Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:46:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686590
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Trev gets Bolshie  (Read 23230 times)

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
Re: [WIP] Trev gets Bolshie - An RCW Project Log
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2020, 02:57:56 AM »
Terrific work on the Cossacks Trev, I believe Copplestone do make some figures you could use as lancers:
https://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/prod.php?prod=251

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2020, 12:19:58 PM »
Thanks all.  Can't wait until I can get all this lot on the table and roll some dice.  I've run out of figures again now sadly but the 1/48 Morane G Curpum suggested has arrived and I found a Sopwith one and half strutter in the shed!  No idea why I bought it and must be 10 years old but fortunately the Bolos used them, so that worked out okay. http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww1/f/115/1/0  I also need at least one paddle steamer and a train for the whites. :D

I believe Copplestone do make some figures you could use as lancers

They do but they come randomly in the pack and I was unlucky, so I now have two caucasian lancer figures I can't use.  The single steppe Cossack I got is carrying the flag.  Does anyone know of any Caucasian Cossacks that fought out east?  Maybe I need to do the Volunteer army, or perhaps I can swap them when I've convinced one of the others at the club to do the Southern Whites.  They can have tanks and pretty uniforms you know.  ;)

Good work on the a/c, these vehicles had so much ‘character’ during these early years of AFVs!

They are wonderfully clunky.  lol  That 1st Corps model is really nice and looks good next to the troops.  I hope they do a Garford-Putilov.  Empress do a nice one but I think it ia 1/56, so might look a bit puny next to the other vehicles.

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2020, 11:57:31 AM »
I have added this standard for my Red Cavalry.

It's based on a couple from the Studio Siberia Banners of Red Army thread.  Mainly the flag of the 1st Turkestan Cavalry.

I couldn't fit all the writing legibly on such a small flag, so I took the themes and split it over the two sides.  I hope this is a bit more 'beautiful' for Curpum.  :D

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2020, 12:09:54 PM »
Fine!
By the way, for the first time I see the image of the Red Cavalry badge on the figures. But he was very popular and the red cavalrymen often wore it on headdresses instead of an asterisk.

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2020, 12:54:17 PM »
Thanks.  Do you mean this badge?

I'm not sure I could paint the difference.  My stars are mostly blobs.  Although I did get some more powerful reading glasses the other day, so now at least I can see they are stars. ;D

Is the blue cloth star patch around the badge from the 1922 uniform only?

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2020, 01:44:04 PM »
The first photo shows the badge of the cavalry commander. All red commanders tried to have a similar sign.

A fabric star and colored stripes on greatcoats and tunics were introduced in 1919, but in reality this year only such hats were sent to the army. A completely complete new uniform began to appear only in the middle of 1920, when the war was already coming to an end.
The color of a large star and chest bands signified the branch of service.

1. Cavalry
 2. Artillery
 3. Aviation
 4. Engineers corps
 5. Infantry
 6. Border troops

Greatcoat cavalryman. 1919
Greatcoat commander of an artillery battery. 1919

More details here: http://siberia-miniatures.ru/forum/showthread.php?fid=12&tid=322

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2020, 01:58:57 PM »
Often the badge on the cap of the red cavalryman looked like this:

« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 02:01:27 PM by cuprum »

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2020, 02:55:53 PM »
Excellent detail and pictures.  8)  Thanks.  The cavalry badge is similar to the picture on the flag.  I might try adding a blue star on a cavalry budenovka.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2020, 04:01:36 PM »
These badges could have many options, as they were ordered in private workshops and performed depending on the taste of the customer and the capabilities of the performer.

The red star is also quite acceptable (although the prescribed color for the infantry is raspberry). Infantry uniforms (as the most common) could well have been issued to the cavalry unit (in the absence of another available).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 04:09:16 PM by cuprum »

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2020, 12:22:04 AM »

They do but they come randomly in the pack and I was unlucky, so I now have two caucasian lancer figures I can't use.  The single steppe Cossack I got is carrying the flag.  Does anyone know of any Caucasian Cossacks that fought out east?  Maybe I need to do the Volunteer army, or perhaps I can swap them when I've convinced one of the others at the club to do the Southern Whites.  They can have tanks and pretty uniforms you know.  ;)

Just do a head swap Trev - promise I won't look at the shoulders  lol

They are wonderfully clunky.  lol  That 1st Corps model is really nice and looks good next to the troops.  I hope they do a Garford-Putilov.  Empress do a nice one but I think it ia 1/56, so might look a bit puny next to the other vehicles.

IIRC Empress are 1/48th vehicles

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2020, 12:23:49 AM »
I have added this standard for my Red Cavalry.

It's based on a couple from the Studio Siberia Banners of Red Army thread.  Mainly the flag of the 1st Turkestan Cavalry.

I couldn't fit all the writing legibly on such a small flag, so I took the themes and split it over the two sides.  I hope this is a bit more 'beautiful' for Curpum.  :D

Brilliant work - had to quote this so I could see it again!  :-*

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2020, 07:27:58 PM »
had to quote this so I could see it again!  :-*

Thanks TT.  I'm trying to maximise productivity while the enthusiasm and focus lasts.  :)

This is the latest addition.  I'm going to use it as the sort of improvised armed, but not really armoured, trains used to shuttle troops and supplies to the front.  I'd want heavy steel plates in between me and anyone firing 7.62mm bullets in my direction but wood and sandbags are probably better than nothing.  ;)

It's mostly just a quick repaint of a Goldlok Western Express toy train but I did scatchbuild an MG truck to lead the way and drive off partisans.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 07:29:50 PM by trev »

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2020, 10:23:57 PM »
Cool work on the cavalry banner.

Another train! You’re gonna need big table hahaha!
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com.au

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2020, 01:00:33 AM »
Great train! A tasty morsel for the partisans.
By the way, I have a wonderful scenario just for such a mission: to lead several trains and convoys through the partisan sector. In such a mission, intervention troops may be widely involved, since it was they who often guarded the transport routes.

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2020, 10:10:26 AM »
Another train! You’re gonna need big table hahaha!

It’s okay, my club mates are megalomaniacs, so I’m a long way off having too much stuff.   lol

http://www.sswg.co.uk/normandy-bolt-action-main-gallery/

By the way, I have a wonderful scenario just for such a mission: to lead several trains and convoys through the partisan sector. In such a mission, intervention troops may be widely involved, since it was they who often guarded the transport routes.

That scenario sounds great.  I need to get some partisan figures.  I was thinking a unit or two of Czechs Would be useful too.  We can do really long tables, which is great for having the supply lines on table.