Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:43:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686502
  • Total Topics: 118105
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ifni War project  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Yuber Okami

• Scientist
    • Huestes de Arcana - The blog!
Ifni War project
« on: December 30, 2020, 01:29:59 PM »
Also known as "the forgotten war", it was a campaign with raged from 1957 to 1958 in Ifni (then a Spanish colony, nowadays a part of Morocco). This conflict is interesting in that it pitted the archaic equipment of the Spanish Army (some units had weapons manufactured prior to the Spanish Civil War, and even the uniforms looked outdated!) against the "National Liberation Army", a hodge-podge of tribal fighters and veteran goumiers who had fought for France during WW2.

After much thought I opted for a 1/72 scale approach (they have the closest miniatures to what I needed). So far I have managed to finish some miniatures and scenery.

Raw material

Forest terrain?

It's happening!

I swear I'll finish this fighter some day!!! (it's just a piece of scenography).

My main issues so far are:
- Rules! I'm looking for fast play (and if possible solo) rules at skirmish level. So far nothing really convinces me
- The trucks: the Spanish army used mainly the Ford Kölhn (Ford Cologne in Spain). I have only been able to find a model in 1:87, too small for my needs. Any idea on  anything looking close to it?

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Ifni War project
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 03:01:27 PM »
That Ford FK looks reasonably close in size and proportion to the various Ford 3000 types built during the war for the Wehrmacht. If you're not too picky regarding the style, you might opt for one of the various barrel-nose kits available:

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?q=Ford+v3000

Edit: sorry, the full url has too many angle brackets in it to work in bbcode. Use the link and set the scale filter to 1:72. The IBG kits are quite nice if a bit fiddly, others may be a bit more work as they are more short-run in quality.

That said, the cab, bonnet and front are quite distinctive and would set it apart quite nicely. You could take one of the above or maybe a 4x4 variant of the Opel Blitz for the chassis, then scratchbuild and mould a replacement cab or maybe 3d-print it.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 03:05:22 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 01:37:00 PM »
very cool project.

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 02:16:19 PM »
Indeed! Talk about obscure!   :o

Looking forwards to updates.  :)

Offline Yuber Okami

• Scientist
    • Huestes de Arcana - The blog!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2022, 06:23:50 AM »
Hi again!
This project is still going on despise the fact I lost two muscles on my right forearm and now my painting/writing/living speed goes at turtle pace.

This is the lot i finished last summer:

I also managed to finish some more "moroccans" (they are arab revolt arabs, but as there are no pics or drawings of the actual istiqlal fighters...) during the last few months:

And yes, quality has lowered a lot since my "problem" appeared.

I have a lot of minairon's tiradores stored here, but the fact that I'll need to swap heads is holding me. That and my lack of a ruleset to play. Thought about 5150 or similar but i need something faster and less clunky.

That Ford FK looks reasonably close in size and proportion to the various Ford 3000 types built during the war for the Wehrmacht. If you're not too picky regarding the style, you might opt for one of the various barrel-nose kits available:

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?q=Ford+v3000

Edit: sorry, the full url has too many angle brackets in it to work in bbcode. Use the link and set the scale filter to 1:72. The IBG kits are quite nice if a bit fiddly, others may be a bit more work as they are more short-run in quality.

That said, the cab, bonnet and front are quite distinctive and would set it apart quite nicely. You could take one of the above or maybe a 4x4 variant of the Opel Blitz for the chassis, then scratchbuild and mould a replacement cab or maybe 3d-print it.

Nice! I'll probably just throw the lorry as-is. In the end most of my miniatures are proxies (e.g.: the legionarios' trousers should be straight, but i got too lazy to convert them. God, just painting them was a nightmare!).

BTW, I just got a statement from a spanish war veteran that the irregular istiqlal troops were followed by moroccan regular troops. Anyone knows how their uniform looked like?