Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:28:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Greek Mythological Equipment  (Read 1067 times)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Greek Mythological Equipment
« on: May 31, 2022, 03:25:25 PM »
Greetings All,

I have recently be working on my Homer's Heroes: Bronze Age Bad Boys rule set, and adding in some of the Mythological side of things.  You will be able to play the game straight historical or adding more fantastical elements to the game.

As part of this effort, I was trying to add some Greek Mythological Equipment to the list.  The only "challenge" really is that the majority of it was an item the gods themselves used.  I suppose that works as they were not adverse to loaning them out; but I was curious if you knew of a good source of non-God owned mythological items for Greeks? 

Thanks in advance. 
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Maniac

• Scientist
Re: Greek Mythological Equipment
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 10:02:20 PM »
Hercules or Odysseus's bow.  Heracles' bow was used while he was still a demi god, and was key to turning back a resurging Trojan tide.  Odysseus's bow was likewise impossible to be strung by anyone but him, and he shot it through 12 axe heads (so extremely powerful and accurate).

Medea created a fire proof unguent that enabled Jason to plow a field with a bull that breathed fire.

Heracles' club and poisoned arrows, Jason's sword to kill the dragon, etc.

Daedalus created flying wings, and there was a ball of twine that lead to the center of the labyrith.

Ajax's spear was said to be bigger, heavier, and more powerful than any living man's spear.  He also had a special shield thicker and more durable than any other man.

There are various suits of armor described in the Illiad.  I cannot remember who it is at the moment, but an Achaean and a Trojan swap armor, and the Achaean survives because of it and the Trojan dies due to the inferior armor.

There are also legendary chariots, Agamemnon's rod of command, and others.

Orpheus' lyre, with which he casts 'magic'.

On time, on target, or the next one's free

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 03:43:03 AM »
A certain wooden horse.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 07:15:16 AM »
A shiny shield for Perseus.
The bow of Philoctetes, needed to capture Troy.
And lead if pronounced with an e vowel is a dense metal with dangerous addictive powers.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2022, 03:50:59 PM »
You could have:
The ægis or aegis, the shield of Zeus
The Argo, the ship of Jason and the Argonauts
The Golden Fleece
The Sword of Damocles
Pandora's Box, a box given to Pandora by the gods.
The staff of Hermes
The cornucopia, the horn of a goat, supposedly filled with fruits, flowers, or grain
The Armour of Achilles, created by Hephaestus and said to be impenetrable
Eros bow and arrows
The Shield of Achilles appears in the Iliad. The shield was so beautiful that amidst battle, enemies would stop in their track to gaze at the decorative shield. The shield was crafted by Hephaestus.
The spear of Artemis that never misses
The Caduceus belongs to Hermes, the Messenger of the gods. According to the myth, the The Caduceus was a gift from Apollo. The staff enables Hermes to deflect magical spells and make monsters sleep.
The Helmet of Darkness/Invisibility
The Golden Apple of Discord
The Hide of the Nemean Lion
The Teeth of the Hydra
The Shield of Achilleus
The Shirt of Nessus
The Spear of Achilleus
The Sword of Peleus
The Adamantine sickle given to Perseus
Winged sandals
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2022, 04:43:52 PM »
When Perseus decapitated Medusa, he gave the head to Athena, who set it in the middle of her shield, to turn enemies to stone [dur ... just found out that's the Aegis shield as Dadlamassu already mentioned].

Would you count Pegasus as 'equipment'?

The skin of the Nemean Lion was impervious to weapons, thus after strangling the lion, Heracles skinned it (using one of its own claws) and wore the skin as armour.

The bow of Eros ... could be interesting.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 04:47:06 PM by Cubs »
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2022, 05:33:09 PM »
Thanks guys!  This was super helpful!

Keep them coming if you can!

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2022, 07:06:51 PM »
Just now looking along my DVD collection I see a boxed set of "Xena - Warrior Princess" that certainly had many story lines borrowed and modified from various mythologies so there may be useful adventure hooks in there (my excuse anyway).  I have dusted the box and intend a "Xena Binge" after the Jubilee weekend!

And I have a suitable Hasslefree figure HFH217 Dynamic Conenne

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2022, 08:00:26 PM »
There are various suits of armor described in the Illiad.  I cannot remember who it is at the moment, but an Achaean and a Trojan swap armor, and the Achaean survives because of it and the Trojan dies due to the inferior armor.

Diomedes (he didn't swap his magical gold armour, but substituted a bronze set instead) and Glaucus.

The girdle of Aphrodite causes people to fall in love with the wearer.

Circe's staff - magic staff basically that turns people into animals.

Labrys (double headed axe) of Hephaestus - used to slice the top of Zeus' head off to free/birth Athena.

Ring of Gyges - standard invisibility ring.

Fruit of the Lotus tree - causes people to become forgetful of their past life, drowsy and contented to stay put.

Water from the river Lethe - as above.

Ambrosia - food of the Gods that bestows longevity or immortality (presumably it depends how much you drink).

Triton's conch - controls the waves. 

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2022, 10:21:07 PM »
Kibisis Magic bag or wallet that Perseus borrowed from the nymphs, during his quest to kill the Gorgon Medusa.

Cestus The magic girdle of Aphrodite that had the power of love inspiration.

Necklace of Harmonia The necklace was made by Hephaestus as a wedding gift to Harmonia, the wife of Cadmus. It was passed down to several generations in the House of Thebes.
The wearer may not be attacked nor may the wearer attack anyone.

Bow of Epirus Powerful bow that does not need arrows.  Instead it shoots magic bolts.

Golden Apples of the Hesperides

The Hesperides are the seven nymphs of the evening and tend the garden in which the golden apples grow. Their names are  Aegle, Erythea, Arethusa, Hestia, Hespera, Hesperusa and Hespereia.  The golden apples were a wedding gift from Hera to Zeus.

Ariadne’s Thread  The enchanted thread that Theseus used ti find his way back in the Labyrinth
It is virtually never ending when used to find a way back.  It also magically rewinds once used.

Blood of Lernean Hydra Used by Herakles to tip his arrows.  It causes unbearable burning pain as it kills.  It will kill a demi-god.