Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:26:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690601
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 851
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Options for ancient (Persian?) civilians in 28mm?  (Read 995 times)

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
Options for ancient (Persian?) civilians in 28mm?
« on: November 04, 2020, 07:39:13 PM »
Since one can never have too many projects going at once, I've started to look ahead at possibilities for vignettes (or maybe "townspeople" for skirmish games? Hmmm...) involving civilians for my Seleucid/Greco-Bactrian armies.

I know Casting Room Miniatures have one set of Persian civilians, but beyond them, I'm coming up empty. Foundry have their great "Ancient Civilians" range, but all the ones that aren't of a specific ethnicity look mostly Roman to my eyes. Likewise, there are good options for Roman civilians lately because of Gangs of Rome, but even Greeks seem harder to come by. Sure, a chiton and a tunica aren't thaaaat different, but I mean... verisimilitude is part of the fun, right? :D

On a somewhat related note, I recently learned of Dark Fable Miniatures who have an enormous range of Egyptian/Ptolemaic/Fantasy civilians, palace folk, and the like, but it looks like they've ceased taking orders because the owner passed away this year :(
"Nice try, history; better luck next year."

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
Re: Options for ancient (Persian?) civilians in 28mm?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 09:38:13 PM »
Could you disarm and otherwise convert some plastic Persians? Of course, that would cover less than half of the demographics.

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
    • Ancient Hellenistic Battles mostly
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 05:26:01 PM »
https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/ancient-civilians/products/civ010-ancient-townsfolk

https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/ancient-civilians/products/hit005-canaanite-civilians-and-hittite-casualties

https://www.castingroomminiatures.com/collections/persians/products/persian-civilians

Since Bactrian Greek and Seleucids were Macedonian/Greeks lording over native populations you might be able to work the Greek civilians in with the Sumerians and converted Biblical era civilians. But the Greeks lived uptown in the higher end castles not down in the streets. The Casting Room are somewhat chunkier than others.
The slave figures are useful in that Sogdian heads or plastic Persian heads could be swapped or petasos or kausia hat heads.
JJonas

Offline Cyrus the Great

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 01:59:10 AM »
Since one can never have too many projects going at once, I've started to look ahead at possibilities for vignettes (or maybe "townspeople" for skirmish games? Hmmm...) involving civilians for my Seleucid/Greco-Bactrian armies.

I know Casting Room Miniatures have one set of Persian civilians, but beyond them, I'm coming up empty. Foundry have their great "Ancient Civilians" range, but all the ones that aren't of a specific ethnicity look mostly Roman to my eyes. Likewise, there are good options for Roman civilians lately because of Gangs of Rome, but even Greeks seem harder to come by. Sure, a chiton and a tunica aren't thaaaat different, but I mean... verisimilitude is part of the fun, right? :D

On a somewhat related note, I recently learned of Dark Fable Miniatures who have an enormous range of Egyptian/Ptolemaic/Fantasy civilians, palace folk, and the like, but it looks like they've ceased taking orders because the owner passed away this year :(
Dark Fable is available from the new owner Joe Corsaro. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/boxturtlereb/28mm-old-school-pig-orcs-by-the-legendary-kev-adams?ref=discovery_category_newest&fbclid=IwAR3dawqqy1oZLCOJF4UfX03h9DLcR_OR-CR1U4Ptjuox5ZXUcN5F3PO-u7M

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 12:18:01 PM »
Thanks for the link. I had heard his friend was trying to continue the range. I followed through to the Dragon Bait website and even though a lot of the Dark Fable stuff is there, albeit out of stock. Guess I'll have to keep checking back!