Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:44:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686589
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Victrix- Republican Roman Legions Question  (Read 3862 times)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Victrix- Republican Roman Legions Question
« on: September 16, 2020, 09:37:07 PM »
Anyone have the 411 on the Victrix Republican Roman Legion box I and II.  I ordered some from a US distributor but have not seen them for several weeks.  They say they are on back order. 

When I go to Victrix's website, sure enough they were also Out-of-Stock.  It looks like the box in chain mail is back available, but not the pectoral armor.  I ordered some of both.

Was this a COVID delay or they were just that popular with all these Roman rule sets coming out recently?  Any idea when they will be back and shipping to the distributors again? 
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
Re: Victrix- Republican Roman Legions Question
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 12:36:01 AM »
Romans are EXTREMELY popular lately with the coming of games like Infamy, Infamy. Now while I think usually Imperial Romans are all the rage, Republicans also becoming more and more popular with games like CLASH out. I believe there is a higher demand for them than there was say a couple years ago, and it is likely Victrix may with cOVID be struggling to keep up with demand.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 02:49:46 AM »
It could get worse: Studio Tomahawk will soon release Saga: Age of Hannibal .

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 02:48:33 PM »
Plus, Osprey will have Wars of the Republic coming out next year as well.

That's why I wanted some Republican Romans, to get ahead of the curve for all these rulesets! I all ready own Clash of Spears.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 04:01:53 PM »
Plus, Osprey will have Wars of the Republic coming out next year as well.

That's why I wanted some Republican Romans, to get ahead of the curve for all these rulesets! I all ready own Clash of Spears.

Republican Romans look so damn good too  8)

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 04:00:19 AM »
Punic wars allows (requires? :D) you to collect so many different types of troops; I've been awfully tempted by them.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 08:40:52 AM »
Punic wars allows (requires? :D) you to collect so many different types of troops; I've been awfully tempted by them.

Absolutely a requisite!  :D ;D

Offline Corso

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 11:10:54 AM »
Very true  :D  8)

I have done a punic army, but there are many more units I wish to add lol

The Victrix kits mentioned are quite popular but I guess the reason for them being out of stock is due to covid. I'm waiting for the Early Imperial Roman cavalry to get back in stock to order some.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 11:33:45 AM »

Indeed.

Not only do you have a very diverse amount of troop types, but the battles are far more balanced. Once you get into the Empire really good opponents are much harder to find.

I too am a big Republican Roman enthusiast and would recommend that period to anyone who wants to do Ancients and Romans specifically.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 06:39:02 PM »
They are back in stock for both boxes again at Victrix.  They are still hit and miss sometimes though.   

I got them ordered, so I hope my US Distributor can get them to me this time!

Offline sgzleada71

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2020, 06:17:35 AM »
I like the Agema Republican Romans a bit better.   The Victrix models are perhaps a tad superior in their molding but very static in their poses.   The  Agema ones seem a little more versatile.  I like having the Agema Triari kneeling  too. 

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2020, 04:12:31 PM »
Drat, the box with the chestplates is still hard to get hold of.  That is the pone I really wanted. 

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2020, 06:37:36 PM »
Due to a mix-up on my part, I got two sets of the Pectoral Armored Romans, when I wanted 1 of Pectoral armor and 1 with Hamata.  The Pectoral armor I was going to use for Hastati, while Hamata was going to be for Principes and Triarri. 

Since I only have Pectoral armor, I am curious what people's thoughts are about building Principes and Triarri from the Pectoral armored models.  Their enhanced status could be show by using the the Corinthian style helmets exclusively, and I have enough Centurion parts to deck out each of the Triarri with fancy helmets.  This is supposed to be an early Triplex Acies/Great Samnite War era Roman army, so it might work with less Hamata..... 

Should I bite the bullet and just order the Hamata (which has been tough for me to get a US Distributor to get to me) or should I make do with what I have and make my second and third liners with the Pectoral armor?  Thoughts?   

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2020, 04:47:45 AM »
This is where you have the opportunity to order 2 sets of the chain mail figures.

Then you’d have to get 4 boxes of the Italian allies. 

Then to have opponents to match your Romans ...

Leading to a second full time job. . .

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2020, 12:12:35 PM »
Due to a mix-up on my part, I got two sets of the Pectoral Armored Romans, when I wanted 1 of Pectoral armor and 1 with Hamata.  The Pectoral armor I was going to use for Hastati, while Hamata was going to be for Principes and Triarri. 

Since I only have Pectoral armor, I am curious what people's thoughts are about building Principes and Triarri from the Pectoral armored models.  Their enhanced status could be show by using the the Corinthian style helmets exclusively, and I have enough Centurion parts to deck out each of the Triarri with fancy helmets.  This is supposed to be an early Triplex Acies/Great Samnite War era Roman army, so it might work with less Hamata..... 

Should I bite the bullet and just order the Hamata (which has been tough for me to get a US Distributor to get to me) or should I make do with what I have and make my second and third liners with the Pectoral armor?  Thoughts?

For what it's worth, I am also doing a Samnite Wars Republican Roman force and my Triarii are a mix of pectoral wearing Victrix Roman and Italian allied models, as I don't feel that mail would have been very widespread at all amongst the Romans in the 4th Century BC. I did buy a couple of mail-wearing sprues off EBAY to enable me to mix some models in and out for slightly later Republican Roman armies... I've even outfitted my very early Triarii (mid - late 4th century BC) with hoplite shields based on some things I've read about the likely timescale for the scutum becoming the exclusive Roman shield, but I'm planning on also painting enough with scutum to give me options for third century BC Roman forces. I'm also using some Victix velites bodies as early hastati to help differentiate them from the Principes, all of whom wear pectoral armour.
So as to what you should do, I guess it all depends on what you feel best represents the look of a Samnite Wars era Roman force...