Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:38:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686625
  • Total Topics: 118115
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Best rules for fairly small scale Northern Europena Bronze Age  (Read 2005 times)

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
Re: Best rules for fairly small scale Northern Europena Bronze Age
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2020, 09:59:18 AM »
Dux Britanniuarum is designed for Arthurian stuff, but is very much in the 'heroic warband' ethos. The rules play well and the cards add a lot. If you are bored with Sags it would certainly be worth a try

Online SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2020, 03:42:05 PM »
By the way have you thought about “To Ur is Human”? Although aimed at Mesopotamian warfare there are comments in some write-ups that it may be suitable for Homeric city-state warfare.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2020, 09:24:50 AM »
Hello there,

you have my attention. Nordic Bronze Age is a very nice, but also peculiar period, and IMhO many of the systems a) lack the ritualistic aspect of tribal warfare and b) are completely wrong on the organizational and technological side.

I actually don’t know a good set, but you might want to use GW‘s Lord of the Rings, which has a suitable selection of profiles that can be easily done and doesn’t need formed units. Chariot rules iirc are in the Easterling book (hopefully, but I can’t confirm it, all should be compiled in the Hobbit book).

Another extra is the way heroes work who have resources allowing to give orders and modify dice rolls.

Offline Dr. Kevin Moon III esq.

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2020, 01:49:40 PM »
I've been thinking about using games workshop's age of sigmar as a basis for a bronze age ruleset (don't laugh). At its heart its a fairly solid set of rules with a focus around heroes fighting/supporting units - especially when you strip away the super units, wizards and monsters.

You can model chariots in the way you want (be it battle chariots or fighting platforms) and formations matter (unlike saga/DR) but are much looser than a traditional wargame, which I think is fitting for a period (in N Europe at least) where there isn't a vast amount of evidence for large scale military training.

There are plenty of 'heroic' abilities that can be pinched to add a bit of spice if desired.

Plus the rules are free..

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2020, 02:05:26 PM »
Well when you mentioned "Free Rules" you got my attention, how do I access these to have  agnder?
+
My blog gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Dr. Kevin Moon III esq.

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2020, 07:29:48 PM »
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Warhammer-Age-of-Sigmar-Rules

That's their rule page. The core rules is where to start. I'd pick a "standard" empire soldier type as a good place to start for stats.

This has reinvigorated my enthusiasm for the project now. Who knows we might even be able to give it a whirl if the club ever opens up again!