Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:13:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: gaming with Rick's cafè  (Read 1744 times)

Offline malto cortese

• Scientist
  • Ein genie uberblickt das chaos
gaming with Rick's cafè
« on: July 26, 2020, 06:49:04 PM »
I finally forced myself to go ahead and start building Rick's cafè Americain and I have begun to think about how to use it in possible future games - hence my questions:
1) has anyone used it in a scenario or posted pics of its own model during a game?
2) which rules would you recommend? Rugged adventures? Pulp Alley? Any other ideas?

So far I have come up with some rather complex schemes of my own but I am curious to read about what the hive might have been thinking
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. Groucho Marx

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Re: gaming with Rick's cafè
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 09:48:37 PM »

Although I do not have that particular piece, I have used a Sarissa 2-story building that I painted as a Brewpub in my gang warfare games of Mean Streets. In one game, the local street gang wanted to rough up the manager for protection money. In another, a side mission for one gang was to snag some brews for the evening's party -- not withstanding that the brewpub was in the turf of a rival gang who would try to protect it.

I'm sure you could do similar things for the cafe...  ;)

Mike Demana

Offline Alcide Nikopol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 03:12:32 AM »
I finally forced myself to go ahead and start building Rick's cafè Americain and I have begun to think about how to use it in possible future games - hence my questions:
1) has anyone used it in a scenario or posted pics of its own model during a game?
2) which rules would you recommend? Rugged adventures? Pulp Alley? Any other ideas?

So far I have come up with some rather complex schemes of my own but I am curious to read about what the hive might have been thinking

Sally 4th made a "Cafe Americain" model several years ago that is pretty cool. It is modular and we've used it in a bunch of different scenarios. With regards to rules Pulp Alley is tops in my book. It is one of the smartest and most enjoyable rule sets I've ever played, not to mention unparalleled support and involvement in the pulp gaming community.
A.Nik-

Offline malto cortese

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 09:45:12 AM »
Thank you both, gentlemen. It is always a pleasure to have an exchange of ideas with this group ;)

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 03:17:26 PM »
I’ll add a second recommendation for Pulp Alley.  Loads of fun, easy to learn.  There are a couple of scenarios in the rules that could easily revolve around Rick’s.  Me Persian.ly, I’d be more apt to scratch build a useable model.

Offline malto cortese

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 03:20:11 PM »
I’ll add a second recommendation for Pulp Alley.  Loads of fun, easy to learn.  There are a couple of scenarios in the rules that could easily revolve around Rick’s.  Me Persian.ly, I’d be more apt to scratch build a useable model.

Ok thanks! As for scratch building one, too late! I am halfway through the Sally 4th one..

Offline Jerm

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 04:29:55 PM »
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world... and you want to build/game with that one?

Sorry - felt like it needed to be said. Good luck - I look forward to seeing your results!

Offline malto cortese

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 09:54:20 AM »
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world... and you want to build/game with that one?

Sorry - felt like it needed to be said. Good luck - I look forward to seeing your results!

And when I'll show photos of the game are you going to ask me "play it again, Sam"?

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020, 03:09:01 PM »
If he does it might be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.  ;)

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 12:19:00 AM »
Remember if it does not work out,

You will  always have Paris. ::)
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 12:49:34 AM »
I got to play a Pulp Alley game at a convention set in Casablanca featuring Rick's Cafe. It's a great piece of tabletop terrain. The warehouse and museum were also great.

I've shifted a lot of my gaming over to Pulp Alley. It's a solid easy to teach system that is robust enough to stand up to the typical modifications that show up in house rules or special scenario rules that miniatures players will throw in. The rules author is quite friendly to renaming abilities to give a different game flavor, or to making up new abilities. It's not a tournament style competitive type of game. It's all about the fun of the adventure. It can be played solo, can be played with or without a GM, and can include more or less fantastical elements. It's good for anything from stone age to futuristic sci-fi.

Pulp Alley is good for anything where you care more about the movie or comic book or pulp story aspect, rather than about any technical data. It's not about the difference between a Browning .30 cal MG vs. a German MG-34. It's about the questions of who is the hero, who is the sidekick, who are the lower level characters or gangs or mobs, and what are the characteristics of those individuals or groups. A character may have good skills for fighting or for solving puzzles (gaining the plot points) or avoiding perils.
Sailors have more fun!