Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:32:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: DungeonDeviser, random dungeon map tool  (Read 1195 times)

Offline _Si_

• Bookworm
    • BlokeCrafted
DungeonDeviser, random dungeon map tool
« on: May 31, 2020, 10:55:06 AM »
Hi folks,

Not sure if it'll be of interest here or not, but thought I'd share it on the off chance. Whilst furloughed from work for the last three weeks I wanted a project to keep myself busy (hah, like I don't have a thousand!), so I decided to make a little tool to randomly generate dungeon maps.

I built it to be seeded (think Minecraft maps), so if you find one you like and share the seed with someone else, they'll see the exact same map. You can toggle a few settings, I'm currently trying to figure out how to generate an image or pdf version properly (tried two solutions now, both gave less than optimal results).

If you'd like to have a play it's here:
https://gtazz.com/kataan/dungeondeviser/

And there's a blog post on my site talking about various options and future plans here:
https://www.gtazz.com/blokecrafted/news/dungeondeviser/

If you find any bugs or would like to make suggestions please let me know! Whilst it was designed as a diversion for myself, if it can be of use to people that'd be awesome! I'm imagining a D&D group using it on an lcd gaming table :D

Cheers,
Si

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: DungeonDeviser, random dungeon map tool
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 12:25:17 PM »
Works well as a generator and all rooms have entrances which is a good thing! It has a lot of potential.

Normal mouse right click "save as pdf" function works fine, if you hide the help and title you get a clean copy with the seed number showing.

For a skirmish floor plan it is OK, just drop on scenery in each room like laying out a game table. Either 3D onto a VTT or 2D in something like photoshop (could do with a accessories graphics selection included for that).
But for rpg there remains a lot of GM work to generate the details of what each room is and what is in there as this generates the floorplan not the dungeon.  I think the card based systems are better for random dungeons as they include the plan plus the contents and can be generated as the party advances into the dungeon room by room.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 12:47:34 PM »
That is very cool. Great work on that. One thing I noticed was sometimes the dungeon names were hard to read due to overlapping of the dungeon. I'm on an android mobile running chrome if that helps. Love the dungeon names to. Super work all around

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 01:01:18 PM »
brilliant.

tbh, the dungeon names inspire scenarios all by themselves - but having the rooms generated is essential in leading the mind on ... excellent stuff.

Offline _Si_

• Bookworm
    • BlokeCrafted
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 02:42:08 PM »
Thanks for the feedback all!

@robh, definitely, agree with everything. It's pretty clear I'm not an RPG player right? I was thinking about adding special rooms with a de-marked feature (chasm, well, glowing orb..), but I wouldn't presume to know how to relate that to game terms for a GM. I do like the idea of furniture, I think I could add something there. Definitely not trying to replace anyone's go to mapping tool, but if it sparks ideas and even handles a skirmish encounter then I count it as a win.

@beefcake, good shout on the dungeon names, I'll make sure they get enough space when they're long and real estate is tight.

@Bloggard, thanks, I'll be honest I was particularly happy with the random name generator :). Any name with the word oubliette in instantly reminds me of Labyrinth and makes me grin.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 06:35:17 PM »
Thanks for the feedback all!

@robh, definitely, agree with everything. It's pretty clear I'm not an RPG player right? I was thinking about adding special rooms with a de-marked feature (chasm, well, glowing orb..), but I wouldn't presume to know how to relate that to game terms for a GM. I do like the idea of furniture, I think I could add something there. Definitely not trying to replace anyone's go to mapping tool, but if it sparks ideas and even handles a skirmish encounter then I count it as a win.

Certainly enough there already to handle skirmish games. For rpgs best not get into too much detail, so many different systems so you could not hope to please everyone!

I remember working on an iT implementation project many years ago where one of the system coders was an rpg fan. In his "spare" time he coded a text based dungeon generator for AD&D where the GM entered a primary and secondary monster type (Skeletons and Wraiths or Orcs and Trolls for example) and the app created room contents including monsters, treasure, traps and such like.
It did not do graphics but he used it with card floorplans sized to the room dimensions he had set in the generator.

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 06:36:53 PM »
Nice work, thanks for sharing it.

Offline Admiral Alder

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 04:29:02 PM »
Thank you Si for sharing this and the work that's obviously gone into it.

I love the random names too!