Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:43:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686626
  • Total Topics: 118115
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dominion of the Daleks - Doctoring not-Lego pepperpots for wargaming  (Read 2882 times)

Offline Macrossmartin

• Scientist
  • Hobbies from Other Dimensions!
    • The Miniature Martin Site

Hello everyone!

Well, coming back to LAF seems to be rekindling a lot of my forgotten projects. It only took this post https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=121022.0 by Harry Faversham to get me enthused about my long-neglected Daleks, and now I've gone and reanimated my old 'Martin's Models' blog to document their adventures.

To my surprise, it lurched off the operating table as soon as I threw the switch, and now there's a new, Dalek article for you to enjoy!

https://sites.google.com/site/martinsmodels/the-miniatures/exterminate-part-one

This will be a long series of articles, because as well as merely showcasing my Daleks, there will be DIY pieces for converting Daleks, and making suitably BBC-esque scenery. (How many cheap cardboard tubes and cans of silver paint can you accumulate?  ;) )

I'll also provide PDFs of all the rules, lasercutting templates and cards for my Dominion of the Daleks game.

I hope you come take a look, and enjoy!

Operating from an abandoned US spy base somewhere in the Australian outback, Miniature Martin produces games and scale miniatures set in parallel worlds, past and future. He is NOT trying to take over the Earth. This time.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
Re: Dominion of the Daleks - Doctoring not-Lego pepperpots for wargaming
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 02:50:45 PM »
This is one of the most inspiring posts I've seen in a long time. Loving your blog, Martin! It had me trotting out to the shed to look over my own Whovian collection (all in 54mm!), wondering when I might next get a game in! Thank you for the link to Second Empire - I was totally unaware of it and look forward to giving it a read through.

You mention you have some rules on your blog. Where are they located?

I'll be back with more thoughts later.

Offline Macrossmartin

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 03:03:18 PM »
This is one of the most inspiring posts I've seen in a long time. Loving your blog, Martin! It had me trotting out to the shed to look over my own Whovian collection (all in 54mm!), wondering when I might next get a game in! Thank you for the link to Second Empire - I was totally unaware of it and look forward to giving it a read through.

You mention you have some rules on your blog. Where are they located?

I'll be back with more thoughts later.

Very glad you're enjoying my babblings so far.  :D

Be forewarned! Second Empire is utterly brilliant, and completely addictive. It is funny, poignant, and does more to flesh out the Daleks into a functioning society than 50 years of Who has achieved. I cannot recommend it enough.

As for the rules - my apologies, but you will have to wait for a future instalment! The Dominion rules are complete, but they need a polish and laying out so people other than myself can understand them. I'll get them done in a month or so.

Offline TripleBackflip

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 03:20:34 PM »
Second empire is amazing, have you read the second comic? "Trapped in Amber".

As I build up my own Dalek empire, I'll be sure to keep looking here for inspiration.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 04:37:03 PM »
Well, coming back to LAF seems to be rekindling a lot of my forgotten projects.

It does tend to do that! And start new projects too...

Welcome back - I will read through the blog later, sounds promising.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 05:40:37 PM »
Anticipation exceeds beyond limits now - OBEY, OBEY!

Offline forrester

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 06:44:05 PM »
Your blog is saved to favourites.
In my case, this is already a well trodden road to madness, thanks to Harlequin/Black Tree and Warlord.

http://tanksandthings.weebly.com/assorted-dw.html

I look forward to reading your rules in due course.
And yes Second Empire is stunning.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 07:08:35 PM »
Very glad you're enjoying my babblings so far.  :D

Be forewarned! Second Empire is utterly brilliant, and completely addictive. It is funny, poignant, and does more to flesh out the Daleks into a functioning society than 50 years of Who has achieved. I cannot recommend it enough.

As for the rules - my apologies, but you will have to wait for a future instalment! The Dominion rules are complete, but they need a polish and laying out so people other than myself can understand them. I'll get them done in a month or so.

I couldn't agree more about Second Empire - fantastically entertaining! Really thrilled with the discovery. And not to worry about the rules. Out of curiosity, are they for Dalek vs Dalek conflicts only, or are the Doctor, companions, UNIT, etc. also catered for? Whatever the answer, I'll greatly look forward to seeing them.

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2020, 07:57:25 PM »
This looks like lots of fun. I got those cheap plastic Daley’s from the magazine (except the children broke a few). I always liked that Warlords game, but haven’t got the space for a set up like that one. Look forward to seeing more.

Offline Macrossmartin

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 02:16:35 AM »
Thank you all, for your generous comments and questions. Great to have such interest, as it does help to inspire output!

Triple: Yep, I read Trapped in Amber just recently. Amazing how the death of an old Dalek can be something solemn and poignant. Also, I want a horde of Mechonoids!
(Those would be big in the same scale as my Daleks... but relatively easy to sculpt... hmmmmmm...  ::)  )

Forrester: Those are some nice, grungy Daleks! They look a lot meaner than mine in their 60's inspired liveries.
I'd buy the Warlord daleks by the carton, but the lack of rotatable heads drives me irrationally nuts...  >:(

Arundel: I think this may answer your question? :

« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 02:06:19 PM by Macrossmartin »

Offline TripleBackflip

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 10:24:09 AM »
Your blog is saved to favourites.
In my case, this is already a well trodden road to madness, thanks to Harlequin/Black Tree and Warlord.

http://tanksandthings.weebly.com/assorted-dw.html

Hi, I've ordered some Daleks from Black tree Design, how long did you have to wait for yours to arrive?

I look forward to reading your rules in due course.
And yes Second Empire is stunning.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2020, 01:32:45 PM »

Arundel: I this may answer your question? :

Oh. yes it does!  :D

Offline forrester

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2020, 08:33:51 PM »
TripleBackFlip, sorry my last purchases from Black Tree were several years ago so I don't know what the current turnaround is like. Others may know more.

The lack of rotating heads on Warlord Daleks is not a deal breaker for me; I had to use Blu-tac on the others anyway as one slight bump of the storage box had heads bouncing all over the place!

Offline Macrossmartin

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2020, 06:28:38 AM »
Dominion of the Daleks - Part Two!

Greetings, fellow fans of octopoid, monocular mutants! There is a new article about my Dalek building activities  for you to enjoy. That didn't take long, did it now?

Well, I ask you...  :`

Follow the link to my blog if you'd like a bit of insight into how I convert my Character Building Daleks into some of their rarer kith.  :)

https://sites.google.com/site/martinsmodels/the-miniatures/exterminate-part-one/dominion-of-the-daleks-part-2

Offline TripleBackflip

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2020, 10:31:11 AM »
While I am building a new Dalek army, I have another Lego one for a game called Brikwars, here's a pic from an old solo game:

« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 10:34:51 AM by TripleBackflip »