Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:01:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689604
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 501
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 10 yrs on Maiwand Day gets new home & Afghan/NWF Flag info  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
10 yrs on Maiwand Day gets new home & Afghan/NWF Flag info
« on: July 28, 2020, 12:27:31 AM »
Greetings,

Today, July 27th 2020, is the 140th Anniversary of the Battle of Maiwand, fought by Anglo-Indian and Afghan forces during the Second Afghan War.  Ten years ago I started my "MaiwandDay" hobby blog to share info on my efforts to build good quality terrain and armies for a tabletop refight of the battle. Today I am introducing a new home for MaiwandDay. I have migrated from Blogger-dot-com to a bespoke site called, appropriately enough, maiwandday.com. All the old posts are there, as are most of the visitor comments. The pages and links are again available on the homepage, as are links for my much humbler CameroneDay blog, the posts from which have also migrated over to this new site. All the technical work was done by my daughter Isabella, while home from college over her 4-month long COVID-19 induced Spring Break. I'm happy to report she took the red-eye back last night and returned to school today.

All the above is not particularly significant for anyone but me, but I just put up the first new post at this new version of my site, which may be of interest to those who game the 19th and early 20th Century Afghan Wars, as well as the ongoing intermittent campaigns on the North-West Frontier. It deals primarily with 19th Century AFGHAN MILITARY FLAGS. In my experience this is a subject on which little information is available to the interested wargamer. Unfortunately I haven't unearthed a hidden encyclopedia or anything close to that.  What I have done is gather together bits and pieces of primary source info, along with some secondary source material on the subject.

I hope it will prove useful to some of you.

Here's the first link to my new site:

https://maiwandday.com/2020/07/27/afghan-military-flags/

…and here's a sample of the visual info -- an illustration by J.N. Karafin titled: "Mullah preaching war against the Russians":

« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 12:55:37 AM by Mad Guru »
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 10 yrs on Maiwand Day gets new home & Afghan/NWF Flag info
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 12:46:37 AM »
Thats a wonderful illustration .Im sorely tempted to have crack at making it even more so since there a casting of a 28mm mule just lying on my desk with no real use in mind.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 08:45:16 AM »
Well, first things first, 'happy' Maiwand Day to you MG. your blog has served as a real inspiration for many a year to me  :)

Thanks for posting, I'm now going to jump over to you blog and digest- funnily enough this info has come at a very timely moment :)

Wow! The new site is excellent!!  :-*

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 02:03:53 PM »
Congratulations Guru, that's very exciting news. Children can be so handy at times, can't they? Best of luck with the new site and the upcoming Big Game!

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 03:10:07 PM »
Great article on the flags.
Most detailed.
Nice to have your daughter at home for awhile.
A thank you, to her, for her service.
Am sure she will be a great officer.
(Some thing I failed to do three different times.
Yes it is a long story.) :(
Thanks for your site, I always learn a lot when I visit.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Anderson Collection

• Mad Scientist
    • The Anderson Collection
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 05:56:39 PM »
New site looks great the Mullah drawing is fantastic .
I tried to post a comment on the site but it said suspected bot not sure if it meant your site or my comment.

Best wishes
Willie

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 02:48:36 AM »
What an amazing piece of research. Highly enjoyable and motivational. I’ve just spent the evening reading the entire article. I can’t wait to create more 2nd Afghan War tribal flags utilizing your posted references. I’m looking forward  to pursuing  the posts on your new blog.
You’ve become the resident expert and “Go To Guy” of all things for the 2nd Afghan War!

Izzy did an outstanding job on your new blog, Urah!

Cheers my friend.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 04:49:16 PM »
Had the day to myself yesterday .
So I managed to get halfway through a 'mad guru.' It's not a straight copy more an interpretation I can find a use for.
Thanks again for posting this topic.

Mark.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020, 04:50:53 PM »
Had the day to myself yesterday .
So I managed to get halfway through a 'mad guru.' It's not a straight copy more an interpretation I can find a use for.
Thanks again for posting this topic.

Mark.

Zoiks! That's excellent! Will the mini be released at all?

I'd love one.

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 09:06:27 AM »
Many thanks for all the positivity, fellow TMPers!

Willie: Very sorry to hear you had trouble leaving a comment.  Earlier today I "approved" publication of the first 2 comments that had gotten through and been "registered," after which they went up with no problem.  I'm hoping that your problem was a momentary glitch in the system, possibly caused by the fact that you were in all likelihood the very first visitor to try to leave a comment.  If you have the time I hope you can try again the next time you stop by.  Hopefully it won't turn out to be a more serious miss-match between the new site and your computer, as I'd be very sad to miss out on future comments from you!

Marine0846: Holy Commissioned Moly, thereby must hang a tale or two -- or three?!?!  If I'm lucky maybe you can fill me in a bit more some day, maybe over a table full of lead.  After all, Oregon isn't that far from California!  Thanks for your thoughtful comment re: my daughter, which I'll pass on to her.

Jeff: Thanks for the kind comments, my friend!  Man am I bummed I won't be seeing you and the rest of the gang gathered around my table two weeks or so from today.  As you've said before, Next Year In Jerusalem!

Darrell: Happy to see you're moving into the Second Afghan War/NWF genre!  I'm excited to see the results of your efforts, which I'm sure will be  impressive.

Tin Shed Gamer: WOW!  You work at warp speed, and what an incredible piece of work!  Can't wait to see the final result, which I'm hoping will be holding a banner in his left hand.  Atheling asked if the mule-riding "Mad Guru" will be available for sale, and I will only say I certainly hope that will be the case, and if/when it is, please put me down for one as well!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 09:10:01 AM by Mad Guru »

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 09:34:43 PM »
Thank you. Again a cracking site which is now bookmarked.

I've popped a couple of pictures on my workbench thread of the ' Mad Mullah' it's virtually finished as it just needs a little tidying up once the parts are separated.

Mark.

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 05:39:53 PM »
Thank you for the new link to your site and thank you again for that fantastic research on afghan flags. I'm just preparing another unit of afghan tribesmen, so that comes in quite handy ...!