Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:43:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Atheling's Early Byzantines- Made the Cover of "Slingshot"- Page 31. 23-04-2023  (Read 62627 times)

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
Simply magnificent as we’ve come to expect from the Demon painter himself ❤️👌

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
Amazing and motivating! :-*

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
'WEDGE'  lol (some uncomfortable flash-backs from that!).

lovely paint-jobs and fantastic to see them en masse.

Thanks for sharing..... trauma is never easy to share  ;D :D

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
All absolutely gorgeous. I especially like the unit with the blue shields and how you've created that diorama feel of the whole unit bracing for impact. Wonderful. Remembering what you wrote the other day about not enjoying painting skirmishers so much, I couldn't help but notice a big rock had replaced one of the slingers! For your white clothes, would I be right in thinking light grey base + thinned white highlight? It's one of the many colours I'm still struggling with.

'WEDGE'  lol (some uncomfortable flash-backs from that!).

Oooofff  lol
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 10:27:04 AM by Old Hob »

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
at the risk of derailing  :D  we may be talking about different things ... the 'Wedge' I'm referring to was a schoolboy thing involving mass scrums in corridors between lessons ... It was shouted out as a call to arms by some rabble-rousing miscreant or other and then the set-to got underway ...  - sort of pre-mosh pit type thing for boys of a certain age I guess.  o_o

anyhow, back to the beautifully painted miniatures.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 02:51:39 PM by Bloggard »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Amazing and motivating! :-*

Thank you very much Tonhel

Simply magnificent as we’ve come to expect from the Demon painter himself ❤️👌

Hmmmm...... I like that, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy; "Demon painter"  :D

All absolutely gorgeous. I especially like the unit with the blue shields and how you've created that diorama feel of the whole unit bracing for impact. Wonderful. Remembering what you wrote the other day about not enjoying painting skirmishers so much, I couldn't help but notice a big rock had replaced one of the slingers!

For your white clothes, would I be right in thinking light grey base + thinned white highlight? It's one of the many colours I'm still struggling with.

The "recipe" is actually a relatively simple one. Choose a warm grey tone which veers towards a brown or a yellow- you're going for warm because of the next colour in the mix and that is Vallejo model Colour Ivory (you guessed it- it's a warm white :) )

Then it's just a case of adding a wee bit of VMC Ivory into the mix for layers to suit. From memory (which is admittedly a bit ropey these days) I think I used four layers including the final highlight. Talking of which, the final highlight was Vallejo model Colour Off White which was painted only on the absolute extremities and around the Clavii (decorative stripes) and Orbiculi (decorative patches).

Hope that helps? If you have any more questions, please just holler :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 10:46:36 AM by Atheling »

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Love that wedge formation photo!
Of all your beautifully painted armies/models that I've seen online or 'in the flesh' as it were, this army is by far my favourite! I really admire the fact that you are still painting at this staggering level of quality several years after first seeing your work. I only wish that the ability I had back in those days was still with me!
Inspiring stuff!

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
Magnificent brushwork!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Magnificent brushwork!

Thanks mate.

Love that wedge formation photo!

Those Wedges always look the business  :)

Of all your beautifully painted armies/models that I've seen online or 'in the flesh' as it were, this army is by far my favourite!

Thank you so much Andy. Very much appreciated.

I really admire the fact that you are still painting at this staggering level of quality several years after first seeing your work. I only wish that the ability I had back in those days was still with me!
Inspiring stuff!

Thanks again mate. It really means a lot to me to hear this from you as you, of course, are one of my influences too! Same generation of WAB'ers ;)  :D

I still have very fond memories of gawping at your work on the WAB Forum and sneaking in some close up views at WHW weekends, Gripping Beast HQ for Cold Steel and Hot Lead.

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
he "recipe" is actually a relatively simple one. Choose a warm grey tone which veers towards a brown or a yellow- you're going for warm because of the next colour in the mix and that is Vallejo model Colour Ivory (you guessed it- it's a warm white :) )

Then it's just a case of adding a wee bit of VMC Ivory into the mix for layers to suit. From memory (which is admittedly a bit ropey these days) I think I used four layers including the final highlight. Talking of which, the final highlight was Vallejo model Colour Off White which was painted only on the absolute extremities and around the Clavii (decorative stripes) and Orbiculi (decorative patches).

Thanks. Yes, that is massively helpful, especially the 'warm' base coat. That really hadn't occurred. Very much appreciated.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Thanks. Yes, that is massively helpful, especially the 'warm' base coat. That really hadn't occurred. Very much appreciated.

No probs. I'm always happy to talk about painting toy soldiers :)

Offline Totleben

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
  • Mad wallah, resident sebastokrator
Thank you for this thread  :-*

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Thank you for this thread  :-*

Thank you for the kind words Totleben  :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
I made the front cover of Slingshot,the Society of Ancients Journal. Quite an honour in many ways given the breadth of knowledge contained within it's pages for decades.

I think there might be more pictures of my work inside. I'm still waiting for my copy to pop through the letterbox so will keep you informed in the event anyone is interested.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 09:21:52 PM by Atheling »

Offline DalyDR

• Librarian
Congratulations on the cover!  Excellent work, as always.