Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:44:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691112
  • Total Topics: 118374
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My 3d printed 28mm Star Trek shuttle - USS Thames NCC 73429 reporting for duty.  (Read 5123 times)

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
I recently took delivery of this beautiful custom printed shuttle. With a fully detailed and customizable interior, this will be supporting my Federation Away Team in games of Galactic Heroes.

More background and photos here https://nozzawargaming.blogspot.com/2019/11/28mm-3d-printed-star-trek-style-warp.html

Now to find the time to paint it!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 12:03:25 PM by nozza_uk »

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
Re: My 3d printed 28mm Star Trek shuttle
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 02:20:59 PM »
 :-* :-*
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 02:44:30 PM »
That is awesome! 8)

I am still looking crookedly at some papercraft templates of a Type 6 shuttle for my (almost concluded by now ::) ) Star Trek RPG campaign. Mostly because of the amount of work involved, as the template is very rudimental, and I want it to have an interior as well. So the plan was/is to build it out of plasticard instead of paper, but the time frame, conspiring together with my limited hobby time is proving to be a rather large hurdle.

Can you reveal your source? Because perhaps they do a Type 6 as well...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 03:12:04 PM »
The shuttle design was from a Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2nddynasty/starship-iii-fully-3d-printable-28mm-spaceships run by 2nd Dynasty for some 28mm compatible spaceships. They do a nice Star Wars inspired ship as well.

There was a couple of threads on Lead Adventure Forum and The Miniatures Page, where another wargamer had one of the 2nd Dynasty ships custom printed for him. More importantly the printer they used was based in the UK. Having found their website https://www.proteus3dmodelling.com/, I sent them an email asking if they could print the Warp Shuttle version. Proteus 3D Modelling were very professional and kept informed with updates and pictures of my shuttle. Additionally, they consulted with me over the interior of the shuttle too.

I've also ordered this expansion pack, so the shuttle can be used for more long term missions (after all, who wants to be stuck in a shuttle with no toilet!), which allows more flexibility on the interior design.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 03:18:52 PM by nozza_uk »

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 03:28:00 PM »
Cheers :) 

I was on my work PC, on which your blog was off limits, but between my and your posts, I was able to check it on my phone, and most of my questions were answered already.

As I now understand, you asked them to print your KS files, right? because when I check their website, they do have a shuttle, but it's not the 'trekkified' one, but rather their standard one (as painted by Dwartist I believe?). And while nice, is an even bigger departure from orthodox Star Trek design than yours (which I could certainly have lived with).

Ah well; looks like I'll be going with the templates after all... ::)

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 03:38:09 PM »
As I now understand, you asked them to print your KS files, right? because when I check their website, they do have a shuttle, but it's not the 'trekkified' one, but rather their standard one (as painted by Dwartist I believe?).

Like you I only saw the standard shuttle on the website. I sent them an email about the 'trekkified' one and they replied that they had the files and could print it. I was quoted £55 (including p&p). Dave at Proteus 3D Modelling has been so helpful, answering all my questions and providing helpful suggestions.

Offline Damas

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Re-enactor, modeller, stooge
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 09:51:56 PM »
I am a fan of that design, so much that I have gone all in for the full fleet set from 2nd Dynasty and just started (about half an hour ago) my first print from my brand new Ender 3 Pro.  Fun times ahead!

I'm really looking forward to seeing yours painted!
"Old gamers don't die, they just smell like that."

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 11:18:50 AM »
That is awesome! 8)

I am still looking crookedly at some papercraft templates of a Type 6 shuttle for my (almost concluded by now ::) ) Star Trek RPG campaign. Mostly because of the amount of work involved, as the template is very rudimental, and I want it to have an interior as well. So the plan was/is to build it out of plasticard instead of paper, but the time frame, conspiring together with my limited hobby time is proving to be a rather large hurdle.

Can you reveal your source? Because perhaps they do a Type 6 as well...

Dave at Proteus 3D Modelling has seen this thread and asked me to pass on the following.
"I seen your Blog and some other site you posted on and all looks great, someone asked if I can do a type 6 shuttle? Answer is yes !
I have found a few of them type 6 and 9 so far. Type 6 is 107mm L x 55mm W x 44mm H I don`t no what scale that is 15mm??
So if he`s interested ask him to pass message through you or give him my details."

&

"Basically, if it`s available somewhere and of interest give me a shout and I`ll see if I can find it for Star Trek."

Here's his email proteus3dmodelling@gmail.com if you want to contact him directly.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 08:11:41 PM »
That is really cool, and I will most certainly look into the offered option!  8)

Just too bad it came a mere two days after I bit the bullet and went to town with my trusty plasticard...  lol

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
Re: My 3d printed 28mm Star Trek shuttle - Habitation update
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2019, 09:55:25 AM »
Ok the habitation expansion for the shuttle has arrived. This will allow me to play around with the interior of the shuttle and change it around based on the mission.

In this image you can see all of the habitation components - namely another set of bunk beds, a combined toilet/shower cubicle, kitchen area, table and chairs and a storage locker. Using all of the set fills the shuttle quite nicely, but then reduces the amount of cargo space.

The next set of images show the use of a couple of the habitation parts. I've extended the bridge/cockpit, added a crew area and still got a small amount of cargo space at the end of the shuttle.

Regarding the painting of the shuttle. All of the pieces have been thoroughly washed and dried. Unfortunately, the couple of days I set aside for priming have been beset by bad weather. So, once the weather clears, I'll be applying primer and then I can move onto the painting stage.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: My 3d printed 28mm Star Trek shuttle - Habitation Update
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2019, 01:23:37 PM »
This is looking pretty slick! 8)

The different parts do give you a lot of flexibility. Will you be fixing them in place, or will they remain interchangeable? I think the last option would be doubly awesome, as you can tailor your shuttle to whatever scenario you need it for.

And do you already have any idea about the colour scheme?

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
Re: My 3d printed 28mm Star Trek shuttle - Habitation Update
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2019, 11:37:32 AM »
This is looking pretty slick! 8)

The different parts do give you a lot of flexibility. Will you be fixing them in place, or will they remain interchangeable? I think the last option would be doubly awesome, as you can tailor your shuttle to whatever scenario you need it for.

And do you already have any idea about the colour scheme?

I'm going to keep the parts interchangeable. Regarding the paint scheme, the exterior will be combination of greys - much like the Delta Flyer. Internally, I want to go for a DS9 Runabout feel. So muted pastel colours etc.

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
Re: My 3d printed 28mm Star Trek shuttle - A lick of paint!
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 10:51:29 AM »
Over the festive period I managed to make a start on the painting of my shuttle.

First up, the warp engines have been detailed. Light grey paint is used on any raised panels and dark grey paint in recessed panels. The engine colours are based on the schemes used in the Next Generation.

With the warp engines completed, I've painted the upper section of the hull. Both the upper section and warp engines received a base coat of Humbrol Matt Grey spray.

Again, light grey paint is used on any raised panels and dark grey paint in recessed panels. I then added some additional red trimming. Also, the thrusters have had a coat of sandy yellow (appears darker in the photos).

Next up is the lower hull and the internal equipment sections.

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
Re: My 3d printed 28mm Star Trek shuttle - Exterior Painted
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 03:43:45 PM »
Spent some time over the holiday period getting my shuttle ready. I've finished painting the exterior of the shuttle and all that's left now is to apply some transfers (which haven't arrived yet) and a light spray of varnish to protect the paint job and transfers. Next up will be painting the rest of the interior components.

Here's some pictures with a Heroclix TNG figure for scale.

More pictures here https://nozzawargaming.blogspot.com/2020/01/28mm-warp-shuttle-exterior-painting.html

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
Re: My 3d printed 28mm Star Trek shuttle - Exterior Painted
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2020, 05:13:02 PM »
I am very impressed.  Nice build
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com