Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:20:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Disney's Jungle Cruise  (Read 5329 times)

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Disney's Jungle Cruise
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2020, 02:22:18 AM »
Nothing too deep or even new but it looks to be entertaining.  The Pirates ride movie(s) worked out well for them...
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline shadowbeast

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2020, 04:12:07 AM »
Is that the hotly awaited sequel to Pride & Prejudice & Zombies that you've had a sneak preview of? -- can't wait to see it myself  ;) ;) ;)

Last I heard, there was only a Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters. But then, that was just the books.

Anyway, has anyone ever heard of Disney's Society of Explorers and Adventurers? All over the parks, there are clues as to their existence, as documented by Offhand Disney:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq0ByeRNKc8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ8E3Jb28T8

You can find them as VSF or Gaslamp Fantasy inspiration at some attractions, and pulp at others (they've survived for some time). I wouldn't put it past this movie to be full of references to them; or even for one or more characters to be members.

Nothing too deep or even new but it looks to be entertaining.  The Pirates ride movie(s) worked out well for them...

Not a terribly reliable decision-making process; there was, of course, the Haunted Mansion movie...
No gel ball ban in WA! http://chng.it/pcKk9qKcVN

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2020, 07:27:01 PM »
Not a terribly reliable decision-making process; there was, of course, the Haunted Mansion movie...

That didn't make a lot of money but my kids enjoyed it and I didn't mind sitting through it.  I have watched worse kids movies. 

Never did notice the Society theme when I went to the parks but that was years ago.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2020, 06:27:48 AM »
I believe release has been delayed until 2021.  COVID19 strikes again.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2021, 02:13:47 AM »
So, went to see the movie a while back and enjoyed the movie for what it was but didn't like the move from Africa to South America or the 'reliance' on a port over from Pirates of the Caribbean (you'll have to watch it, I won't spoil it).  I really feel if they'd kept the movie in Africa, it could have been a much better - and more fun and game inspiring - movie.  I hope the reason was to avoid offending people of African descent though I also suspect a less noble reason.  Well, at least there are now hippos in South America - if not on the Amazon.   

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2021, 09:17:13 AM »
Mrs. GG and I enjoyed it. Yes, it was very much Pirates of the Caribbean mixed with African Queen but it was fun. The only thing we really did not like was the casting choice for Prince Joachim. Jesse Plemons is a decent actor but he just did not make for a compelling enough villain.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2021, 08:06:31 PM »
I watched it a couple weeks ago, and quite enjoyed it.  As someone suggested, it’s Indiana Jones takes the African Queen to find The Jewel of the Nile.  I do think the presence of the Nazis was a bit pointless, they weren’t really needed.  Emily Blunt was terrific as always, and Dwayne Johnson is growing on me as a campy, action hero.

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2022, 07:18:45 PM »
The Germans weren’t Nazis - it was set in 1916 and they were Imperial Germans at war with France, British Empire and Russia (USA entered the following year). Easy mistake to make when watching the movie, though, as the writers ported in common Nazi stereotypes in depicting the earlier period.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2022, 10:14:11 AM »
The Germans weren’t Nazis - it was set in 1916 and they were Imperial Germans at war with France, British Empire and Russia (USA entered the following year). Easy mistake to make when watching the movie, though, as the writers ported in common Nazi stereotypes in depicting the earlier period.

Thanks for so eloquently articulating what I was thinking mate.

Offline roadskare63

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2022, 06:03:45 PM »
Hi guys, a question for all you pulpheads....no disrespect.......Exactly what kind of submarine was in the movie?...I was thinking MAYBE a type UB-1, but if so, Disney really took some artistic license with it. Let me know if anyone has an idea please.
Thanks,
Carl

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2022, 03:50:34 AM »
Pattus, I stand properly corrected and mildly embarrassed.  Still, other than letting loose the conquistadors and kidnapping the brother, you could take the Germans out of the movie and all you'd loose is the silly scene with the sillier submarine. 

While granted the movie is really a live action cartoon, I still cringed at the boat being able to back away from the edge of the waterfall.  I don't mind 'suspending disbelief' but that bit defies all credulity.  Unless the Roadrunner and Bugs Bunny make an appearance.  lol

Sounds like a sequel is in the works.  Maybe that movie will make it to Africa?  I'd prefer a full reset with an entirely different story line - more along the Indiana Jones franchise than the Pirates of the Caribbean mess (like the first one, the follow ons were quite a mess in my opinion - but made trainloads of money).