Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:38:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Atheling's Early Byzantines- Made the Cover of "Slingshot"- Page 31. 23-04-2023  (Read 63519 times)

Online Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Those pictures give a good impression of how it will look once it games in anger - even more stunning when seen en masse!

We have plans for desert type tiles and the city walls for the Battle of Dara 530AD for a start. My ultimate plan is to work through all the major battles of the 6th Century involving the Byzantines..... with a view to following into the 7th Century too! (Yeah, I know!  lol)

I had a Hinchliffe Byzantine army many many years ago now, and I was intending to collect Sassanids to oppose them. Your army is much nicer than mine was, and I'm very jealous  ;)

Thanks David. I'm always a little lost for words when dealing with compliments but know your kind words are appreciated :)

I hope you get them on a table to fight soon.

As soon as they are, I can assure you, the camera and tripod will be in full effect  :D 8)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
just knock-out  :-*

Online Atheling

• Elder God

Online Atheling

• Elder God
Re: Early Byzantines- Converted Byzantine Command Bases- UPDATEED P-29 23/10/22
« Reply #438 on: October 23, 2022, 09:14:46 AM »
I recently put together some simple (but effective?) conversions to create more varied command bases for my Early Byzantines. Since the days of seeing Barry Hilton's Flodden bases and David Imrie's wonderfully well c0nstructed Late Roman era units back in the early 2000's I have tried to present by bases as small vignettes where possible.

For more information on which packs I used from the Aventine Early Byzantine range, what composition I went for and for many more pictures please hop on over to my Just Add Water blog here:
http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.com/2022/10/converted-early-byzantine-command-bases.html

Command Base 1:
A simple repositioning of the arm was all that was needed to make the advancing Skutatoi/Kontaratoi model into an advancing standard bearer.

The Finished Article:

Command Base 2:
The standard on the right was carefully clipped off, filed down and replaced with part of a wire spear. The Draco was easily glued into place. A straightforward head using one of the spare heads from on of the command packs was then added.

The Finished Article:

Cheers

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
The bloke on the garden wall basng is inspired!  :-* Really love these.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Online Atheling

• Elder God
The bloke on the garden wall basng is inspired!  :-* Really love these.

Thanks mate.

The wall is just one of those hard embossed plastic made for model railway enthusiasts.

Online Atheling

• Elder God
Re: Early Byzantines- WEDGE!!!- UPDATED (Bottom of) Page 30- 04/02/2023
« Reply #441 on: March 04, 2023, 04:05:34 PM »
Wedge!

Found this little pic whilst switching laptops..... thought I'd add it here lest is be lost.....

Offline batu

• Scientist
    • My Stuff:
I love your stuff so much! Any chance you could give us some army pics of your stuff?

Online Atheling

• Elder God
I love your stuff so much! Any chance you could give us some army pics of your stuff?

Thanks Batu.

I did take some "On Parade" snaps a while back but knocked the white balance radically when doing so. I've since cleaned up the pictures as best as I could. They are by far from the best quality but here they are:

Oh, if you want to see the full size large files, just click right on the image, click on "On image in new tab" and Bob's your uncle!

I'll be sure to take more pics of the army in line of battle ASAP. :)

Offline batu

• Scientist
    • My Stuff:
Beautiful! Which miniature brand is your favorite? And what rules are you using normally?

Online Atheling

• Elder God
Beautiful! Which miniature brand is your favorite?

They're all from Keith and Adam at Aventine Miniatures from their Early Byzantine range which allows for armies to be made up from the reign of Justinian (527-565) to that of Heraclius (610–641). The range is so extensive it boggles my mind even now!  o_o

And what rules are you using normally?

OK, the army was originally based for Swordpoint but I'm not sure at the moment. Everything was based so that with a little jiggling of the bases in each unit they would be used to create an army using Impetus, Warhammer Ancient Battles, To the Strongest, Sword and Spear etc. Thus far, the army has grown but still not made it to the tabletop!  :o

Offline batu

• Scientist
    • My Stuff:
Pure Aventine :P Seems like you are set on the rules front! Anyway, amazing army! 

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
Miniature Eye candy at its best.

even if your photos are a bit off, your work is outstandingly good

Online Atheling

• Elder God
Miniature Eye candy at its best.

even if your photos are a bit off, your work is outstandingly good

I'll certainly be taking some higher quality pictures at some point soon.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
'WEDGE'  lol (some uncomfortable flash-backs from that!).

lovely paint-jobs and fantastic to see them en masse.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 05:40:17 PM by Bloggard »