Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:12:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690583
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 728
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Yet Another Old World Project (Skull Pass + Terrain)  (Read 6100 times)

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
Yet Another Old World Project (Skull Pass + Terrain)
« on: June 09, 2020, 03:13:20 PM »
Stumbled upon this on Chinese equivalent of e-bay and just couldn't resist! Going to play this with a friend (and paint it of course) and hopefully use the minis to start play testing my own idea of what a fantasy war game should be (because who doesn't have his/her own idea of what a fantasy war-game should be?)

But first, assembly, clean-up and painting. Will use this thread as a log to remind myself to do something so I can at least post a message once a week.

Day 1 (well 3 really it spent the first 2 sitting on the living room table while I thought about what to do)

Night goblins, terrain, markers and dwarf wagon assembled.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 04:04:42 PM by scatterbrains »

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
Re: Right Angled Fantasy (Battle For Skull Pass)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 02:13:35 AM »
Cool! So, what is the Chinese equivalent of ebay?

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 05:11:55 AM »
Its Taobao's(淘宝) second hand store app Xian Yu (闲鱼)

Had to get a coworker to help me buy it though. Taobao works fine for foreigners in China but Xianyu cant seem to buy something without a chinese ID. At least i havent found a way yet.

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 04:43:46 PM »
3 hours into this and so far its all about them mould lines.

Maybe 1/3 of them scraped off ... Rage against the machine is helping.

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
Re: Another Old World Project (Skull Pass + Terrain)
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 04:03:53 PM »
It isn't the Old World without a green table and a farmhouse to protect.

What better place to start then the old farmhouse from Warhammer Townscape!

It was looking pretty small when i printed it from the PDF file so I had to extract the pictures, separate them and enlarge them before getting started.
I'm mounting it on cardboard and tiling the roof to give it some pop.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 04:06:29 PM by scatterbrains »

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Yet Another Old World Project (Skull Pass + Terrain)
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 04:45:39 PM »
Love those old buildings. Nothing says Oldhammer like the massive x4 roof tiles!
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Davout

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 05:56:15 PM »
Great set. I've got a ton of the mono pose dwarfs and goblin spear. 

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 06:42:28 PM »
Great project! And I really like the trees you have lurking in the background.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 07:21:14 PM »
What a great find! Lucky you!

I wish you much joy with this project and I will definitely pop by this thread to see "The Old World" in action :)

Should you find yourself having problems coming up with rules I recommend having a look at "Warlords of Erehwon". I just ordered the book myself.  Partly because I was up for buying a nice hardback and partly because... well, it's Rick Priestley!
"The philosopher Didactylos has summed up an alternative hypothesis as: Things just happen. What the hell."

Offline Davout

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 11:09:54 PM »
I'm planning on using Dragon Rampant to bring back the Old World to my group.

Offline mirjeki

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2020, 01:21:15 AM »
Great thread! I'm looking forward to seeing those hardy dwarfs and sneaky goblins in action!

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2020, 05:49:06 AM »
Didnt expect so much interest! It will definitely help me keep me on track! I havent painted miniatures yet because still finishing a frostgrave warband first but will have an old school easy to make table with stepped hills and such ready soon!

Love those old buildings. Nothing says Oldhammer like the massive x4 roof tiles!

Hah, I didnt realize my roof tiling style was typically oldhammer until you mentioned it! It just felt right making it that way, now I know why thanks.  :D

Great set. I've got a ton of the mono pose dwarfs and goblin spear. 

Yes they are! Just the right balance between monopose and variety I feel! The basic goblin spears have 6 or 7 different sculpts I think which gives a great sense of unity without looking like chess pawns. Love em.

Great project! And I really like the trees you have lurking in the background.

Cheers Rick, I think I followed the Beasts of war tree tutorial mostly, there's a bit of a step by step on my Ghosts of the Shadow Grave topic. Mostly needs very thick green scouring pad (I have a roll of it) and I drybrushed some pale yellow for highlights (Naples yellow) to make them pop. They are lurking there waiting to be rebased  :D

What a great find! Lucky you!

I wish you much joy with this project and I will definitely pop by this thread to see "The Old World" in action :)

Should you find yourself having problems coming up with rules I recommend having a look at "Warlords of Erehwon". I just ordered the book myself.  Partly because I was up for buying a nice hardback and partly because... well, it's Rick Priestley!

Thank you historiker, joy is exactly what I'm looking for in this project! And I'll definitely check out Erehwon if I get stuck!

I'm planning on using Dragon Rampant to bring back the Old World to my group.

Is that the osprey rules? What are they like? I've played very little of anything to this day but love the esthetics of oldhammer.

Great thread! I'm looking forward to seeing those hardy dwarfs and sneaky goblins in action!

Me too! Believe it or not these are the first dwarves I've ever owned and the battle report from the orc and goblin 5th edition book my friend owned with the fanatics and hardy dwarves seems to have remained what my mind feels fantasy should look like.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2020, 09:45:11 AM »
Hah, I didnt realize my roof tiling style was typically oldhammer until you mentioned it! It just felt right making it that way, now I know why thanks.  :D

Although big for a slate or clay tile, in fairness it probably would be about right for a wooden one.

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2020, 11:08:01 AM »
Fantastic addition to the town house, I've been thinking of printing them out as well, but the roof tiles really adds to it.

Battle for skull pass is one of the best sets GW out for WFB, even with the some of the issues with the dwarf sculpts! Always wished I'd picked a 2nd copy up when I had the chance. Those goblins are superior to the multipart set, they have some lovely additions to them like pouches and moon belts that are absent from the multipart set. The terrain in it is superb as well.

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2020, 03:41:11 PM »
Although big for a slate or clay tile, in fairness it probably would be about right for a wooden one.

Not gonna lie it was gonna be slate or clay, wood only for the tool shed so yes they are very big! Still debating color ... My last build has blueish tiles but oldhammer is more red clay i feel?

Fantastic addition to the town house, I've been thinking of printing them out as well, but the roof tiles really adds to it.

Battle for skull pass is one of the best sets GW out for WFB, even with the some of the issues with the dwarf sculpts! Always wished I'd picked a 2nd copy up when I had the chance. Those goblins are superior to the multipart set, they have some lovely additions to them like pouches and moon belts that are absent from the multipart set. The terrain in it is superb as well.

Heads up if you decide to print them out, they fairly small, i had to separate them from original pdf.

Also I think no more tiles for a while I've had my fill  o_o