Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:39:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 6mm Dieselpunk - Stahl Beginnings  (Read 2421 times)

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
6mm Dieselpunk - Stahl Beginnings
« on: May 21, 2020, 04:51:28 PM »
I've recently bought into Microworlds 6mm Dieselpunk and plan on making this a major project in future. The first force will be the Stahlritter faction, but I plan on buying a few extra vehicles and use them to make City-State or Mercenary forces inspired by Nausicaas vassals of the Torumekian Empire.

I have a few enemies planned, Microworld plan to release their Desert Insect Nomads in June but I think the Quar would also be a great adversary as well.

Anyway here is what has been done so far.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: 6mm Dieselpunk - Stahl Beginnings
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 05:09:29 PM »
What rules are you planning on using?

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 05:12:47 PM »
I'm quite ignorant when it comes to rules, so I'm open to suggestions!

I aim to have about 3-5 vehicle/monster companies per side, with accompanying infantry, arty, engy, air etc if there are any rules that cater to that size?

I know Microworld plans to have their own rule set eventually.

Offline Simlasa

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 02:41:22 AM »
Didn't Strike Legion have a VSF supplement?

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 09:55:39 AM »
Happy to see some of the light tanks in the wild, they were interesting things to sculpt as on one side it wasn't a lot of room to get quirky details in, on the other all real-world tankettes are cute anyway.

The insect nomads should be coming soon-ish I hear as well, though the current state of the world doesn't make planning easy.

The quar would make perfect enemies, I'm pretty sure there are people already mixing quar and dieselkrieg models.

Rules wise you have a couple of options:
-Strike legion does indeed have a VSF supplement, but its mostly landship focused. I have made stats for all the stahlritter units at tech level 1 (diesel trough to fusion power) and to be honest it feels a bit round hole square peg. The system offers a lot of fun toys and systems and at the tech level, you use none of them. When the insect nomads hit the shelves this will be more interesting as they can use the tech-bio hybrid rules which might be more involved.

-At a pinch, many of the models make very good Epic Armageddon stand-ins as well. We have been tinkering with army lists to field the models using that ruleset as well, if people are interested in this idea do give me a poke, we could use some extra minds on it.

-I personally quite like Dirtside II for it, the rules are free online and if you don't like the token system there is a simple conversion to dice. Its exactly the size you mention, and does engineering and the likes quite well. It should cover the quar as well, though the insect nomads a bit less so maybe. (I'm thinking the insects could be done as crawler mecha?)

-We have been working on some purpose-made rules, but not that much progress has been made I'm afraid.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 10:01:51 AM by YPU »
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 01:16:02 PM »
Cheers YPU, I read your post ages back and never responded, apologies.

I've decided since Microworld have released some new Dieselpunk tanks to post what I've done so far. I was going to wait until the entire Army was done, but it's been a bit slow (I regret choosing the three colour pattern, should have been sensible and gone buff). lol

All that's left to do now is the Infantry (everything from Inf, to support to raiders and Medical) and the last two super tanks.

After that I want to add a few more APCs, ARVs and Flamer vehicles and a few platoons of the newer vehicles and then it'll be time to think about opponents. Almost tempted to purchase a second army of Stahl for a Civil War game.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2021, 02:35:46 PM »
Gods I complained about slow production a year ago and things haven't gotten better since, that's kind of depressing. But like you say we have a pair of new tanks out and artillery on the way!

Aah but this pattern does look so nice on them! Looking forwards to your take on the infantry as well.

You aren't the first to mention a civil war, though we do also plan on having a faction that will share many of these tanks, city-states that purchase their vehicles from the same companies as the stahl faction.

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2021, 03:43:28 PM »
It'll get there eventually, I doubt Covid has helped alongside all the other turmoil this year.

I look forward to the new factions, DieselKrieg is certainly a favourite of mine considering its uniqueness.

I've already thought up some City States using Stahl tanks, is there going to be further alternative types of current tanks for foreign states?

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2021, 04:16:01 PM »
I've already thought up some City States using Stahl tanks, is there going to be further alternative types of current tanks for foreign states?

The plan is yes, no idea about the timeline though.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2021, 01:00:13 PM »
Oh I should also say some people are using Laserstorm to play these which is a interesting idea. It has a couple of ways of constructing forces and is entirely token or marker free. Fleeing units leave the table altogether and can later re-deploy close to a commander if the rally, this is interesting and kind of fits early modern warfare command structures well I think. Worth a look.