indicated nothing for certain as the wheezing function of his mask always made him sound so. He made his way immediately to the chattel overseer, Adragash.

“I have order-commands from the lord-master himself. You must obey prompt-quick. Yes, yes?”

Adragash’s lips parted to bare his teeth. He clutched a long whip as did all his helps, the handle of which he rested upon his shoulder so that the twisted hemp and wire cord hung down his back. Upon his head he had a leather cap with little iron cheek plates a-dangling at the sides, and in his other hand he carried a blade in the way in which one might carry a cane.

“Calm yourself,” Adragash hissed. “I always obey and never delay. You have no need to deliver such advice-warnings. Just-simply say what should and must be done, and it will be.”

Gradger now remembered how much he disliked the overseer. Admittedly, there were few skaven, if any, he did like, but there were gradations to his antipathy, from minor irritation to deep loathing, and Adragash was on the higher end of the scale. Still, this was the overseers’ domain, and all the skaven around were his to command, and so (as almost always) his dislike was something he had to make at least some effort to conceal.

“The chattel-slaves,” he said, pointing needlessly at the crowded cage that had been erected in the square, “they needs-must be prepared.”

Agradash did not move, nor did he speak, merely narrowed his eyes a little.

“Well,” said Gradger more loudly. “Prepare them!”

“I will do so, most keen and carefully. But you must speak-say more, Gradger-friend. For here they are, penned and patient, awaiting our command-orders. But what is the order? Are they to be fed? Moved? Made ready for labour-work? Speak-reveal exactly what the lord-master requires.”

Gradger was mentally lifting Adragash’s name up his list, to join those he despised the very most.

“They must be moved, made ready to be butchered if-when the order is given,” he said.

“Then they will be, I promise and assure,” answered the overseer. “But where to go? And how to kill?”

“They are to be made examples of, if necessary-needed” said Gradger. “Outside the city walls. I will show you where.”

“Examples ‘if necessary’? ‘If needed’?” said Adragash, in a curious tone. “How so? For whom? And why?”

“No question-talk is required. Only dutiful obeisance, yes?” said Gradger in a commanding manner.

“At least,” asked the overseer, “if nothing more, reveal-tell how they are to be butchered, so that preparations might be made for a suitable, satisfactory and swift execution of their execution.”

“Their corpses are to adorn-decorate the land around the city, to strike fright-fear into any foe that approaches.”

“Is this enemy expected or one that might merely perhaps come?” asked Adragash.

For a moment Gradger’s urge to appear important and informed got the better of him, and instead of again insisting on Adragash’s immediate action, he said,

“Manthing riders have been seen close-near to the city. Perhaps outrider-scouts for an army bringing aid-relief too late? If-when that army does arrive, they are to witness what is promised to be done to them, so they know terror-fear.”

“Grisly deaths and mangled corpses?” suggested Adragash.

“Yes, yes! They are to be stake-skewered and left to stink-rot,” said Gradger.

“Stakes, you say-speak,” said the overseer, his curious tone carrying a hint of sarcasm. “Stakes yet to be made?”

“Yes, yes. You must make them and you must place them. The soldiers have much else to do and are to be ever and always ready for battle.”

“The chattel-slaves will make their own stake-skewers,” said Adragash. “If necessary, if needed, then they will be put upon them. If not, then both stakes and chattel will further serve the lord-master howsoever we wish-desires.”

Momentarily satisfied that at last the order had been delivered and apparently accepted, Gradger looked over at the iron-railed pen. He was confused. It would be sufficient to hold meat animals like swine and goats, but surely, if they tried, the manthings could climb over? Then he noticed two of the overseers’ servants close the cage, and inside, a manthing lying prone, and he understood immediately what happened to those foolish enough to attempt to climb the iron railings - one sharp thrust of a halberd and the attempted escape would be ended.

Suddenly he noticed that most of the living chattel-slaves were looking not at the freshly fashioned corpse, but at him and Adragash.

“They stare and glare,” he said. “Those there and there, they are looking at us. They have defiance-rebellion left in them, yes, yes?”

Adragash grinned. “They do. Yet, Gradger friend, this is not so bad. What strength of will they harbour-possess reveals a strength left also in their bodies. That will be necessary-needed to cut, carry and carve well.”

Gradger was not convinced. One of the females had fixed her gaze upon him, and despite her lack of fangs and the absence of red in her eyes, he could clearly see her hate-anger. “If they have such resistance-rebellion left in them, then they will surely not make their own skewer stakes.”

“No, they will not. But when they are told to make stakes for a palisade meant to skewer-spit the enemy’s horses, and that if their work-labour is done fast-quick they will be allowed to eat, then they will have motive to work as well as the required strength.”

In that moment, despite his dislike of the overseer, Gadger understood why Adragash had been given command of the chattel-slaves. 
My Tilean Campaign can be found at https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #346 on: December 06, 2020, 08:09:11 PM »
Wow, great story.

The very first thing I read in the Old World setting was a story in Dragon magazine advertising Warhammer FRP. Some Skaven show up at the end of the story and I was immediately taken in by their way of speaking- you nailed it. Takes me back!
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #347 on: December 07, 2020, 02:34:42 AM »
If you will allow me I thought I would put up the story and not just the new pictures ...

The story is just as enjoyable as the pictures, and is what brings them all together.

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #348 on: December 10, 2020, 09:11:06 PM »
The ‘Arrabiatti’ (angry) Brotherhood
(A band of brigand horsemen in northern Tilea)

These are an infamous band of brigands, with a ‘popular’ tradition of fighting for justice, supposedly lending aid to good causes and against cruel enemies, yet at the same time robbing and plundering to enrich themselves, and to live. They were until recently, and perhaps still are, led by a mysterious Morr-worshipping wizard called Lord Totto, and took part in the first battle of Ebino allied with the (then living) Duchess Maria. Since their magical mauling there (Lord Totto was apparently wounded) they have been quiet, certainly not reappearing in the campaign stories, but that does not mean they have not been active. I reckon they have been recruiting, an easy enough task when northern Tilea has been ravaged by ogres and vampires, and many a young man has been displaced and exiled from his home. They are selective though, and so take only the most able.

I noticed during their first appearance in a battle report I had mentioned they were known as the 'Shadowy Brotherhood'. I had been assuming they were secretive, cunning fellows, like Robin Hood's Merry men. But I did not want them dressed in Lincoln green to blend with the foliage like Hood's band, but instead dark colours to blend with the shadowy realm of their crepuscular activities!

I used Perry plastics and metals, for a Tilean look. Apart from basing, and attaching them to their horses (which I might not do in a permanent fashion, in case I need the horses on their own in a scene) they are done. Keep in mind that although I have been painting for 35+ years, I only recently switched to acrylics and I have been struggling to use them in my usual ‘cartoon’ style. These are the best I managed yet!

Here is the command, plastic Perry's Light Cavalry 1450-1500, with an old GW Empire Militia head thrown in for good luck. (That’ll be the big one in the middle, then.)

I added cloaks to two of these, as I have done to several of the others, using a Fireforge sprue, I think. I used subdued, dark hues to their clothing.

Here are the metal riders (Perry ‘Westernised Stradiots’) ...

I like these guys and I think they fit my initial idea for the Arrabiatti slightly better than the Light Horse. I modelled one of them with a flask, which hopefully will become useful in a story ...

Looking at the pic, I think I have some corrective work yet to do on the face. My eyes are rubbish, and I often only spot problems in the photos!

Here are the plastics, with a stray metal on the viewer's far right. I didn't notice when I was photographing them!

Four are just a-riding along, and so great for story pics. One, however, I got clever with, and I used some other Perry arms to have him being a bit more dynamic. I have to get this guy into a story as I really like him.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
Appendix!

I painted another new figure while I was working in these - the new, mounted version of the Bretonnian fire wizard Perrette L’Amy (aka the ‘Fallen Damsel’), now the commander of what little is left of the Bretonnian Brabanzon mercenary company. She's 'Warlord 2' from Elite wargames and models range, with a magical staff from one of the Frostgrave wizards sets.

Help me here, you acrylics experts. I have been using enamels for 40 years and haven't much of a clue. Is there a way I can make the orb-gem (?) on the top the cane look jewel like?

« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 09:50:18 PM by Padrissimus »

Online Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #349 on: December 10, 2020, 09:20:56 PM »
Love the flag! Excellent range of figures. The Perry plastics are so versatile, and work great alongside a lot of the other ranges out there, even the older Warhammer figures which, whilst chunkier, aren't so oversized as to be jarring next to Perrys.

Perette lives!

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #350 on: December 17, 2020, 06:21:40 PM »
Here are some of the pics the above now feature in ... (The actual story, with more pics, is currently at http://forum.oldhammer.org.uk/viewtopic.php?p=104940#p104940 and yet to be transferred to my own website) ...

« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 06:39:20 PM by Padrissimus »

Offline Luigi

• Scientist
« Reply #351 on: December 17, 2020, 07:55:06 PM »
the plot is getting quite intricate, I'm hooked! I really like where the Arrabbiati are going (or at least I think are going)

You must have the patience of a saint to set and re set such beautiful scenes.

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #352 on: December 18, 2020, 03:35:19 AM »
I look forward to reading more!

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #353 on: December 18, 2020, 08:41:11 AM »
Those images are superb  :o :-* Each one tells a compelling story and they are so well orchestrated. Hurry up and put them on your blog so I can go visit and relish all of your work in one place. The miniatures are beautifully painted and the scenery is sublime. Your world is so well thought out and coherent. Great stuff!
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #354 on: December 19, 2020, 07:20:32 PM »
Thanks guys.  Much appreciated.

RW Year ago (!) the Holy Army of Remas was planning to assault the moated walls of Ebino. They started converting the steam tank into a huge, mobile ramp and began to make a large wheeled petard. So, I began modelling said petard ...

BUT they never finished their engines, because the undead force sallied out and utterly defeated their army.

Time passed, and various bits (mainly the carriage) of the petard went into other projects.

Now, however, Lord Alessio's army of Portomaggiorans and Remans are intending to assault the same city of Ebino, this time with three large, mobile ramps to cross the moat- after which ladders will be used in the normal manner. They also have decided to turn a misfired mortar into a petard, and so the project was picked up again!

New wheels, and room for more pushers.

Roll it up to the gate (over the stone bridge) and BOOM! Gate and portcullis blown to pieces. Hopefully the brave (possibly drunk) petardiers will survive too!

As for the mobile moat bridges ... roll them up, cut the rope, and let the bridge fall over the moat. Simples!

(The boulders are necessary counterweights!)

Online Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #355 on: December 19, 2020, 08:32:36 PM »
This is going to be somewhat epic.

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #356 on: December 19, 2020, 08:36:28 PM »
Here's hoping!

Online sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #357 on: December 19, 2020, 09:13:21 PM »
So much creativity.

Offline Neunfinger

• Scientist
« Reply #358 on: December 20, 2020, 12:43:33 PM »
Really loved reading the story of the bretonnian mercenaries. Especially the picture to words ratio is well done. While the writing is great on its own, the picture really let it come to life.

Bit of nitpicking:
Why aren't the mobile ramps falling backwards? It seems to me they are mounted on a hinge and could only be held in place by the ropes if the ramp was tipped slightly forward, not backward. Is there some sort of torsion rope to bring tension to the ramp? I'm only asking because details like the counterweight are well thought out, and so my brain is a bit puzzled: " Wait, this isn't just some fantasy-bs, he actually thought about the practical use of those siege engines, so there has to be a reason the ramp is at this angle" :D

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #359 on: December 20, 2020, 12:47:58 PM »
Why aren't the mobile ramps falling backwards? It seems to me they are mounted on a hinge and could only be held in place by the ropes if the ramp was tipped slightly forward, not backward. Is there some sort of torsion rope to bring tension to the ramp? I'm only asking because details like the counterweight are well thought out, and so my brain is a bit puzzled: " Wait, this isn't just some fantasy-bs, he actually thought about the practical use of those siege engines, so there has to be a reason the ramp is at this angle" :D

In RL, one is forwards slightly, the others slightly backwards - it's just the way the wood bent as I was fiddling with bits of string. They were all slightly forwards when I started, but I got the tension wrong 2 out of 3 times! Game World - easy: a big pole, like a pike, sorts the problem - just cut the rope, push with the pike, and down it goes.