Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:08:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690719
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 898
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some Solo Playtesting  (Read 894 times)

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
Some Solo Playtesting
« on: September 04, 2020, 06:41:21 AM »
I've long been wanting to try some different sets of ancients' rules. I recently got a permanent table set up and decided to try and get my head around Mortem et Gloriam and To the Strongest. I just used the same small armies for both games (Republican Romans v's Italian/Greek allies) to work out the rules. I had more luck with TTS and got a bit confused with MEG.

I did a more detailed write up on my blog at: https://this28mmlife.blogspot.com/2020/09/tts-meg-test-games.html

Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline DCRBrown

• Bookworm
Re: Some Solo Playtesting
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 08:52:05 AM »

Thanks - an interesting look at these rules, perhaps a bit more MEG after some time to digest the rules. :)

Like you, if I'm fielding a Roman army, I'd like to see it actually act like a Roman army, deploying in three lines, etc, rather than a generic, all armies line up in a single row and then advance, type representation.

Looking forward to more.

DB

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 09:18:25 AM »
Interesting comparison.

We’ve like TtS and FKaP a lot. I’ve seen other groups use chits rather than cards and they are a lot smaller and unobtrusive, even more so than the quarter sized playing cards I used for TtS. We have swapped to using d10s for combat rather than cards, partly to speed things up a bit, partly to stop players getting confused between activation cards and combat ones, and partly because people like to roll dice.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 11:03:48 AM »
Interesting reviews thank you.  Nice looking armies too.

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 09:03:43 AM »
Like you, if I'm fielding a Roman army, I'd like to see it actually act like a Roman army, deploying in three lines, etc, rather than a generic, all armies line up in a single row and then advance, type representation.
Yeah, that's an important aspect to me. I played a larger game today with a full consular army and the figures did look very nice on the table deployed correctly. I'll be posting it soon. The maniple swap mechanic in TtS is really easy too and gives the Republican Romans a completely unique feel.

We’ve like TtS and FKaP a lot. I’ve seen other groups use chits rather than cards and they are a lot smaller and unobtrusive, even more so than the quarter sized playing cards I used for TtS. We have swapped to using d10s for combat rather than cards, partly to speed things up a bit, partly to stop players getting confused between activation cards and combat ones, and partly because people like to roll dice.
I can see the use of d10's working well with more players, but the drawing of chits is working well for my solo efforts.

Interesting reviews thank you.  Nice looking armies too.
Thank you.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 12:19:57 PM »
Chaps, before you read any I will admit I am a TTS devotee.  This period is my main "first love" in gaming, but I had never found a set of rules I really liked . DBM had come the closest back in the late '80s....I think! I had built  loads of ancients and medieval armies first for WAB and then Impetus but neither set inspired me,  and then I found TTS.  I didn't like the large playing cards so invested in the various chits and some gridded mats.  What was great was that my Impetus based units were perfect for the 15cm mats sold by BigRedBat.

If can look quite an investment to but these extras but for me it made the game more appealing and at the end of the day they cost about the same as a few packs of metal figures   

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 09:51:42 PM »
Great minis and write up. Mortem et Gloriam sound interesting, never tried this rule set, but To The Strongest are a great set of rules that always seem to give at least a good game.