Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:43:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm... Road to Normandy... with a 20mm detour - 08/03/24 - 20mm Stug IV update  (Read 21428 times)

Offline Seb

• Librarian
    • Seb Games
Re: 15mm... Road to Normandy... with a 20mm detour
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2023, 01:28:26 PM »
Good looking cannon fodder. But you’re gonna need John Wayne not just more Shermans! lol

I will stick to Shermans, it's hard to find a good 20mm John Wayne minis :)

Offline Seb

• Librarian
    • Seb Games
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2023, 10:57:57 AM »
More from the painting desk. The BAR team is now ready, plus a few extra minis to be used as commanders.

I have managed to remove the frosting effect on the minis caused by matt varnish :D. Huzzah! That should save me a bit of time, as I have a batch of minis that have suffered from it.

Cheers,
Seb

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2023, 05:32:01 PM »
(Whilst I can’t see the picture for some reason) I’m interested to know what method you used to rescue your frosty figures?

Thanks
Balm
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline Seb

• Librarian
    • Seb Games
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2023, 11:40:42 AM »
How about now? Maybe the problem is with my hosting.

About the frosty minis - I applied a thin layer of MP Miniature Paints Matt Varnish. I'm sure any other matt varnish will do the same. I will try to take some extra pics later this week, as I hope to paint more of the GIs.

Cheers,
Seb

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2023, 04:37:37 PM »
Excellent Yanks!

Offline frank xerox

• Scientist
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2023, 11:40:38 PM »
Looking good!

Offline Seb

• Librarian
    • Seb Games

Offline Seb

• Librarian
    • Seb Games
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2023, 11:50:26 AM »
//hi guys,

Another batch of US GIs is on its way, and as promised, I took some pics of the frost removal process.

Here are poor lads with a very severe frosting effect.

The next step is to apply mat varnish. I do this by brush as it helps to control the process and reach some odd places. It's worth doing it in a few attempts to avoid thick layers.

And here is the finished outcome. Ain't a bad result.

Time to put some licks of paint here and there, and those lads will be ready to storm Normandy's beaches  8)

Cheers,
Seb

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2023, 10:47:35 AM »
Brilliant sir! You’ve done a great job on those yanks, the uniform colour choice is really good. I’m very impressed with your “frosting removal” method, certainly the best remedy I’ve seen so far.

Thank you for posting, looking forward to seeing what you do next (for me WW2 gaming has become more of a happy amble in a rough direction than following a clear path - the opposite of “as a crow flies”; maybe more like “as the spaniel runs” - to my objective. I am however enjoying the journey).

Keep up the good work,
Balm

Offline Seb

• Librarian
    • Seb Games
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2023, 01:18:57 PM »
Brilliant sir! You’ve done a great job on those yanks, the uniform colour choice is really good. I’m very impressed with your “frosting removal” method, certainly the best remedy I’ve seen so far.

Thanks!

Yes, it's maybe not the perfect solution, but it is a solution that works :D

Thank you for posting, looking forward to seeing what you do next (for me WW2 gaming has become more of a happy amble in a rough direction than following a clear path - the opposite of “as a crow flies”; maybe more like “as the spaniel runs” - to my objective. I am however enjoying the journey).

I just got a general direction, well, sort of. I recently decided just to paint what I have and not to bother too much. The US is getting a bit more focus because of the planned game later this year. Other than that, I'm just bouncing from one scale and topic to another lol

Cheers,
Seb

Offline frank xerox

• Scientist
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2023, 10:16:52 AM »
Those are looking bloody good!

Offline Seb

• Librarian
    • Seb Games
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2023, 09:40:54 AM »
Thanks, Frank!

A bit of progress, mostly on my loose collection of tanks.

The Panzer III needs a layer of matt varnish, and after that, tracks need to be finished, and it is ready to rumble the eastern front.

Panther is now awaiting some washes, I'm planning to use it for the Italian campaign, and some of them were painted only in one colour (and that's the version I will stick to). Yes, it should have Zimmerit on it, but... let's just keep things simple.

The latest addition is the t-34, which still needs some work on it. And the poor Sherman had an unhappy incident with over-diluted paint... that left some odd stains on the frontal glacis so that it will need some repairing.

Cheers,
Seb

Offline Seb

• Librarian
    • Seb Games
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2023, 12:05:03 PM »
Guess what? More progress! lol
It's not surprising, as they literally need just some final touches.

So, the Panzer III is ready. In the meantime, I dig up my Tiger. Da Tiger was a bit of a nightmare as I needed to repaint the flat surfaces after wash, so I gave up and decided that it was enough. Decals are a bit of my creative license and are not 100% accurate, but they should follow the general numbering of the 2nd company of the s.Pz.Abt.504 in Sicyli.
Maybe not the best paint job ever, but it counts forward to the "finished" column.

Sherman is now nice and shiny and needs only tidying on the wash and some work on the tracks. After that, a layer of mat varnish and it will be ready to roll! And as some curse, this set also had a bit of a problem with decals. According to the manufacturer, the decals included should include markings for the 2nd Armour Division in Sicily in 1943. And that was the reason why I chose the set, but it looks like there was some mistake, and I received different decals...

That leads me to the point when I should start painting those US GIs if I wish to have them done for a game this summer.

Cheers,
Seb

Offline Seb

• Librarian
    • Seb Games
« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2023, 12:18:08 PM »
Looks like this topic is changed into some tanks exclusive topic :D
But I promise that the next update will include some infantry.

In the meantime, here is the latest finished model, an old 1/72nd Esci/Ertl Pz.Kpfw. V Panther Ausf. A.

Till next time!

Cheers,
Seb

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2023, 02:14:18 AM »
Good armor.