Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:57:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686475
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Undead liche masters, war rhino and colossal skeleton [PICS]  (Read 2479 times)

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
Hello adventurers,

after painting a full set of Space Crusade I felt the urge to return to my undead (I've found alternating undead with board games motivates me very much). This time my offering is only partly classic, and very little Citadel.

Let's start off with a group shot:

This is the whole newly painted bunch. It consists of Metal Magic skeletons, several Rafm Lich Masters, a colossal skeleton by Reaper in 'bones' plastic and a Grenadier undead rhino or 'war rhino captive carrier'.

Last year I placed an order at Rafm to get their skeleton war wagon (link in the bottom of this post) and I couldn't resist several of their very characterful lich masters. This model "Grave Lich & Throne" is an understated magic skeleton on a small stool in front of an elaborate archway. I painted him in natural colours to show him as one with nature (in a sense) and added extra flowers on his base. The model to the left is Metal Magic, while the model to the right is a more recent (1995) Grenader figure (which I got as part of an undead mammoth).

Next up is a lich magician sommuning an undead rabbit from a hat, and a lich seer summoning skeletons at full moon in a burning village while being watched by a ghoul servant. Both of these models are a little bit goofy to some extent so I tried my best to make them look evil. I'm not a big fan of the magician's skull but I like how the seer turned out.

To spice up the models a bit I embellished their clothing with decorations.

One of my favourite Lich masters is the "Lich enthroned". Another seated lich with a very regal appearance, so I painted him purple. I really like seated models but to make this one a bit mode believable I painted the throne as if it was carved from stone and standing in a graveyard. The jewel on top of the throne was a small plastic jewel that was supplied with it. I glued it on after painting and washed it over with black wash to darken it. The skeletons are old Metal Magic sculpts and unfortunately I have misplaced my lead foil so the standard bearer remains bannerless for the time being.

Next to this Metal Magic skeleton is a Rafm Tomb Wraith & master. The models came separate but in the end I decided to base them together. I painted the wraith as if it was made of fire, so the master was painted as an elemental necromancer. I believe most if not all of these Rafm models are from around 1994. The Metal Magic skeletons seem to be from around 1990-1992.

This undead rhino is probably the oldest model of this lot, dated 1987 as far as I can tell. I got him second hand missing a tail and the bolt thrower an I'm not sure if I got the rider with him. To tie him in with my army though I replaced all the crew with Citadel skeletons (in the howdah) and a Marauder seleton with a wire whip on the neck (a model which was already missing it's sword). I bent and reposed the rhino slightly to make it more dynamic and added reigns from thread and a little seat for the rider.

I sculpted the tail around a piece of wire with pro-create, and bent it afterwards (pro-create remaining flexible after curing). I've found the howdah accomodates a 20mm square base perfectly (as this skeleton hero deonstrates) so I knew I had to keep the crew separate, something which I wouldn't normally do. I didn't care to add a bolt thrower.

To keep the crew sturdy and in place I built them into a little single-piece module. The base is made from cut up cavalry bases and the skeletons are neatly packed together with connection points reinforced with glue. This way the crew always fits and doesn't fall over easily.

Finally we have this bone giant or 'Collosal skeleton' from Reaper, part of their first kickstarter in bones plastic. I have been putting off painting this model for a while because some parts were bent and I don't really like working with the material. So I went for minimal effort in preparing this model and cut away a bendy sword and otherwise posed the model better by glueing the headstone (R.I.P. Blind Pew) to the base (80x80mm or four 40mm square bases together). In painting I didn't want to go for an Egyptian look so I painted the cloth parts black and the rest of the details brown. I think neutral colours suit this model which is somewhat rag-tag (being held together with wood, nails and ropes) and also give is a bit more classic feel, which is not bad for a rather extravagant model trying to fit into my army.

In the end the model still has some heft (thanks to the sand on the base) and I like the way it looks. So I am a bit more positive about bones models than I was before. Next time the following steps should make working with this stuff easier though:
1. clean the model with detergent (some paint flaked off during drybrushing).
2. put bent parts in boiling water to bend them into the desired shape
3. freeze the model

That's it for now, if you want to see more have a look at my previous posts:

Classic undead dragon riders [PICS]
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=121839.0

More classic undead: pre-slotta Citadel, War Wagon, Necrodrake, monsters [PICS]
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=120846

Pictures of my army:
https://imgur.com/gallery/qGwakyw
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 08:53:27 PM by Pil »
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Undead liche masters, war rhino and collossal skeleton [PICS]
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 08:25:57 PM »
Splendid  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 08:46:57 PM »
A great looking collection, particularly love the rhino  8)

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 08:53:03 PM »
A great looking collection, particularly love the rhino  8)

Me too, it's such a classic model and I'm happy to have finally painted it! :)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Undead liche masters, war rhino and colossal skeleton [PICS]
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 09:12:08 PM »
Wonderful additions to that great Undead army* of yours!
I love all the various affects that you have achieved on this bunch, but the 'seeing-stone-thingy' is a top drawer idea.
 :-* :-*

*Just how big is it now?

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 09:32:13 PM »
Wonderful additions to that great Undead army* of yours!
I love all the various affects that you have achieved on this bunch, but the 'seeing-stone-thingy' is a top drawer idea.
 :-* :-*

*Just how big is it now?

Thank you! To be honest I don't know how big my army is at the moment, probably around 500 models painted. I mean to take inventory at some point, update the older bases and do new army shots. But that's quite an undertaking and it requires quite some space.

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 09:32:41 PM »
"Boney" (nice) work!

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 09:45:40 PM »
Brilliant stuff  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)