Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:06:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ronin - First Foray into Wargaming (Now w/ the Undead!)  (Read 16389 times)

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Ronin - First Foray into Wargaming (Now w/ the Undead!)
« Reply #105 on: October 04, 2022, 02:04:18 PM »
We had another foray into the world of Ronin this past Saturday with Charlemagne's wonderful figures and terrain.  Three buntai (Sohei; Bandits; and Oni-led Bakemono) competed to enter a spider-infested village and "rescue" villagers (each for their own purposes: Sohei to free them, Oni to eat them, and Bandits to ransom them) who had been wrapped in silk and cocooned by giant spiders (spiders figure prominently as monsters in Japanese myths).  (The villagers were "played" by appropriately "dressed" hobbits, wrapped like mummies).  Three players each controlled one buntai (yours truly took his usual Bandits), while Charlemagne umpired and controlled the spiders.  The spiders varied in size from a few that were larger than a horse, to dog-sized, to swarms, to unhatched eggs (rolled for to determine if they hatched into swarms).  More potential spiders (rolled for) could issue from a "mine" at one end of the village.  The nimble spiders - who had a poison bite that could render a figure stunned, as well as causing potential damage - were not hindered by the palisade fence that surrounded the village (which hindered the buntai).  The two Oni and their accompanying Bakemono (played by Metternich's Kappa)  at first seemed to be ignored by the spiders (who - via random die roll - seemed to head more towards the Sohei and my Bandits). Eventually the Oni were also attacked by a giant spider (hard to kill; any wound inflicted on them was only a light wound, of which three were needed to kill this horror).  A great game and one enjoyed by all. 

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #106 on: October 04, 2022, 03:51:42 PM »
Sounds like a great game. Hope some one took photos.  ;)
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #107 on: October 04, 2022, 07:14:37 PM »
I'll see if I can convince Metternich to "re-stage" some shots from the game and post them here.

He is currently working on painting some of my "grey" 16th century figures, to be used as a Portuguese buntai.  Actually, as most of them are Eureka Portuguese conquistadors and sailors, arguably they are a Portuguese buntai (with the addition of a Eureka Spanish conquistador priest holding up a crucifix - a handy "banner" figure for Ronin games - and the Warlord Wars of Religion Knights of Hospitaler pack of 4, who make appropriate commanders, nobles, heavily armored knights, what have you). 

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #108 on: October 05, 2022, 05:26:00 AM »
Very cool. Looking forward to seeing them as well.

Offline Charlemagne

• Assistant
« Reply #109 on: October 17, 2022, 11:27:04 PM »
I’ll make sure to get some action shots in as well as some pictures of the new Portuguese! In the meantime I’m curious if anyone happens to have any Ronin scenarios beyond those from the book and the North Star website? I understand that there used to be some on the (now defunct) Ronin forum?

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #110 on: October 22, 2022, 04:35:27 PM »