Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:24:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690822
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Airfix 1/72 Coastal Defence Fort - wargaming applications?  (Read 4651 times)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: Airfix 1/72 Coastal Defence Fort - wargaming applications?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2020, 08:50:58 AM »
Oddly enough, as a lad I never had the Coastal Fort. I did have the La Haye Sainte set, in fact I even bought a replacement version many years later. I’m still interested in WW2 but Napoleonics not so much. Still, it is true Airfix have a lot to answer for, as did Britains and to a much lesser extent Timpo.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2020, 10:35:20 AM »
Found this on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airfix-D-DAY-Coastal-Defence-Fort-1-72/174502841562?hash=item28a12e0cda:g:itMAAOSw8WlfoEqo

I had the 'gun emplacement' with the little 'pill box' & search light, a very long time ago...

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2020, 12:36:02 PM »
I blame Airfix for everything that happened to me over the next 40 years lol

Yep, it were Airfix wot dunnit!!!

:-*
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2020, 01:07:30 PM »
My Airfix commandos must have stormed that fort dozens of times in the 70s and early 80s, accompanied by my tuneless humming of the Guns of Navarone or Where Eagles Dare themes (when it was being guarded by HO/OO Gerbirgsjäger on top of a mountain*).

*One Christmas my dad built me a play table in the attic, it had a beach for D-Day games, a river for A Bridge too Far, and a mountain made from papier-mâché over chicken wire for Where Eagles Dare. I have a great dad. Wish he still made terrain for me like when I was a nipper. :)

Wow. Your attic sounds like ‘70’s boys heaven!

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2020, 01:46:36 PM »
Didn't realise I was going to kick off such a nostalgia-fest!  lol
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2020, 01:57:37 PM »
Yep  lol

Seems to me that the world of wargaming is divided between those who blame Airfix and those (younger) who blame GW. The outcome is more or less the same. A life sentence addiction  ::)

Exactly! Although I blame both! As a child in the 80s I was amassing a veritable squadron of 1:72 humbrol-daubed western desert Hawker Hurricanes to combat my younger brother's Me 109s, when one day my dad came home with a box of RTB01 Wombles - 10 for each of us. Happy days...

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2020, 02:36:36 PM »
I'm older, I blame Airfix, & Bob O'Brien for his 'Romans Friends & Foes' series of articles in...Airfix magazine.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2020, 02:38:27 PM »
I managed to combine my WW2 modelling hobby with 40k. When RT came along I was in my mid-teens, and I was introduced to the game by a pal at college. It didn't take me long to convert my lovingly-crafted Tamiya Brummbär (which I had spent hours covering with zimmerit paste made from milliput and had airbrushed too) into a tank for Space Orks.

My old Palitoy Star Wars figures got the same treatment. I made an Ork Dreadnought out of R2D2's body glued to IG88's legs. I was ruthless in my cannibalisation, driven by the power-mad lust to expand my Space Ork Empire!  :)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2020, 03:43:33 PM »
Add me to the list of those who blame Airfix... and Roco, and then Eidai, then Matchbox and Fujimi and Nitto, for the piles of metal and plastic I have today.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2020, 04:31:55 PM »
Yep  lol

Seems to me that the world of wargaming is divided between those who blame Airfix and those (younger) who blame GW. The outcome is more or less the same. A life sentence addiction  ::)

I blame Airfix too. Especially the Waterloo French Infantry and the Plain Wars US cavalry (*child voice; what do you mean they’re not from the same period?)

And I blame GW too... for almost putting me out of the hobby... ;D
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2020, 05:28:17 PM »
I’m definitely in the blame Airfix camp. I recall having big battles with Airfix figures all across my bedroom floor, long before rules and dice where involved. Britains soldiers come into it too.

But looking back at Airfix stuff it does look poor - but they are still churning them out!

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2020, 05:53:18 PM »
I blame Airfix, Matchbox, Humbrol, Revell, GW and the c1/35 "made in Hong Kong" toy soldiers you bought in bags at newsagents with out of scale vehicles.

The older Airfix figures are a mixed bag I've painted and based the 4 packs of soldiers that came in the D-Day set (that I'd picked up in the charity shop for £6) and am happy with results. I've also bought the  British Infantry set released in 2011 to use on the tabletop.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2020, 06:28:11 PM »
I too blam Airfix
We used to have battles in the garden 40 years ago and my Dad is still finding the odd figure when he does the garden
As for the set under discussion I always found the guns far too big and some of the trenches too small

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2020, 06:49:08 PM »
Back in the day Airfix and Matchbox had the edge. The smaller kits could be purchased at the newsagent. Exotic kit, like Nitto, Fujimi and the like involved a trip to a proper model shop or at the very least a well stocked toy shop.

Airfix was just the gateway drug. The newsagent sold copies of Military Modelling and Battle, which alerted you to much harder drugs.

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2020, 09:07:37 AM »
I have used it a few times for commando raids and a FJR raid. It is a ok piece

Cheers
Matt