Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:16:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686597
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 614
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Victrix- Republican Roman Legions Question  (Read 3863 times)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Re: Victrix- Republican Roman Legions Question
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2020, 02:37:41 PM »
For what it's worth, I am also doing a Samnite Wars Republican Roman force and my Triarii are a mix of pectoral wearing Victrix Roman and Italian allied models, as I don't feel that mail would have been very widespread at all amongst the Romans in the 4th Century BC. I did buy a couple of mail-wearing sprues off EBAY to enable me to mix some models in and out for slightly later Republican Roman armies... I've even outfitted my very early Triarii (mid - late 4th century BC) with hoplite shields based on some things I've read about the likely timescale for the scutum becoming the exclusive Roman shield, but I'm planning on also painting enough with scutum to give me options for third century BC Roman forces. I'm also using some Victix velites bodies as early hastati to help differentiate them from the Principes, all of whom wear pectoral armour.
So as to what you should do, I guess it all depends on what you feel best represents the look of a Samnite Wars era Roman force...

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions. 

Good idea about using some Hoplite shields.

Then, they could be used as even "earlier" Romans when Rome may or may not have used a Phalanx formation too.  I am more interested in some of these Conquest of Italy type situations than Later Republic stuff. 
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2020, 06:15:34 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts and opinions. 

Good idea about using some Hoplite shields.

Then, they could be used as even "earlier" Romans when Rome may or may not have used a Phalanx formation too.  I am more interested in some of these Conquest of Italy type situations than Later Republic stuff.

If the conquest of Italy period is of interest, have you seen Ancient Warfare Issue XIV-2? It has some really interesting articles pertaining to the rise of the manipular legion. Well worth a look!

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2021, 04:04:40 PM »
Well, all this belly-aching and I just got a notice from my US Distributor that the Hamata clad guys are in the mail! 

However, I all ready started the Triarri and took your suggestion guitarheroandy.  I used a variety of the command sprue heads, and the replacement right legs with greaves to help armor them up and look veteran.  I also used some old Hoplite bodies with Cuirass that I had from other projects, but gave them Italian style helmets.  I have not glues the shields on, but plan on using left-over Hoplite shields instead of the Italian style Scutum. 

Pictures soon-ish in its own thread...

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2021, 09:25:36 PM »
Well, all this belly-aching and I just got a notice from my US Distributor that the Hamata clad guys are in the mail! 

Pun unintended, of course?  ;)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2021, 09:18:50 PM »
I have two stupid questions! 

1. What color of feathers would be on Roman helmets?  My sources say Black and red.... but not white?  I am assuming they are goose feathers so this confuses me.  I also read a reference to purple. 

2. Since everyone had to get their own gear, how likely is it that they would have matching shields?  I see this is a common painting trope, but it doesn't "feel" right to me since everyone brought their own gear in the early Roman Republic?  Any thoughts of sources on shield colors?