Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:28:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689737
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Updated 03/10 with new pics - To render or not to render? Building Rome  (Read 2648 times)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Updated 03/10 with new pics - To render or not to render? Building Rome
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2020, 09:34:23 PM »
I do like the effect you've achived.
Here's a couple of Ideas for your musing. I did a tutorial a couple of years back on a quick method for representing Roman roof tiles. (I can't find it but I'm sure someone else could ::) )
I could also added a couple of  pictures of different techniques a spray can texture and Woodchip wallpaper which works better than the photo show's.
It's also worth noting once you get out of Rome andvinto the provinces you'll see more wood on display especially if the wood had been cut with a saw. As this was way more exspense to produce so it was used as a way of displaying wealth Rather than being hiden with a render. Render would be used around such timbers (even its just on the public view side of a building.)
The render on the Romano British church was done with a premade combination grout and tile adhesive.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2020, 01:09:00 PM »
Rendering looks good! Having gone to that effort you owe it to yourself to tile those roofs. Couple of sheets of J&T or Peco tiles should see you right. Given that we mainly view these buildings from above, the positive effect of decent roofing is disproportionate to the effort required.

I had a look at some tiles options after reading this - will probably get some Peco or Empires at War tiles and see what I can do. The cardboard roofs are quite frustrating as they warp a bit when paint is added, particularly on the building I'm working on now, so hopefully the added weight of tiles if I attached them on top would solve that.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2020, 01:11:45 PM »
I do like the effect you've achived.
Here's a couple of Ideas for your musing. I did a tutorial a couple of years back on a quick method for representing Roman roof tiles. (I can't find it but I'm sure someone else could ::) )

Are the tiles in your pictures made by you? I do like those, especially on the building at the top.

I will have to decide how far out from Rome to venture - part of the issue is space as these buildings are certainly not small!

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2020, 02:14:00 PM »
It's a very simple method just requires a little pre time with a pencil and ruler more than anything else.

I did a quick tutorial on the method a while back. If you search 'Roman roof tiles' it should come up. As most tutorial title's I've done normally start 'Tales from the tin shed' I know it's been linked all over the place on other forums since I posted it but I can't for the life of me remember the title.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2020, 04:32:37 PM »
Thanks, I shall have a google!

Next stages for those interested in the rendering process:

Warehouse with render, and then once dried undercoated. I use 4Ground Base render with varying amounts of water added to the brush, and then undercoat in a watered-doud artists' brown ink. I use the ink because it spreads further than paint for what is just to add a dark underlayer, and as you can see on the pictures gives a bunch of different shades which I find break up the lcolour layer which goes on top. Very much going for the grubby look.

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2020, 03:05:59 PM »
Great results already - I really like the variation of brown tones achieved with the ink....shall be following your progress with interest
Figures painted 2020 : 100

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2020, 04:44:31 PM »
It's a very simple method just requires a little pre time with a pencil and ruler more than anything else.

I did a quick tutorial on the method a while back. If you search 'Roman roof tiles' it should come up. As most tutorial title's I've done normally start 'Tales from the tin shed' I know it's been linked all over the place on other forums since I posted it but I can't for the life of me remember the title.

I‘d say this should be the one:
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=108508.0