Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:01:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Tilean Campaign  (Read 114331 times)

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
Re: Pictures from my Tilean Campaign
« Reply #375 on: December 22, 2020, 09:14:02 PM »
Oh, and something that makes me happy - I have this evening finally completed the last of the new models I need for this battle .. AoS models (banshees?) being used as four bases of 8th ed WFB Spirit Hosts!

If they survive magic, then I wonder how they will do defending a wall (when the enemy has no rank bonus and can only hurt them with magic weapons!)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 10:55:53 PM by Padrissimus »
My Tilean Campaign can be found at https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #376 on: December 23, 2020, 06:49:56 AM »
Those Banshee look great and the Spirit Host idea is one I may take for our Middle Earth project. Thanks for continuing to inspire!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #377 on: December 23, 2020, 11:40:43 AM »
I like the contrast of white & bronze.

Offline Luigi

• Scientist
« Reply #378 on: December 23, 2020, 06:25:55 PM »
If they survive magic, then I wonder how they will do defending a wall (when the enemy has no rank bonus and can only hurt them with magic weapons!)

If I remember correctly, there's some obstacle in the 8th edition BRB. I particularly remember the following.

Blessed bulwark
It is common practice in the Empire for a Warrior Priest to bless any wall which might have to serve in the battle against
the foul creatures of Chaos. Such enchantment lingers on long after it takes root, and even endures through the destruction of
the wall itself. Many farming fields and fortress walls in the Empire are bounded by walls constructed of stolen fragments
from the blessed bulwarks, and retain a portion of that power.

Blessed bulwarks are obstacles that grant hard cover to units behind them, and a -1 To Hit modifier to
charging models in base contact with them. In addition to this, models from the Forces of Destruction
(see the Allies chapter) that are in base contact with the obstacle must halve their Initiative.

perhaps you can tweak them to grant magical attacks vs ethereal? or just a combat bonus? Justifying it as the priest blessing (sections) of the wall in advance to ward off spirits.

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #379 on: December 23, 2020, 06:31:35 PM »
The spirits will be doing the defending, and if on the castle walls, then the enemy will be attacking them using ladders! It's the living attackers who are going to struggle! But they should, in the fight to take a walled and moated city teeming with the living dead!

Except, the living army's commanding player is experienced and canny and might have ways of hurting the spirit hosts first!

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #380 on: December 24, 2020, 04:25:26 AM »
It should be a challenging siege for both the besiegers and the besieged. The besiegers likely couldn't starve the besieged, so would eventually have to assault, possibly after some battering and mining. As the besieged cannot, apparently, shoot, they would need to resort to some combination of magic, flyers, mining, and sorties to impede the besiegers. And the indentation before the main gate may not be as dangerous for the besiegers as it might be if the besieged could shoot, although it could still be employed as a kind of trap...

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #381 on: December 24, 2020, 04:38:08 AM »
The attackers are going straight for an assault, as besieging in the blockade sense will achieve little against undead like you suggested, and might allow a relief force to arrive.

Due to the nature of the campaign (forces listed and monitored closely, with subsistence rules etc) the undead have only the small 'Army of the Church of Nagash' plus the small 'standing force', although I have allowed (using GM discretion) the addition of a level 1 necromancer in the role of city governor. So no flyers.

To be honest, even when facing a living garrison, few of my campaign players opt for a starve them out and/or batter the walls type siege. Not sure why.

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #382 on: December 27, 2020, 12:02:25 AM »
I suppose that besiegers would have balanced strategic urgency against the number of possibly irreplaceable casualties...

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #383 on: December 27, 2020, 07:11:01 PM »
The mobile moat bridges are right this very moment being pushed up towards Ebino!

« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 11:47:38 PM by Padrissimus »

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #384 on: December 27, 2020, 10:31:14 PM »
Impressive! Would they use ladders, once they're across the moat?

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #385 on: December 27, 2020, 10:39:26 PM »
Impressive! Would they use ladders, once they're across the moat?

Yes. Although in my excitement at finally starting the game, I have forgotten to put the ladders on the regiments. They will appear when they reach the wall!

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #386 on: December 27, 2020, 11:46:56 PM »
Will this be the end of Undead Biagino?!

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #387 on: December 28, 2020, 02:27:36 AM »
The attackers are going straight for an assault, as besieging in the blockade sense will achieve little against undead like you suggested, and might allow a relief force to arrive.

Due to the nature of the campaign (forces listed and monitored closely, with subsistence rules etc) the undead have only the small 'Army of the Church of Nagash' plus the small 'standing force', although I have allowed (using GM discretion) the addition of a level 1 necromancer in the role of city governor. So no flyers.

To be honest, even when facing a living garrison, few of my campaign players opt for a starve them out and/or batter the walls type siege. Not sure why.

Oh, couldn't the undead have raised a few "extras" from the local potter's field and graveyards...?  ;)

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #388 on: December 29, 2020, 12:08:42 AM »
@Padrissimus about WHFB 8th edition, I've discovered that I have had a Tomb Kings army book, from before I even bought the main rules. However, I am wondering if official errata were ever issued for 8th edition?

Offline Luigi

• Scientist
« Reply #389 on: December 29, 2020, 02:38:01 PM »
@Padrissimus about WHFB 8th edition, I've discovered that I have had a Tomb Kings army book, from before I even bought the main rules. However, I am wondering if official errata were ever issued for 8th edition?

Hope this helps
http://www.blacklibrary.com/Downloads/Product/PDF/Warhammer/Tomb-Kings%20.pdf

and this, too
http://www.blacklibrary.com/Downloads/Product/PDF/Warhammer/WARHAMMER-RULEBOOK-.pdf