Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:47:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690724
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some Greek mythological and historical figures  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
Some Greek mythological and historical figures
« on: August 31, 2020, 05:58:10 PM »
Had these in the cupboard for years, originally built for a little Frostgrave offshoot in WS&S, which had a Greek hero (first figure shown, obviously, since he wears no helmet and has an expensive cloak) with a variety of soldier types fight against some bandits, or a gorgon and some snakes. In a way, it can be regarded as a precursor to Rangers of Shadow Deep, with a focus on a warrior as the centrepiece rather than some wizardy type as in Frostgrave.

Anywho, decided to finally get some paint on the figures in question. In the meantime, my transfers had aged beyond use, so the shields will be a bit bare for now, until I purchase new ones. Hoplite-armed figures are on 20mm round bases to allow a close formation, the others are 25mm round, and the centaur 25x50.

Figures are Victrix plastics, with the following exceptions:
-Centaur is a Victrix hoplite for the top half, and a GW horse of Rohan for the, well, the horse half. Some putty created an extra two rows of armour to hide the transition.
-Gorgon is a... long story. Some years ago Hasslefree ran a sculpting competition where entries were based on the same armature. Entrants received a cast of various of the other entries, which included this snakey lady. Bit of a rough sculpt and casting due to the amateur nature of the contest of course, but she ended up looking alright in the end. Added a Victrix bow and quiver to fit the wargear in the aforementioned rules.
-One of the hoplites probably has a Warlord Games Macedonian head. Scale's pretty close between these sets, but it still is visibly larger.

Would-be-Perseus

Hoplite friend

Hoplite friend #2

Archer

Slinger - easily my favourite figure in the lot; a very simple sculpt but just a joy to paint up. Made me glad I have a few sprues of hoplites like those above, but a big box of unarmoured ones. Nicely defined muscles (present, but not too much), simple folded cloth and some of the best faces/hair you get on plastic figures.

Centaur

Aaaand, OneDrive decided to stop working along the way. Well, the gorgon as well as a few more angles on the centaur will follow soon...

EDIT: Seems to be working again now, let's see if it continues to do so for all of the last 5 pics...

Gorgon - yes, she had scales sculpted over her breasts, which I reckoned would look strange painted the same colour as the other scales, unless I painted all the skin green, which I also didn't want to do, so, well, here we are. Was mostly interested in just getting her done; might convert up my own at some later date actually, that could be a fun project. Or I'll just get some of Footsore's snazzy mythological creatures. Anyway, this one was free and is perfectly serviceable, so I shouldn't complain! Besides, who would ever dare look in her direction? Risky business that.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 08:18:43 PM by Coenus Scaldingus »
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline swordman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
Re: Some Greek mythological and historical figures
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 06:06:34 PM »
nice work!

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 08:18:28 PM »
Thanks!

First post now updated with all the pictures, OneDrive proved more cooperative after a short wait.

Offline folnjir

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 06:06:38 AM »
very nice work, I hope we shall see more.

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 07:11:55 AM »
Great stuff, I do like the footsore range of mythical creatures, I also have some Eureka miniatures to do also for Mortal gods.

Cheers
Matt