Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:34:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686451
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Napoleonic Gothic Horror game coming from Osprey?  (Read 20830 times)

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
Re: Napoleonic Gothic Horror game coming from Osprey?
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2021, 09:11:05 PM »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #91 on: September 18, 2021, 02:03:15 AM »
Looks great! Some surprises in the game mechanics, not necessarily just Rifles of Shadow Deep.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #92 on: September 18, 2021, 02:35:02 AM »
I'll most likely wind up playing this set in the French and Indian War, since I already have so many figures painted up for that already for my Sleepy Hollow games (and a ridiculous amount of as yet unpainted FIW minis too).

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #93 on: September 18, 2021, 06:11:38 AM »
Thanks! I didnt got the time yet to watch it, but I definetly will! Im very interested in the game!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #94 on: September 18, 2021, 06:41:56 AM »
I am curious to see how the changes in combat and activation affects gameplay.

It seems less swingy but may slow down game play. One thing my wife is finding (and liking) with the Frostgrave combat rules is the speed of combat compared to GW’s MESBG rules. There is a certain elegance to opposed die rolls even if it feels swingy.

Splitting the activation of the primary but not secondary player sounds innovative to me. It seems the monsters will get the initiative a lot more than in Joe’s previous games.

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2021, 03:58:23 PM »
It seems less swingy but may slow down game play. One thing my wife is finding (and liking) with the Frostgrave combat rules is the speed of combat compared to GW’s MESBG rules. There is a certain elegance to opposed die rolls even if it feels swingy.

I'm long out of the loop, but wasn't there a smaller-scale (in terms of models on the table) variant of the Middle Earth rules at one point?  Something with figure counts closer to the XGrave games, which would speed things up a bit just by virtue of having less rolling.  Maybe I'm just remembering some old Whie Dwarf scenarios or something, I haven't played since before the Hobbit sets came out.

Splitting the activation of the primary but not secondary player sounds innovative to me. It seems the monsters will get the initiative a lot more than in Joe’s previous games.

I think I've seen that style of split suggested as house rules for Frostgrave, etc in the past, mostly as a balancing factor for winning initiative repeatedly.  This variant seems a bit different though.

The way the monsters slot in is closer to the solo rules (where it's usually leader & his immediate pals, then all the NPCs, then the rest of the player stuff) than we've seen previously, so yeah, they should be harder to play around/ignore.  Makes sense for a game that's more about monster hunting and solving mysteries with clues than loot collection.  The NPC/monster AI sounds like it's been improved as well, which is good.  Even Stargrave still has some flaws in its programs, like not allowing for jammed weapons or taking cover after an NPC has shot.

Tentatively pretty excited to see this.  Wonder if we'll see fan ports to other settings - Dracula's America/Deadlands for the American West, Weird WW1/WW2/Viet Nam ala the Pinnacle Savage Worlds settings, maybe a Cold War era black ops game set in a supernatural Europe or something.  Maybe too soon for real moderns.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2021, 06:06:16 PM »
I think you mean Battle Companies. That is what my wife and I have focused on to get up to speed to eventually play full battles in MESBG. All of my battle reports so far have been Battle Companies Games. The model count is similar to Frostgrave but the combat feels slower to us.

Just as some folks have already made Weird War 2 versions of Rangers of Shadow Deep I am sure there will be Silver Bayonet based games in other house ruled settings rather quickly. Wild West in particular since there is already a pretty active community for that.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #97 on: October 22, 2021, 04:30:41 AM »
A nice preview with comments about some of the core game mechanics…

https://www.beastsofwar.com/featured/the-silver-bayonet-napoleonic-gothic-horror-first-impressions/

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #98 on: October 27, 2021, 03:57:47 PM »
I pre-ordered this game with the 3 sets of miniatures from North Star Military Figures back on October 13th. When will North Star Military Figures be shipping this book and figure sets out? I know that Osprey is releasing it on November 11th, but I was wondering if North Star Military Figures will be releasing it on November 11th with the figures sets as well or will they begin shipping it a few days earlier or later?

I have backed another kickstarter that has a lot of demons, hobgoblins, werewolves, etc. which I think will be perfect for this game but they have opened their pledge manager up and I would like to know how many different figures and the number of figures required by Silver Bayonet so that I can up my order.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Matakakea

• Scientist
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2021, 02:31:57 PM »
I pre-ordered this game with the 3 sets of miniatures from North Star Military Figures back on October 13th. When will North Star Military Figures be shipping this book and figure sets out? I know that Osprey is releasing it on November 11th, but I was wondering if North Star Military Figures will be releasing it on November 11th with the figures sets as well or will they begin shipping it a few days earlier or later?

Hitman. The latest (this morning) from Northstar is they will start mailing out on the 11th. It may take a couple of days to clear everything as apparently this has been a very popular offer  :D  They are generally pretty good at getting their pre-orders out quickly.
I'm not a mercenary. Killing's more of a hobby for me.

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2021, 01:44:51 PM »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2021, 03:09:38 PM »
That was helpful to watch. It helped increase my excitement. But I suspect Mrs. GG is not going to be too happy with the focus on competitive rather than cooperative play.

I am thinking we may mix it with Rangers of Shadow Deep.

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2021, 05:35:36 PM »
definitely persuaded me to give it a go

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2021, 03:52:26 AM »
Thanks Matakakea for your reply. I just saw that as well. I just wish I knew the number of creatures needed in the scenarios so I can adjust my kickstarter backer pledge.
Regards
Hitman
😎

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2021, 04:26:41 AM »
But I suspect Mrs. GG is not going to be too happy with the focus on competitive rather than cooperative play.

Hmm, there are solo scenarios; so expanding those to multi-player co-op should be feasible.