Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:50:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686591
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Action at Kulomzino Station  (Read 2300 times)

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
Action at Kulomzino Station
« on: August 23, 2020, 09:37:39 AM »
We played a second Back of Beyond battle with my Russian Civil War figures yesterday morning.

The action was fictional and although the uniforms are more 1919, the armies are probably more 1918.  We used Setting the East Ablaze 2.0 rules with the following armies.

Reds

Comrade Pavlov +1 Leader

Red Army Communist Peasant Battalion 10 figs C3 M3 Rifles, Bombs and 1 LMG
Kulomzino Railway Worker Red Guards 10 figs C4 M3 Rifles, Bombs
Moscow Factory Worker Red Guards 10 figs C4 M3 Rifles, Bombs
Tobolsk Food Requisition Detachment 10 figs C4 M4 Rifles, Bombs
Magyar Internationalists 10 figs C3 M3 Rifles Bombs

Tashkent Cavalry Detachment C3 M3 Lances, Rifles, Bombs

Artillery Battery 2 x Field Gun C4 M3
1 HMG C3 M3
1 Austin AC C3 M3

Whites

Colonel Verzhbitsky +1 Leader

Omsk Officer detachment 10 figs C3 M3 Ferocious, Rifles, Bombs, 1 LMG
Irtysh Officer detachment 10 figs C3 M3 Ferocious, Rifles, Bombs, 1 LMG
Kurgan Officer detachment 10 figs C3 M3 Ferocious, Rifles, Bombs, 1 LMG
Ishim  Officer detachment 10 figs C3 M3 Ferocious, Rifles, Bombs, 1 LMG

Orenburg Cossack Detachment 10 figs C2 M3 Lances, Rifles, Bombs

Artillery Battery 2 x Field Gun C3 M3
1 HMG C3 M3
1 Austin AC C3 M3

The Reds occupied the station complex with their railway workers and the ridge-line with the Food detachment, Peasant Battalion and Moscow Workers supported by their artillery and machinegun.  The Magyars, Cavalry and Austin were held in reserve behind the line.

The whites were deployed opposite the ridge and station between two small groups of trees.  Their artillery was hidden in the trees on their right.  The Kurgan and Ishim detachments faced the station with the cossacks and the White Austin in support.  The Irtysh detahcment and MG sheltered behind a small rise giving cover from the Red gun line and the Omsk detahcment formed the left of the White line.

The Whites' main attack went against the Station with the Cossacks and Armoured Car in the vanguard.  Meawhile the remaining White forces pinned the Reds in place on the ridge.   Realising they were weak on the station flank the Reds sent their cavalry and food detachment to assist.

On the left flank the Omsk detachment occupied the small wood and got into a firefight with the Red Austin.  They were eventually forced to retreat but held up the Red Armoured car for the whole game.

The Red artillery blasted away ineffectually throughout the battle, even when under the personal direction of Comrade Pavlov.  By contrasts the Whites hammered the ridgeline positions knocking out the Red MG and forcing the battered remnants of the Red Army Peasant battalion to retire from their redoubts.

The main fight however was on the station flank.  The cossacks dashed forward to the station, dismounting and clashing steel with the Red food detahcment, who had rushed to the aid of their railway worker comrades.  The Red Cavalry likewise dismounted and joined the fight for the station.  The railway workers poured fire from the station master's Dacha in support but were charged by the Ishimsky detachment.  The Kurgan officers charged forward to support the Cossacks in the station.

The food detchment, weakend by machingun fire, were no macth for the cossacks who killed them all, even massacring the last few who tried to surrender.   With the Kurgan detachment in support they then overcame the dismounted red cavalry and ejected them from the station.  The last fleeing reds shot from their horses as they fled for the saftey of the ridge.

Despite breaking the Ishim assault the railway workers morale collapsed as their friends died in front of them and with no way of excape they surrendered.  The cossacks adding to their bloodthirsty reputation from the station once again massacred the prisoners. 

Too late to be of much help Pavlov brought forward his Magyar internationalists but the position seemed lost and the Reds were looking over their shoulders for a line of retreat.

As the victorius Whites push west to liberate more of Siberia from the Bolshevik criminals, the telegraph lines to Moscow are hot with news of the terrible attrocities committed by the Cossacks.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 09:42:00 AM by trev »

Offline Mike Blake

• Scientist
  • Size Does Matter! - 54mm - The One True Scale
Re: Action at Kulomzino Station
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 09:47:43 AM »
EXCELLENT!
Size Does Matter! - 54mm - The One True Scale

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 10:00:24 AM »
Minis and table scenery look great  8)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 01:06:11 PM »
By Georgii that's a good looking game  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 01:36:32 PM »
Loving this Trev  :-*

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 03:38:16 PM »
Impressive!

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 07:45:53 PM »
Love it!  :-* :-* Poor day for the Revolution.
Lon
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2020, 08:53:07 AM »
Thanks all.  :D

A bad day for the revolution indeed Lon but learning is never done without errors and defeat.  ;)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 10:44:09 PM »
A handsome set up indeed.

It puts my long stalled project to shame.
It's never got much further than armoured cars and a Shay Engine, and an armoured train. ::)

Trev
( Out of sheer curiosity )
I see you've not taken the plunge and reshaped the Austins mud guards.
Was it because you felt it unnecessary .Or because you didn't know they could be?
I ask simply because I never see one on a table that's been tweaked as intended.( Other than my own of course.)

Mark

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2020, 12:30:29 AM »
Looks amazing! Well done.
All The Best
Scott Dallimore
Kent-Essex Gaming Society
http://kent-essexgaming.ca/

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2020, 12:45:49 AM »
Wonderful looking game....

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2020, 09:51:19 AM »
Thanks again for the kind comments chaps.

Mark,

I'm intrigued to know what I could/should have done with the mudguards.  Can you explain? 

Love that Austin model by the way.  I hope more are in the pipeline. 

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2020, 01:20:52 PM »
Trev good to see your excellent figures etc in action, thanks for posting!

:)
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com.au

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2020, 04:15:29 PM »
Trev,
Here's a couple of pictures of the original advert model's. They've been tweaked post painting.(Not something I'd suggest unless your feeling Brave.)and post advertising.As it was only fair to advertise them as the model straight out of the box models. Although technically the British version isn't a casting it's actually only 80% a casting. As the Russian version was made first then two were identically remastered.One for the painted advert model and one to be moulded.It was a simple solution to ensure they met the magazines advertising deadline.

The cars are intended to be tweaked and made unique with minimal effort or skill. The mud guards are freed from the body of the model (only enough to create the bend.)Simply by repeated scoring. No cutting or sawing require.
You can drop the windscreen armour with three scored lines and reposition it . Hense the oddly shaped 'figure' of a driver.

As for the actual shaping of the mud guards .A gentle heating with a hairdryer is enough to soften the resin .You can use either the wheel or a penny as a former . Then push or twist into shape.( you can reheat the resin and re position without much drama as long as you don't over heat the resin.It literally takes a couple of seconds to soften the resin.)
The idea is to either have a more authentic looking mud guard or a battered and dinted one with out chopping and gluing.
 As I said these were tweaked after painting so they're a little more subtle than is possible as I didn't want to push my luck with the paint.
So there's a picture of a single turret version which had the mud guard tweak before casting .Just the real thing it started out as full Austin and was converted/rebuilt  into a Single turret.
Bit of a long winded post I know ::)

There are a few more cars to come. I've just the Home Front and Follies ranges to update/ add too, first.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 04:51:07 PM by tin shed gamer »

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2020, 09:59:35 PM »
Thanks for the explanation Mark.  The short answer to your question then is that I didn't know it was supposed to be tweaked.  Funnily enough, I did reshape one of the mudguards a bit as it was too low as cast.  I dipped it in hot water for a few seconds and it bent really easily into the correct position.  Only the Bolo one in the game above is actually mine.  The White Austin is one of two that belong to a one of my club mates and they were painted by another.  They are the vanguard of a Drozdovsky Division based AFSR army.  I have added a few more painted details to it since the game but I haven't messed with the resin.  If I do another of my own I promise to be more adventurous with the mudguards.  A Fiat Omsky or two would go nicely with my Siberian Army as well, if you're taking suggestions. :D