Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:47:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Daeothar does Star Wars - More Stormtroopers  (Read 14907 times)

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Daeothar does Star Wars - Imperial brass
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2020, 10:24:58 AM »
So, an expected hiatus of 1 week turned into almost 3 weeks. This was mostly due to the weather, which did its very best to reach actual Tatooine-like temperatures, combined with a humidity more akin to that on Camino... ::)

My painting desk is still situated on the top floor of our house, under a flat roof, so temperatures regularly topped 40 degrees C, at a humidity of 80%. So everything stuck to everything else, paint would simply not dry (I did try), and I was sweating so profusively, it dripped from my forehead onto the mini under the brush, so I called it, and resigned myself to a vacation without hobby time.

I did manage to rewire the entire ground floor of the house, which was a mammoth task on its own, but that hardly qualifies as hobby time; that's just plain work :D

Yesterday though, after temperatures finally dropped to acceptable levels over the weekend, I finally managed to get some miniature work in!

Originally, I had wanted to paint some more minis (read; Stormtroopers), but then I watched this Youtube clip of a guy making a Tusken Raider village from foam, and this seemed like the perfect little project to take on.

So I grabbed some 50mm XPS foam cut-offs, left over from  building my table, and went to town on them with my foam-cutter. It was the perfect opportunity to try out the circle cutting accessory I bought from Shifting Lands a while back, and it works just great.

I started out with 3 cilinders, each 5cm high (obviously), and two with a diameter of 8cm and one of 10cm (this would be some sort of chieftain's tent).

The Youtuber used two 1 inch thick sheets glued together, so I think I had an edge there, but then; he was able to glue a smaller diameter layer on top of a larger one, so he already had a head start when shaping the huts/tents.

This proved to be the most challenging part of this build (and then only marginally so; this is a very easy project), as I used an extendable blade to make the cuts.

Now, I do have a very simple handheld foam cutter, with different, swappable, business ends, but it had decided to play hide and seek, and the most frustrating part of the build (so far ::) ) was the hour I wasted trying to find it. So in the end, I had to settle for the knife...

By the time I got to the third hut, I had found a workable method to cut them, and the last one turned out much better than the previous two. I might opt to make a few more, to turn this hunting camp into a small village though.

His versions were perfectly hexagonal and dome shaped, with defined sides, but I purposely made mine a bit more haphazard, as I figured it fit the subject better.

I then cut out the doors, with a bit of interior space, just like my example on Youtube. Following that, I added broken off cocktail sticks to the top, to simulate the hut's framework and also some to door of the large tent, to form some sort of awning later on. Where the poles connected, I tied them together with some very soft metal wire, which I believe I once resqued from a piece of broken jewelry. It basically works like a piece of very thin floral wire I suppose (but this was free ;) ).

Then for the fun part: I tore up small pieces of thick paper (or thin card I suppose ;P ), soaked them in a PVA/water mix, and stuck the pieces onto the huts, starting on the bottom, layering them as I worked up towards the top. I made sure I made some patched up areas here and there too, to aid in the haphazard look.

This was the first time I used this technique, and when checking the results this morning, I was really pleasantly surprised by how sturdy it had become. The foam makes them too light to use as terrain pieces in my opinion though, so I might embed some nuts and bolts into the bottom, to weigh them down a bit.

And all that's left to do now, is paint them!

Also, I also faithfully copied the Youtube guy's idea of a framework with a tanning hide. A simple (roughed up) cocktail stick frame, tied with the same soft metal wire I used before, and some thread tied and glued in strategic places to create a spider's web on the inside. I cut a hide from  0.5mm plasticard and duplicated that. I then used polystyrene glue to stick them together, sandwiching the wires. I still have to add some sort of pins to the places where the wires meet the hide.

To emphasise the savage nature of the Tusken Raiders, I added some human(oid) remains to the base as well.

Left to make is a campfire, but that's pretty easily done, and stills from the movies show some sort of conically shaped pottery stored next to the huts, so I might have a go at those too. All in all, I'm hoping I will be able to (nearly?) finish the entire set this evening.

In conclusion, this will be a nice objective for a Jedi in touch with his darker side, or a squad of Stormtroopers looking to pacify the region.

Now for an extra Bantha or two... :D

Oh; and during my vacation, I received a package of 3D printed Star Wars crates I bought from a seller on Ebay. He sold them in batches of 10, so I ordered two, since these are so ubiquous, and piles of them can be used as set dressing, cover, objectives, you name it.

But I was sorely disappointed when I received them;

'Yeah, well, I told you not to inflate them too much, captain.'

I mean; really? They were advertized as compatible with Legion (the small crate is an original plastic Legion one), but they look more compatible with 3" action figures. Not to mention the printing layers on the product; this was actually one of the better ones.

After requesting to return them, I was fully refunded though, with the excuse that the person printing them had done so at the wrong resolution and not scaled down. So now to hunt for some better ones. Resin ones are probably a safer bet...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 10:28:49 AM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Re: Daeothar does Star Wars - Tusken Raider camp
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2020, 12:30:28 PM »
The tents look the part and the drying frome is great
For SW boxes I am sure Jim Oshiro has some
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?action=profile;u=2619

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2020, 03:40:56 PM »
Cheers :)

I just checked Jim's catalogue, but these specific SW crates are not there.

MicroArt Studios has some very nice ones, but I'd be better off buying my own YT transport and fetching a full cargo hold from that galaxy far, far away... ::)

I've been thinking of making them myself from cubes of wood (or plastic), an engraver and a drill bit. Labour intensive, but not as dear as the nice resin ones above.

Updates will be postponed one day, as I've just been summoned for a game of Bushido. My Temple of Ro Kan's first outing, so that should be fun too... ;)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2020, 03:45:29 PM »
I’ve got some of that style left. Drop me a pm  :)

Village wip looks great  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2020, 04:05:00 PM »
Great work on the village, mate.
Love the drying frame.
 8) 8)

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2020, 08:12:45 AM »
Can't wait to see all that stuff on the table.
It's starting to be a good collection and the board looks amazing.

I'd love to get some star wars gaming done.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2020, 08:32:05 AM »
As always; thank you, gents :)

All in all, I was not able to put in as much work as I had wanted to last night, and the bit I did get done was, well, disappointing.

I used cheap acrylic craft paint for the basecoat of the huts, like all the popular Youtubers seem to do these days, but I mixed in a bit of Vallejo white to get the colour I wanted.

It went on fast and easy, so I was happy with that. And after letting it dry, I applied an armypainter wash, to bring out the details, but that backfired like a badly tuned V8. I had forgotten that the craft paint gets reactivated when water is applied to it, so the wash went on all streaky, and in some places, the brush simply took off the entire basecoat!

The end result is horrible, and also, it turns out the paper I used for the hides that make up the tent was too thin and soft and the wash did not pick out the details like I had envisioned.

So I ended up with three messy piles of bantha pudu, and I am of mind to simply chuck them out and start anew. My idea now is to start with some styrofoam balls cut in half, with ribbing added to the outside, and that covered in the same way by torn pieces of paper soaked in water and glue (but thicker and firmer, to retain the layering detail).

The current failures will at least have served as a valuable learning experience... ::)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 08:34:45 AM by Daeothar »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2020, 09:03:55 AM »
Don't throw them out, could you do some 'wet' drybrushing to make them look more like animal hide?

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2020, 09:41:13 AM »
Yeah; an overspray and retry could work, but that wouldn't help with the lack of texture on the surface (in fact, it would probably worsen it ever so slightly).

I might give them to my daughter to finish though, they could definitely work as a village for her orcs :)

And in the mean time, I could chalk this one up as lessons learned, and try my hands on take two... :D

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2020, 10:07:16 AM »
Get a fine black pen, or a sharp 2b pencil.
Draw around the 'hides' & then apply 'stitches' (small dashes drawn at about
90 degrees to the edge of the hides. The occasional 'X' is also acceptable.
Then pick out a 'hide' or two in a different colour/shade. You can use felt-tips.
Finally  spray a varnish to protect it all. That will also bring out the black in the
pencil marks (if you used pencil that is).

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2020, 10:53:39 AM »
Damn, that's a shame.

Can't help with the texture, but for the streaking: I tend to put some PVA in my basecoat when I work with foam and cheap acrylics.
I never had a problem with streaking or paint reactivating. Normally this is followed by a wash I also make with cheap acrylics and it works a charm.
Another option is, of course, hitting it with some varnish before the wash.

You might also crumple up the paper for some added texture before gluing it on the model.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2020, 11:33:06 AM »
I Like the idea of the stiching apart from that I trying giving them a heavy dry brush before you bin them as they don't look to bad at the moment

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2020, 11:35:49 AM »
For texturing I recommend stippling with a big fluffy brush. Try it with a darker shade to get a texture (plus some shading) and then a lighter shade, to build up highlighting. Those are well rescue-able to my eye.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2020, 01:11:51 PM »
Do what Cubs said and stipple with a big brush.
Add some PVA glue into cheap acrylic as this will help create texture.
I have used this technique plenty of times before and it works.
 ;)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2020, 04:51:42 PM »
I don't think they look that bad. Like others said, I think there are some things you can do to dress it up a bit, but it hardly seems like the kind of failure that screams to be put out of its misery. If you would like to see what some of those look like, come look in my basement lol