Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:47:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686487
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: NWF - knock knock at the door - An Afghan Project  (Read 6845 times)

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
NWF - knock knock at the door - An Afghan Project
« on: January 12, 2021, 11:00:20 AM »
Newcomer into the NWF period, i start the afghan project with the big work with the creation of an element of terrain like a colonial fort.
It will be used for the periods from antiquity to the colonial era.
The fort is builted to be place on the edge of the table so i need only the door and the front walls.

This scratchbuild is a reminder of a game I created a long time ago after reading an article in an old Wargame magazine in the 90s) May be Pratical wargamer, Wargame Illustrated, Miniatures wargame or Colonial Conquest, i don't remember.

The game is called "Knock-knock at the door!" and is about the attack of a colonial fort by Afghans. The players were all on the Afghan side and competed with each other to be the first to approach the porch of the fort's gate to place their homemade bomb/TNT (depending on the time) and detonate it.
The game master managed the British (without need of figurines) troops placed on the ramparts with the aim to prevent the warriors from accomplishing their mission by heavy fire .

Here is the first pictures of the project.

the side view :

the front door :

the Front view

hope you like it

cheers
ERic
Frenchy Eric, aka Ch'ti Eric or Re-Animator
"J'ai bon caractere mais j'ai le glaive vengeur et le bras seculier"

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr[

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: NWF - knock knock at the door - An Afghan Project
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 12:02:00 PM »
Looking good Eric.  8)

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 08:44:57 AM »
Looking good Eric.  8)

thank you Atheling !

i add 3d wall paper for the walkway on the walls and the tower

then the textured walls with tinted tile glue :

and the courtyard with a Studio Miniature Afghan for comparison scale :

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 09:25:57 AM »
Nice work.

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 09:44:54 AM »
Looking good!  Especially like the look of your merlons.  I think they have an "Indian/Islamic" feel... but could also work in other settings.  Versatile and useful!
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 02:22:39 PM »
Newcomer into the NWF period, i start the afghan project with the big work with the creation of an element of terrain like a colonial fort.
It will be used for the periods from antiquity to the colonial era.
The fort is builted to be place on the edge of the table so i need only the door and the front walls.

This scratchbuild is a reminder of a game I created a long time ago after reading an article in an old Wargame magazine in the 90s) May be Pratical wargamer, Wargame Illustrated, Miniatures wargame or Colonial Conquest, i don't remember.

The game is called "Knock-knock at the door!" and is about the attack of a colonial fort by Afghans. The players were all on the Afghan side and competed with each other to be the first to approach the porch of the fort's gate to place their homemade bomb/TNT (depending on the time) and detonate it.
The game master managed the British (without need of figurines) troops placed on the ramparts with the aim to prevent the warriors from accomplishing their mission by heavy fire .

Here is the first pictures of the project.

the side view :

the front door :

the Front view

hope you like it

cheers
ERic

hello...absolument magnifique!....it's a long time that im toying with the idea of scratchbuilding  a half walls section's only of a muslim type fort for use in NWF/Morocco ecc...i'll follow your project ..just some questions..did you use a pattern to achieve the typical aspect of those  eastern/arab castle crenelations?..what did you use to cover the walls some putty? some mixture of sand ecc...?...the possibility to make the structure with left over cardboax is great if you can then strenghten it....by the way the article you mentioned..which i should own and of which i can send you a scan was probably a one about a convention game in which each participant was a British Engineer/commander trying to carry explosive up to the castle gate manned by NWF tribesmen...a nice line drawing also published and maybe taken from a D. Featherstone book accompanied the article...the title was something like "5 minutes with EDNA"..a simple and innovative  game systhem was provided...some friends of my former game club set it up this very scenario with great success at a wargame convention here in Rome by, if i rember well, setting the game in Italian Somalia or Lybia...i'm very interested in corresponding with you on the development of this very project..in the meanwhile i'll have a look among my files to see if i could find the article
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 02:25:37 PM by italwars »

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 04:27:44 PM »
Looking good!  Especially like the look of your merlons.  I think they have an "Indian/Islamic" feel... but could also work in other settings.  Versatile and useful!

thank you Mad Guru.
I just keep it simple, fast and furiously Fun !

hello...absolument magnifique!....it's a long time that im toying with the idea of scratchbuilding  a half walls section's only of a muslim type fort for use in NWF/Morocco ecc...i'll follow your project ..just some questions..did you use a pattern to achieve the typical aspect of those  eastern/arab castle crenelations?..what did you use to cover the walls some putty? some mixture of sand ecc...?...the possibility to make the structure with left over cardboax is great if you can then strenghten it....by the way the article you mentioned..which i should own and of which i can send you a scan was probably a one about a convention game in which each participant was a British Engineer/commander trying to carry explosive up to the castle gate manned by NWF tribesmen...a nice line drawing also published and maybe taken from a D. Featherstone book accompanied the article...the title was something like "5 minutes with EDNA"..a simple and innovative  game systhem was provided...some friends of my former game club set it up this very scenario with great success at a wargame convention here in Rome by, if i rember well, setting the game in Italian Somalia or Lybia...i'm very interested in corresponding with you on the development of this very project..in the meanwhile i'll have a look among my files to see if i could find the article

Thank you italwars,
I know the EDNA system but i can't remember if this is the article i read at the time.
for those who don't know the EDNA, here is a link

* the upper part of the wall is made of foam cardboard and the merlons are drawn with a ruler and a pencil. It's long and boring but the result is worth it. It's also a little irregular when cutting but it doesn't bother me   o_o

* the covering of walls is made with tinted tile glue mixed with some decorative sand to give a rough appearance.

cheers
Eric

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 03:04:05 PM »
Looks the part. I hope you post an AAR and more pics.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 05:09:01 PM »
That is a good looking fort!

I am intrigued by your use of what looks like brown parcel tape on the model, I’ve never thought of using this for modelling. I would expect the surface of it to be so smooth than anything add on top would just slide off, but you seem to have been able to add the texture layer without any problem?

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 07:22:04 PM »
That is a good looking fort!

I am intrigued by your use of what looks like brown parcel tape on the model, I’ve never thought of using this for modelling. I would expect the surface of it to be so smooth than anything add on top would just slide off, but you seem to have been able to add the texture layer without any problem?

you are right fred, it's brown parcel tape.
I used it to fix the carboard package but it s not a good idea.
Just like you say, it smooth and the tile glue had difficulty covering. So I had to put some back in some places after drying.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 08:36:03 AM »
Thanks - so works structurally but not from putting more layers on!

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 10:20:18 AM »
Thanks - so works structurally but not from putting more layers on!

Exact Fred but it depends on the type of glue or coating used.
Tile adhesive has a stronger adhesion than plaster/coating so it works .
When dry, just check the walls and put a 2nd layer where needed.
Or use an adhesive paper like  a paint masking tape. It's  based on paper so less smooth.
Forget to say but for this building i should have used my glue-varnish technic with paper handkerchief before texture a brown tape area.
That makes the job because it gives  a rough coat to the walls.

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 12:36:13 PM »
More details in my blog

Coming soon, the Afghan engineers ...

One warrior with is powder keg and a sniper (Perry's plastic ones)

hope you like it

Eric

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2021, 12:42:00 PM »
Brilliant idea!  8)

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2021, 01:09:31 PM »
Brilliant idea!  8)

thank you but i have forgotten  something :
The engineer has a Wargame Atlantic Pict 's body and a trouser made with glue.