Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:27:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: WIP Aventine Early Byzantines- Update Page 2  (Read 5198 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: WIP Aventine Early Byzantines
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2020, 07:35:03 PM »
Those are awesome!

Thanks Mikedemana  :)

A friend of mine has the Aventine Imperial Rome range and I admire them every time he fields them.

All the ranges are of a very high standard. It's very difficult not to start the old wargamers impulsiveness going every time I'm on the Aventine web page! Actually, I'm not sure i have the impulsiveness under control as I now own 280 Aventine Early Byzantine Infantry!  :o

For those interested in learning more about the Byzantine Empire, I highly recommend the John Julius Norwich trilogy. Or for a condensed history, he wrote a single-volume one, too.

The Norwich books are good for a general history but that ois no bad thing as often purely military history can leave the backdrop to events sparse.

For military history i would recommend the John Haldon, The Byzantine Wars (mentioned above), The Justinian Wars, Berlisarius, Narses and the Reconquest of the West, Ross Boss, MontvertThe Armies of Ancient Persia; The Sassanids, Kaveh Farrokh, Tae Warhammer Ancient Battles Supplement, Beyond the Golden Gate, Heinne Baekland, (for a general military history of Byzantium and their enemies from conception to the 11th CE) and Cataphracts and Knights of the Ancient Empires, Erich B Anderson (good for getting to grips with the armours in the wars with the Sassanids)

Keep them coming!

I will do just that..... they did take longer then I estimated largely due to the amazing detail.

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2020, 06:03:42 AM »
Lovely sculpts and some first rate brushwork :-*

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2020, 09:05:30 AM »
Lovely sculpts and some first rate brushwork :-*

Thanks Jeff- very much appreciated  :) I've been loving your 'Celt' project. The 'plaids' are some of the very best that I have seen.

Offline pallard

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2020, 05:07:45 PM »
Well well Sensei!
I love the smouthness of your colors: acrylics or oils ?
Ichiban.
Philippe

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2020, 05:33:43 PM »
crikey, giving Dallimore a run for his money in the velvety-matt finish stakes! Excellent.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2020, 06:32:04 PM »
Well well Sensei!
I love the smouthness of your colors: acrylics or oils ?
Ichiban.
Philippe

Thanks Phillipe, they're all acrylics. Vallajo, Andrea and on occasion Foundry. I've ever tried using oils except for when I was about 8 years old and ruined some old Hinchliffe models   lol

crikey, giving Dallimore a run for his money in the velvety-matt finish stakes! Excellent.

It's lovely of you to say that but I don't think I deserve the comparison :)

Here's a few pics of the second rank and a couple of the back rank officers;

Offline Cyrus1

• Librarian
Re: WIP Aventine Early Byzantines- Update Page 2
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2020, 02:09:13 AM »
Top notch brushwork. I've been collecting and painting Early Byzantines as well, but haven't done much for a while. Looking forward to the release of the Aventine cavalry.

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2020, 04:39:28 AM »
Lovely brushwork mate.

I really want these, but would use them as Númenóreans....for middle earth gaming!

Cheers
Matt

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2020, 08:15:14 AM »
Top notch brushwork. I've been collecting and painting Early Byzantines as well, but haven't done much for a while. Looking forward to the release of the Aventine cavalry.

Thanks for the goodly words :) The Aventine Early Byzantine Cavalry are not far off now. If the scope of research and skill in sculpting with the infantry are anything to go buy we are in for a real treat. This project has been in my minds eye since 2005 when I put together a Justinian army using various parts of the Gripping Beast ranges- the blog post is here if you want to take a gander?-
http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.com/2019/12/ye-olde-pics-of-justinian-byzantines.html

Lovely brushwork mate.

Thanks Matt.

I really want these, but would use them as Númenóreans....for middle earth gaming!

You know what they say, great minds and all that..... watch this space- I bought two of everything ;) :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 08:19:43 AM by Atheling »

Offline pallard

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2020, 03:35:11 PM »
Using these miniatures for Middle Earth is not a bad idea for sure.
Atheling, would you second me to try and convince Aventine Miniatures of the opportunity to complete their already large VIth and VIIth century cover ( Sassanid Persians, Hunic tribes, Avars, Early Byzantines) with Lombards that nobody has produced since Minifigs! Then and maybe, also Saraceni- Yemeni , Blemmyes- Nobades, Early Slavs, and Moors. The Goths and the Franks, while very important, are already available elsewhere. Another unique project would be to have a complete pre-Islam range: joining the Axumites- Ethiopians to the various Arabs ( Jews, Christians and Pagans).
Philippe

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2020, 04:50:22 PM »
Hi Phillipe,

It wouldn't really be fair of me to relay anything that I've been told re: the Aventine Early Byzantine line but if you look under the Aventine Early Byzantine thread below you will find that some hints  ;) :

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=118936.0

Using these miniatures for Middle Earth is not a bad idea for sure.
Atheling, would you second me to try and convince Aventine Miniatures of the opportunity to complete their already large VIth and VIIth century cover ( Sassanid Persians, Hunic tribes, Avars, Early Byzantines) with Lombards that nobody has produced since Minifigs! Then and maybe, also Saraceni- Yemeni , Blemmyes- Nobades, Early Slavs, and Moors. The Goths and the Franks, while very important, are already available elsewhere. Another unique project would be to have a complete pre-Islam range: joining the Axumites- Ethiopians to the various Arabs ( Jews, Christians and Pagans).
Philippe

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2020, 12:12:23 AM »

You are too humble, Darrel.  We've all heard how they call you "Little Kev" down at the club  :).

Your latest work is really terrific.  That yellow cloak is fab.  I remember Jacques Pepin talking about how he interviewed potential chefs and he had them make an omelette for him.  I think for painting miniatures, painting yellow is the omelette test.  But the whole set of figures is terrific!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2020, 08:19:25 AM »
You are too humble, Darrel.  We've all heard how they call you "Little Kev" down at the club  :).

"Little Kev"   lol I wonder what they mean by that  lol

Your latest work is really terrific.  That yellow cloak is fab.  I remember Jacques Pepin talking about how he interviewed potential chefs and he had them make an omelette for him.  I think for painting miniatures, painting yellow is the omelette test.  But the whole set of figures is terrific!

Thanks again for the very kind words. The unit is nearly finished- I've just got to complete the back rank of archers and paint the banner!  o_o

Here's a quick pic of some of the Early Byzzies at approximate scale:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 08:21:32 AM by Atheling »

Offline Rutiguer2701

• Assistant
    • Rafalinux
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2023, 06:37:18 PM »
Quite late, sorry, but they are awesome!
My blog (in Spanish, sorry): http://www.rafalinux.com/impetuoso

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2023, 06:42:37 PM »
Quite late, sorry, but they are awesome!

Thank you.

Here's a link to the pictures of the completed units and the rest of the army on a single thread:
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=126483.0