Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:29:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686613
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 762
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Witcher Rampant  (Read 5459 times)

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
Re: Witcher Rampant
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2021, 09:55:56 PM »
These look _great_.

Question... I see a lot of people using the "___ Rampant" rules for gaming in lots of settings. I've not really looked into it. Am I missing out? What does it do well that separates it from like Oathmark or Warlords of Erehwon? There must be something...people keep using it.

The main thing is that it works great as an expansion from the Lion Rampant rules (which came first) to move from historical to fantasy in Dragon Rampant.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2021, 05:43:13 PM »
That is very nice painting and conversion on that figure. I look forward to seeing those others painted

Question... I see a lot of people using the "___ Rampant" rules for gaming in lots of settings. I've not really looked into it. Am I missing out? What does it do well that separates it from like Oathmark or Warlords of Erehwon? There must be something...people keep using it.

A very good question, also what is the figure count etc?

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2021, 06:38:37 PM »
I think part of the appeal of Dragon Rampant is that it was designed from the outset as a “toolbox” system that allows quite a bit of room for fitting figures to unit profiles. It is even flexible about unit numbers - units have either 6 or 12 strength points, but what that means in figure numbers is determined by the players. Could be 1 figure per strength point (which makes decent looking units on the tabletop and means no bookkeeping is needed), or units could have few (or even a single figure) with multiple strength points each.

One difference compared to Oathmark is that Dragon Rampant does not require that figures be formed up in ranks, and flanks usually don’t matter for combat resolution. DR is a skirmish, so turning to face enemies is assumed to happen. DR does require that all figures in a unit stay within 3” of one figure (usually the guy closest to the centre).

Another difference, which rubs many players the wrong way (including me) is that the player’s turn ends when an activation roll is failed (the player turn is to activate one unit at a time, until a failure happens or all units have activated). The unit profiles have different activation target numbers for each type of activity, so a player can play the odds a bit by activating units with better odds first, but it is still quite “swingy”. A run of bad luck can make a game a disaster, through no fault of the player. In later games based on the core system, the activation system is a bit less draconian.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 06:40:11 PM by Pattus Magnus »

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2021, 06:51:43 PM »
Heh. I’m a 30+ year Blood Bowl player so turn loss on failures is baked into my gaming DNA at this point.

Offline Astor

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2021, 04:45:59 PM »
Thanks all!  :D

He looks excellent! I am interested in your comment about armour that is not simply dry brushed. What is the recipe you are using?

For the painted figure there it was:

Vallejo Model Colour Gunmetal Grey, followed by a Nuln Oil wash, Edge Highlight with Army Painter Gunmetal, and then a very light highlight on some edges with Army Painter Plate Metal.

The Knights (which are still WIP as far as painting) are a bit lighter - a base of AP Gunmetal followed by a highlight of Plate Metal.

And yes, I figured Dragon Rampant would be kinder in terms of the initial figure count, although depending on how far I get, I've got some movement trays ready for an Oathmark sized force.  :)

Offline Iain R

• Mad Scientist
  • High on life... and thinners. Mainly thinners.
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2021, 04:28:19 PM »
Really, really nice! Love your work in progress and can't wait to watch this taking shape.

I may or may not be working on something similar at the moment... (purely to scratch a painting itch, no gaming forces will ever come of it...) ;) ;)
Proudly not painting Wars of The Roses since... ever

Offline Ciliatus

• Student
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2022, 09:36:37 PM »
Wow... I just found out this thread exist, so I had to bring it up once more.

I LOVE this project and hope you are still working on it. Sadly your last post here is a while back.
As a massive witcher fan myself, I would love to see and read more about this amazing project  :)

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2022, 10:12:11 PM »
cool idea for a project

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2022, 01:42:12 AM »
Great start! Looking forward to more  :)