Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:27:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New Project 10mm Thirty Years War  (Read 2989 times)

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
Re: New Project 10mm Thirty Years War
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2020, 08:36:05 AM »
Watch Newlines. They're about to launch a 10mm ECW range that might be useful.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2020, 10:45:01 AM »
Watch Newlines. They're about to launch a 10mm ECW range that might be useful.

Ha, there's a good nugget of info! I had a look. They look rather nice, especially the fact that they got pikemen in different poses (downside is the cast-on pikes, which I'm not a fan of, but that's just subjective stuff). They don't seem to be on the pricey side, but I think they're pretty much on the level of Pendraken's current pricing.

Shame I only discovered this thread now! I do like 10mm TYW. :)
My collection's mainly Old Glory and Pendraken with a few Irregular Miniatures figures strewn in. The latter can be ordered individually, so they're great for getting those additional musicians, commanders, lifeguard figures for commander bases, etc. Irregular are a bit more delicate and smaller than Pendraken, but will mix well into a unit at arm's length (with cavalry models you may have to model a little bump onto the base to put an Irregular figure with a unit of Pendraken minis).

In general I use Old Glory for pikemen (no cast-on pikes, rank up nicely due to being cast in strips), and a mix of Old Glory and Pendraken for musketeers. OG will actually do for musketeers as well though. In general OG and Pendraken mix nicely, which is good for giving cavalry units a bit more variety in poses.

More recently I added a whole lot of Lancer Miniatures to my collection. Initially because I backed their Kickstarter to support a new 10mm ECW range, then I got another batch a year later or so. These are really nice figures, but stylistically way different to Pendraken and OG, since they're really, really buff (no pun intended). They have a pleasant look and are a joy to paint, but in terms of proportions they're much in line with Lego figures rather than people. I'll use either in games (Lancer that is, not Lego figures :P ), but I wouldn't put Lancer and others in the same unit. On the table they'll look fine next to a unit of Pendraken or OG figures.

Here's my rules suggestions:
.) Twilight of Divine Right (my favourite right now. Rekindled my love for the period last year, got me to paint like 20 new units and play several games. Great in terms of getting the period 'right', I think. Lots of attention to detail, probably more for people who are familiar with the period)
.) In Deo Veritas (only tested it once so far, and I fully intend to give it another go next week and finally get that review done. Surely less daunting to new players than Twilight of Divine Right. Lots of good elements like orders being dealt out to wings in secret, focus on morale rather than causalties, etc. Not the easiest rules to navigate, but I think they play nice and swift.)
.) Baroque (the Impetus-based one. Can't go wrong with Impetus, can you. It's not a very 'glitzy' set of rules, but never let me down)
.) Pike&Shotte (it works as intended. The main gripe is probably the army lists, which I think CAN be used, but are to be taken with a grain of salt)

The top three use simple basing, and when it comes to formation changes most you'll have to bother with is "line" or "column". So basing won't be much of a problem. P&S is a tiny bit more finicky in that regard (not the least due to the interesting design choice of treating pike and musket as separate units, but there's house rules to remedy that). I started out with P&S in mind and a massive love for the look of Warmaster, so my basing was influenced by that. Pikes on 40x20mm bases (1, 2 or 3 in a row to a unit, depending on timeframe and size of battle), musketeer sleeves on 30x20mm bases to either side of the pikemen for a total frontage of 10cm for infantry. Cavarly I put on 20x40mm bases (lengthways), 4 bases next to each other to a unit, for a total frontage of 8cm. Light artillery's sitting on 40x20mm, medium and heavy on 40x40mm. Many rules sets use "half a unit's frontage" as the basic measuring unit, and I usually calculate with 5cm for that. Nice and metric.  :D

You can see my collection in action here, along with a rules review of Twilight of Divine Right: https://www.tabletopstories.net/language/en/?s=twilight

Rules sets I have to try:
.) Tilly's Very Bad Day (available online for free. IIRC it's deemed 'finished' by the author now and available on his blog. Also a more abstracted approach to keep things simple and to the point).
.) Father Tilly 2 (that one's been around for quite a while, but the local 15mm guys love it. Gotta try it some time. I actually bought Father Tilly 4(?) a few years  ago, but never got around to trying it. Honestly, the focus shifting to 28mm figures turned me off it a bit)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 10:50:30 AM by Battle Brush Sigur »

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2020, 04:24:05 AM »
I've got quite a lot of Newline Hellenic pikemen; though cast on, the weapons are pretty sturdy. I use IM ECW pikemen because I like the pose, but their pikes are flimsy (often their ankles too), the proportions suggest Thalidomide was around earlier than we realise, and they're frogging expensive, pardon the language.

Oh, and watch out for the Newline sales - usually have a four-for-three around the end of the year.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 04:36:54 AM by FierceKitty »

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2020, 09:34:54 AM »
I've got quite a lot of Newline Hellenic pikemen; though cast on, the weapons are pretty sturdy. I use IM ECW pikemen because I like the pose, but their pikes are flimsy (often their ankles too), the proportions suggest Thalidomide was around earlier than we realise, and they're frogging expensive, pardon the language.

Oh, and watch out for the Newline sales - usually have a four-for-three around the end of the year.

Yeah, to be honest I never got any with cast-on pikes. On 6mm I've seen it work well (Baccus), but with 10mm I'm too worried it won't.

Thanks for the info on the sales!