Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:08:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690823
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 749
Total: 754

Recent

Author Topic: A call for help  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
A call for help
« on: July 18, 2020, 06:44:24 PM »
Well, the thing is that a Spanish publishing house has asked me for a basic draft on a possible book they would commission me to write on the siege on Cartagena de Indias of 1741. I have most of the primary and secondary sources well covered and located, at least on the Spanish and British sides of the campaign. However, I can't find much on the American side of the expedition. I have an approximate idea -and some secondary sources- where to find the pertinent information on the "Milicias de Pardos" (Brown Militias), local forces recruited among the black and mulatto populations to reinforce the garrison, and on the Indian auxiliaries that fought for the Spanish.

However, I have not a clue where I could find information, either on primary or secondary sources, on the British-American colonists that fought as marines and soldiers, nor the Jamaican slaves that were used to build parapets, field fortifications, move guns and supplies, act as orderlies, ecc.

I was wondering if someone knows where can I find information about them.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
Re: A call for help
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 12:03:50 PM »
I would try and find out which American colonies contributed forces and then approach the relevant modern-day State's historical society - even if they don't have anything, they might be able to direct you to more appropriate sources.  Ditto for the Jamaican government (I haven't a clue where you would find any documentation on the Indian forces, I'm afraid).  However, the most important papers for both these groups would be held at the National Archives at Kew, in London (if, as you say, you have located most of the important British documents, you should be familiar with that place).
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 12:25:18 PM »
A possible solution.....

Have you thought of approaching Mike Snook Antonio?

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 02:48:45 PM »
Thanks for the tips, guys.

I've found some more info in the meanwhile. First, on the American contribution. For starters, Lawrence Washington, elder brother of George Washington, was a captain in Gooch's Regiment, also known as American Regiment, during the campaign. The Mount Vernon Ladies' Association have been so kind to provide me with a copy of the letter he wrote from Jamaica after the expedition, to his father in Virginia. Also, in the Colonial and State Records of North Carolina I've found that they have digitalized some documents related to the expedition, particularly related to Gooch's regiment. From there I have learnt that there were 30 companies recruited in the American colonies for the expedition: four companies were raised in New England, two in Rhode Island, two in Connecticut, five in New York, four in Pennsylvania, two in the Jerseys, three in Maryland, four in Virginia and four in North Carolina; about 3600 men in four battalions. There are also digitalized the force returns of the regiment for January, February, April and November 1741 (when just under half the complement was still fit for duty; Washington said that they had been severely depleted by disease).

I've also found more documents -that I will need to check once travel is somewhat normalized- in the National Maritime Museum at Greenwich (besides the ones in the NA at Kew).

Still, nothing on Jamaican blacks. I must learn if Vernon asked the Jamaican planters for a lease of their slaves (it is awful, I know, but that how it was back then with chattel slavery  :() in which case there should be a paper trail somewhere, or he asked for volunteers among the free black population, or perhaps even bought some slaves with the funds assigned to the expedition.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 02:50:21 PM by Antonio J Carrasco »