Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:38:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686644
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Best rules for fairly small scale Northern Europena Bronze Age  (Read 2006 times)

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
Best rules for fairly small scale Northern Europena Bronze Age
« on: October 27, 2020, 04:16:32 PM »
Hi All, lookign for advice, I have a small collection of Perrys North European Bronze age figures, chum Chris and I rebuilt Saga to use with them which worked well but I find the rules a bit stale, lookign for a rule set that will work well with these, probably playing between 50 and 100 figures in total across both sides with a few chariots and room for Heroes to make a difference. Had a few suggestions and I wonder what the recieved wisdom of the forum is. Its a lovely little colelction that has not been out of its boxes for a few years (Until today when I did a little photo shoot)

Appreciate your thoughts folks.
+
My blog gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Best rules for fairly small scale Northern Europena Bronze Age
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 04:36:57 PM »
I like the 'Fist Full of Lead' set of rules & would recommend their 'Big Battles' set 

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 06:12:57 PM »
I’ll second Fistful of Lead, and also recommend Tribal from Mana Press.  Fifty figures may be tough with either set, unless you use FfoL with multi figure bases.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 01:32:03 AM »
Saga does seem like it would be a natural fit there. Although only superficially familiar with Tribal (I've watched a video), I think it tries to model combat that would be appropriate for bronze age Europe; you would just have to figure out how to scale it up while still retaining the heroic nature of the combat.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 08:21:56 AM »
There will be a set of rules that would be perfect for the Northern European Bronze Age being released at some point but I really can't/don't know how much I can say. They are aimed at the mythological, legendary, Arthurian type stuff.

I'll ask the Author and see how much info I can spill  :)

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 10:43:45 AM »
Very mysterious thank you.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Saga we tried, we re-did battle boards and created factions and heroes, but Saga feels very samey to me after a few games its time to move on.Fist full of lead I am not familiar with is it aimed at lower level?

It has occured to me to try Hail Caesar scaled down, it has all te troop types and chariots I think. Maybe add soem heroic stuf in. Food for thought thank you.

Offline Mosstrooper

• Scientist
  • old enough to know better !
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 10:53:01 AM »
Lion Rampant ? or even Dragon Rampant for added mythology ? have used both with success (from Osprey )

Online v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 11:20:49 AM »
There was a WI article with modifications for one of the Osprey Rampant rules

Tribal could work, although I get the feeling it's designed for about half the number of figures you are looking for

I have planned to use the LOTR SBG rules for my vaguely mythic NEBA stuff - the core rules are a nice system, and it works well enough for the 50-100 figure range. There's scope to distinguish Heroes of vary levels, rules for chariots (for one of the evil armies.. Khand?), and simple differentiation between spears/hand weapons/2 handed weapons. There are very few changes through the various iterations of rulebook, so should be cheap enough to grab off eBay despite being a GW system
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 11:24:50 AM »
Very mysterious thank you.

I can't really elaborate on what I've said thus far as I really don't know what I can actually divulge at present. :) I do think it is safe to say that the rules have an emphasis on heroes and mythology but not in an overbalanced manner.

Fun game too  8)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 11:27:03 AM by Atheling »

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 11:57:01 AM »
Thanks guys, v lazy dragon, I have tried Lion Rampant and whilst they worked again I didnt get that warm fuzzy feelign about them. Being able to use Chariots and Heroes of varying levels effectively seems an interesting approach. Th olf Games Workshop Historical rules has a whole section aside for this very conflict, I suppose I should really check that out before dismissing it too.

Hail Ceasar could be easily modified i suppose, scaled down so 10 or so figures is a standrad unit, special rules for two handed axes and long spears already there and varying levels of leader can perhaps wok with the heroes. I amguessing that might feel a bit vanilla but worth trying before I invest in multiple rule sets.

Offline AFC Forever

• Student
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 03:33:35 PM »
Saga age of Aagic is our go to when no other rules fit

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2020, 09:00:44 PM »
I don't know if these are still available, but I have some rules called "Before the Gates of Troy". Basically a large skirmish game set during the Trojan War.  A bit "old school"  but they seem to have all the ingredients you are looking for. 

Offline Clearco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • Clearco Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2020, 09:35:21 PM »
Do you know Tribal, from Mana Press? It could work well for what you are intending

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2020, 09:39:36 PM »
Another vote for Tribal, it captures a ritualistic element of what is being fought for, not just the "battle" element. There is more to the war than just the fight.

From memory Before the Gates of Troy might be worth a look if you can find a copy.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2020, 02:42:30 AM »
It has occured to me to try Hail Caesar scaled down, it has all te troop types and chariots I think. Maybe add soem heroic stuf in. Food for thought thank you.
There is scaled down version of Hail Caesar in Warlord's Dark Ages supplement.