Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:22:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Daftest Africa - Pulp Alley ordered!  (Read 62555 times)

Scrubber

Re: The Land That Time Forgot......”Dikwityu” Tribe
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2019, 10:50:08 PM »
He can always make sure that he gets the last laugh and have a wee wee in the pot.
Have you have a look at African range on fighting 15 link I sent.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2019, 11:26:39 PM »
I did......I am definitely doing the band idea........when I can afford it!

As discussed I will in time to quick sand patches, pit traps etc.   

I don’t know about “Darkest Africa”

This is.........

“DAFTEST AFRICA”!!!!!  lol lol

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2019, 12:35:13 AM »
If I remember right Old Glory do some pygmies ..

"edit"
no  I am mistaken just had a look they are ordinary tribesmen but just 25mm
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 12:40:48 AM by vodkafan »
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2019, 01:34:02 AM »
I’m not looking for a full army....these will probably do.though I may get hold of the reaper pygmies as they are wearing masks.  A little green stuff conversion and they will match in nicely.

Time to get som3 stuff painted me thinks.....

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2019, 03:33:53 AM »
"“DAFTEST AFRICA”!!!!!  lol lol"   << What a relief.  Now it makes more sense, well, sort of, that you are going to be 'paining' some monkeys.  Truth be told, I don't like to think just what that entails. 

A little rhesus, m'lady?, he said to the stunned woman. 

Reese's?, she said. 

No, rhesus, he said. 

Pieces?, she said.

Yes, ma'am, he said - much too eagerly.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 06:29:25 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2019, 07:02:19 AM »
If I ever got around to doing a unit of pygmies I would
name them the 'Helarwi'  You would hear their mournful
battle cry from the Elephant grass, " We're the Helarwi "?????

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2019, 07:38:18 AM »
Ha!  Old ones are the best ones!  Cleaner of course than the original joke!  :D

Fifteens....forgive my spelling!  Not intentional that one!

However, in the spirit of “DAFTEST AFRICA” feel free to throw up any whacky ideas.  All will be considered, and one or two even acted upon!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: The Land That Time Forgot......the birth of “DAFTEST AFRICA”!
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2019, 03:52:28 AM »
In regular Africa - the Bantu.  In daftest Africa - the Daftu?   :D

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2019, 01:48:24 PM »
They may well appear yet......for now I’m painting the Pygmies.....pics soon.

I also finished a pair of rock jungle pieces....makes a good ambush point.

I need to keep my eye out for large pieces of cork bark.  I want to make in time a large escarpment, and also a cliff face with waterfalls, hidden caves, rope bridge etc.....but not yet!

I also have been bitten by the bug to make a paddle steamer AND hot air balloon.....great projects for next year I think.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 08:30:26 AM by Digits »

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2019, 01:02:06 AM »
So I set out to give myself at least half a dozen big trees.  I’ve completed three so here are the next three under way.  I have shown in my nam thread how they are done but I have another tip here.

I wanted a nice tall straight buttressed  tree and built this one....out of the wrong wire!  This one is a little bendy.  So, I built the smaller one to double base it.  I can wrap branches from the lower one around the tall ones trunk.  Foliage will disguise it nicely when done.

I suggest this being the perfect wire, which is what the finished, low tree and right hand one are made from.  Note the 2mm.

Now to get them latex coated....
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 08:26:55 AM by Digits »

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The Land That Time Forgot...“DAFTEST AFRICA!” - Painted Pygmies
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2019, 10:41:35 PM »
Pygmies!

These guys know how to survive the jungle and it’s prehistoric inhabitants.  Wearing the masks is not just to intimidate outsiders, but is also a great defence against hungry velociraptors and ravenous....well, everything else!  The mask confuses the lizards just long enough for the nimble little fellow to make his escape......at least, that’s the theory.  And it only works if the chap is attacked from the front!

And YES, I know the traffic light is upside down......these little chaps have NEVER seen one! Lol

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2019, 11:26:19 PM »
Ha great idea!  lol

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2019, 12:37:50 PM »
Cheers fella.

Talking of ideas...here are my latest on the project, and a few goals I have set myself.

Well this is firmly set in the 1920’s though the odd earlier figure may appear (especially if they have been wandering aimlessly around the forgotten realm. 

I realise I will need to build a river.....especially as I will be building a paddle steamer at some point.  I also want a reason for building a large waterfall /cliff face complete with cliff gripping trees, and a tall jungle tree as a part of the base.....forcing me to build the falls at least 20” tall.  This will be a major project piece and I will be spending the next few months gathering all the cork bark I can.  ( if anyone can recommend a CHEAP source, please do).  It has to feature a walk behind waterfall ledge with hidden cave entrance and MAYBE a carving out of the stone of either a Dino head or Kong!  Not sure on this bit as yet.

The setting is somewhere in the deepest jungles....think Congo though many references will be from different parts of Africa.  This means little chance of plains Animals appearing, though having seen Elephants in “jungle” settings, I will end up with a small herd at some point.  I will be mixing up my natives a little too....think more Hollywood than National Geographic!

One of the settings will be a “worlds end” trading station / expedition jump off point centred around the most improbable, but boy am I looking forward to making this  lol lol , watering hole, going by the name of the “Zambezi Speakeasy”. Think...Rick’s Place, set mostly outdoors, complete with bar, stage, dance floor and musicians, coloured lights, etc.

The musicians are already ordered.   Watch this space.

I will also be doing a small village for the Pygmies though I’m tempted to have them up in the trees.   This idea is kinda Tarzanesque / think Ewoks on Endor village.   With me speeding up in my large tree department, this is likely to be the best course of action.  Thinking about it, they would want to live off the ground with all these monster lizards mooching about.  This would likely be a two / three  large tree affair complete with rope bridges between platforms, liana swinging etc.

I’m on the lookout for a good sized dinosaur skeleton, not outrageously big but true to scale and large enough to transform into another dwelling.  These will not be the only “human” inhabitants in the realm.

Enough for now....more ideas are swimming around in my little head.....but I need to keep this doable!

« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 12:58:16 PM by Digits »

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2019, 01:13:44 PM »
This will be a major project piece and I will be spending the next few months gathering all the cork bark I can.  ( if anyone can recommend a CHEAP source, please do). 

You can buy 5kg bags from here: https://www.reptilecentre.com/search-results.php?query=bark&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

Be aware that 5kg is a sackful! It can be cheaper still during sales: Black Friday, January, etc. 
Handily they are located 10 minutes from my sister, so she has delivered it to me for free.  :D

Excellent trees btw.  8)

2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2019, 01:17:09 PM »
You can buy 5kg bags from here: https://www.reptilecentre.com/search-results.php?query=bark&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

Be aware that 5kg is a sackful! It can be cheaper still during sales: Black Friday, January, etc. 
Handily they are located 10 minutes from my sister, so she has delivered it to me for free.  :D

Excellent trees btw.  8)

Wow! - brilliant link and thank you!   This may happen quicker than I thought!