Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:14:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690465
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Daeothar does Star Wars - More Stormtroopers  (Read 14913 times)

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
Re: Daeothar does Star Wars - Moisture Farmer Homestead
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2021, 09:00:31 AM »
I see them just fine. Can't stop the signal (whoops, wrong franchise...)

Sweet looking, building there. You board is coming up nicely
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2021, 09:02:03 AM »
Great looking terrain  8)

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2021, 10:19:05 AM »
Looks great!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #93 on: January 02, 2021, 11:11:55 AM »
Well that's new  :(

They're showing up on all of my devices, but I'll check to see what's off here. Perhaps the Empire is blocking our frequencies...

I can see them on my phone but not the laptop (laptop was my initial viewing).

They do look great though  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #94 on: January 02, 2021, 11:46:27 AM »
Exact same as me can't see them on my laptop but can on my phone??
Has something changed on the forum?
There have been a few threads recently where I can't see the pictures?

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2021, 07:29:13 PM »
Nice.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Daeothar does Star Wars - Tusken Raider scatter terrain
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2021, 03:29:10 AM »
On the back,  I added a vent of sorts from my 40K bits box. A space buck for the first one to guess its origins ;)
Vent off the back of a Terminator.

Grimm

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2021, 08:18:22 AM »
Nice try, but alas...  ;D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2021, 07:01:36 PM »
Exact same as me can't see them on my laptop but can on my phone??
Has something changed on the forum?
There have been a few threads recently where I can't see the pictures?

Yep, same for me. I could see them an my tablet but not on my PC.

Are you using crome? This seems to be the problem for me, I tried another browser on the same Pc and I could see them just fine. More google BS no doubt.

Nice work on the Terrain, really looks the part.

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2021, 10:44:16 AM »
Yep, same for me. I could see them an my tablet but not on my PC.

Are you using crome? This seems to be the problem for me, I tried another browser on the same Pc and I could see them just fine. More google BS no doubt.

Nice work on the Terrain, really looks the part.

Thanks for the tip about Chrome - I was having the same issue, switching to an alternative browser worked for me. The terrain looks great and it is making it harder for me to resist trying some Star Wars modelling myself.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2021, 09:30:16 PM »
As luck would have it, I found myself completely without obligations today; I had dropped my daughter off at school, my wife was at work, I had the day off and all chores were done. So I was happily able to spend the entire day on my hobby.

Now, I could have continued painting my Dark Eldar (an entire squad of Wyches is sitting on my desk, waiting to be finished), but I felt doing a bit more terrain would be more rewarding on the short run. I mean; either finish the skin tones on a dozen of murderous acrobats, and then maybe the basecoat on the armour, or create an entire building from scratch?

It's obvious what would yield the most visible result, so out came the foam cutter :D

And time flies when you're having fun, so I had to pull myself away halfway the afternoon to go and collect the little lady, or I have no doubt I would have been able to get this thing all the way up to the undercoating stage, but alas; that'll be for another day.

But enough waffle; on to the pictures!

I'm quite happy with how this larger building came out. I experimented with slanted walls, and this is also a more interactive structure than the previous ones, built especially with skirmish style gaming in mind.

The only  bummer was that the hot glue I used was just too hot this time around, and it melted some of the foam here and there (most visibly on the stairs  :-X ). I never had that problem before, but nothing a liberal application of wall filler won't fix eventually...

Obviously, it's not finished just yet, but the basic structure is. Remaining to do is possibly the creation of some small window slits, the covering of the entire structure with wall filler, and sanding that down, scratchbuilding the two doors and entryways, plus the addition of some greebles and scattered items here and there.

And of course that's all before the actual painting...

I had a blast today though, and I hope to be able to put the finishing touches on this structure later this week :)

The Empire approves of this structure!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 09:37:41 PM by Daeothar »

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Daeothar does Star Wars - Large building WIP
« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2021, 12:41:55 PM »
So, despite the overwhelming response to the new building, I decided to plough on... :D

First up were the doors and windows. Yes, windows; I cut several window slits high up in the walls, right below the (envisioned) ceiling, because I felt that the otherwise rather bland side and back walls required a bit more visual interest. But leaving them open would not be an option. I mean; they would let in all the outside heat, plus the sand (Course; gets everywhere) and probably a multitude of creepy crawlers, most of which no doubt parasitic.

So I built shutters for al of them by means of a strip of plasticard the height of the windows, on which I glued overlapping smaller strips, to look like some lamelated covers.

Then the doors. On this larger construction, there are two; one on the ground floor and one on the second story, leading to what can't be anything else than some storage attic of sorts; it's too small even for a guestroom. Unless the guests are Jawas, but who in their right mind would invite those thieving little vermin inside their home, right?

Anyway...

I constructed two doors, using the same template. Except for the lower one I used the design, and for the top one, I used the cut-outs. The results are nice enough in both cases though. I then constructed an arch around both for those ubiqutous Tatooine recessed doorframes. These I then embellished with pieces of semicircular styrene rod, interspaced regularly.

Then it was time for some greebling.

Firstly, I assembled some control panels for the doors, by combining several styrene strips, -sheets and -rods, and a couple of small gubbinz from the bitsbox.

And then I raided another bitsbox for some larger pieces to dot around the building. I settled for some tubing, a part that I think belonged on the rear of a Predator Lascannon turret and some tie-wrap cut offs (that will probably not be used in the end).

The box will be positioned high up on the second story wall, and once painting is done, I will probably add some cables to it. Also, I will be adding some scatter terrain such as crates, boxes and barrels at the end, like I did with the other buildings.

Once this was done, I covered the entire building in wall filler and let that dry completely. Once dry, I then sanded it smooth as well as I could, taking care not to take too much off so as to expose the foam underneath.

This time around, I had decided to carefully mask off the doors and windows before applying the filler, but that was not a success. For once, the tape stuck like crazy, and it also got stuck by overflowing filler, so in the end masking was more trouble than it was worth. It had the added negative of ruining the perfectly square window openings too ::)

Maybe next time I will leave the doors and windows out, but instead I will put a dummy in each place, which I can then later remove, leaving the filler intact, while also not filling up the textures of the windows and doors.

But once sanded, the building started to look like a proper adobe-style construction, and it was ready for painting.

I am in the process of painting this thing right now, so I will probably only be adding pictures once those steps are done, but who knows.

So far, the building has received two layers of a protective basecoat of the standard desaturated brown wall paint I use for all my terrain, mixed with water and PVA glue.

Then I sprayed the entire building with Armypainter Sand, and added a reddish stripe to the walls, made by sponging on a mix of a burnt red, sand and white, with the stripe once again taped off with masking tape. This tape took off some small chips of plaster here and there,so I will have to touch those up with a sand coloured paint, but this will probably only add to the overall look.

Next up will be washing with brown and then drybrushing with bone white, after which it's off to my favourite part; detailing :)

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Daeothar does Star Wars - Large building (more progress)
« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2021, 12:52:37 PM »
I like the foam building. I have been thinking about making similar things.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2021, 12:55:33 PM »
Brill  8)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2021, 01:50:51 PM »
Nice job, already looks the part, but the detailing and paint job will make it pop

:)