Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:17:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690806
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Greek Characters/Generals  (Read 2628 times)

Offline Tordenkuglen

• Bookworm
  • Tordenkuglen aka Thunderball
Greek Characters/Generals
« on: February 04, 2021, 09:00:10 AM »
Hi allmighty gaming brain

Can you please guide me in the right direction, Im looking for some nice 28mm figures of Greek Characters / Generals.
But they must be bought in the EU, and not UK.

I love the Immortal gods figures from Footsore, allthou I couldnt find a Character on horse, only foot ones, need both mounted and on foot. and footsore is in the UK sigh, its just to give a hint on what I like, they are needed for my Greek Saga Warband.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 08:38:51 AM by Tordenkuglen »
Playing or wanting to play: FoW, Swordpoint, Saga, Donny Brook, Sharp Practice, Soldiers of God, Trafalgar, Check your Six, Hail Caesar, Pike n Shotte, Black Powder and much more. main interests in wargaming periods is between Iron and Black Powder.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
Re: Greek Characters/Generals
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 11:54:56 AM »
If you don't mind me asking, have the postage costs from UK become a game changer since Brexit?

???
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 12:26:04 PM »
If you don't mind me asking, have the postage costs from UK become a game changer since Brexit?

???

It's not the postage cost. But since the Brexit i.e here in Belgium we have to pay 21% btw (Belgium VAT) on orders from the UK and for orders above 150 euro there is again extra tax.. .

Some UK webstores like Victrix and El Greco miniaturesrecently removed the VAT at checkout. Warlord has another solution. But Footsore currently don't. I asked about it, but i received no answer.

So when ordering from Footsore you pay 21% more than before.

@Tordenkuglen, maybe you can email Footsore as I did?

EDIT: To answer your question. For fantastic 28 mm Greek Generals we have our very own Captain Harlock who is based in Greece. If you haven't seen it, check this out.
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=128151.0
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 12:38:49 PM by Tonhel »

Offline Tordenkuglen

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 01:23:09 PM »
Hi again everyone, thank you for the quick reaction.

@Harry, yes ALOT, we pay an extra 25%Vat, a Handling fee of about 21Euro, and then an 70% taxation, all in all, the product now costs about double of what it says on the webpage.

A friend of mine recently bought some lasercut houses, paid around aproximately 100 Euro for the buildings, then a week after receiving the package, and thrilledly wrote on our forum he got it for normal prices, but then a week later received a tax note of aproximately  101 Euro from danish customs.
Looking forward to see what happens as another club member ordered from Warlordgames a few days ago, (surely hope he isnt gonna pay extra for it)

@Tonhel: Maybe I should try that yes, and thankyou.

I found stronghold-terrain.de today (with help from another gamer) they have the Stronghold minies so ordered a few of Mortal Gods minies, but still need a Lord Character or two on horse back :D

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 10:09:43 AM »
Thanks for that, bit of an eye opener!

:o

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 11:51:44 AM »
I may have some foundry ones spare, I will have a look.

Under €20 does not attract customs at the moment if sent by Royal Mail.

First corps are the cheapest option I think, Foundry will bust you with postage as much as the figures.

Cheers
Matt
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 12:03:17 PM by bluewillow »

Offline mc_deli

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 06:40:03 PM »

Under €20 does not attract customs at the moment if sent by Royal Mail.

This is about us and in the EU receiving UK parcels!

The potential for “double VAT”, customs charges and custom fees varies massively from country to country.

One way to bend the rules (and it has worked for plenty of shady Amazon sales in the past) is to send as a gift. Obviously legit businesses cannot do that - but you can get your UK orders sent to a friend in the UK and forwarded to you. Yes, double postage, not quite if you pool a few different purchases into a larger parcel for forwarding... but no double VAT, no customs charge/fee.

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 11:01:18 AM »
VAT being applied twice is surely only a temporary glitch whilst businesses work out how to set up the their web shops to suit the new situation. Our glorious leaders left no time at all for people just trying to make a living to make these adjustments...

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2021, 09:14:04 AM »
Gentlemen please refrain from discussing the taxes and VAT here.
I know this concerns us all (me included) but there are other parts of the fórum to do this.
Focus in helping our member to find lovely miniatures to paint. ;)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2021, 11:50:01 AM »
Have a look at Captain Harlock's Hoplites, at the last pages (Talos Miniatures)
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=117693.0

and here
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=128151.0

« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 11:51:41 AM by DintheDin »
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Tordenkuglen

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2021, 05:42:45 PM »
Thanks all, Im very happy with all the comments

McDeli your absolutely right, and I hope most mini sellers in the UK will figure something out soon.

the Captains are quite nice I agree, but also a bit pricey, and no mounted ones yet as I saw??

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
    • Ancient Hellenistic Battles mostly
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2021, 04:33:45 PM »
Problem One: Greek leaders did not fight mounted in Classical armies. Later on as Cavalry became more important, then Thebans would head their cavalry. But that is a rarity. There were mounted hoplites, but they mostly rode to camp and dismounted to fight as proper hoplites.

Problem Two: Aventine do not have Greeks per se, but these mounted Italiote Officers are useful as later Greeks. Aventine are in Ireland- and maybe still joined up with EU.
I believe all the best figures you are looking for are coming out of England. Maybe you can scour eBay Europe for some Foundry Mounted Greeks or Macedonians.

https://aventineminiatures.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/53_55_56/products_id/238

Problem Three: The Talos figures are excellent for Command figures- that is likely how I will use mine.
JJonas

Online armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2021, 10:56:00 PM »
Lucid Eye’s Ziggurat range has some nice figure that work well as general although not cheap. There may be an EU stockist of them?

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2021, 11:12:39 AM »
Problem One: Greek leaders did not fight mounted in Classical armies ...

Except for the ones who did, like among the Thessalians, and potentially some of the NW 'tribal' Greeks federations.

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
    • Ancient Hellenistic Battles mostly
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2021, 12:08:27 AM »
Except for the ones who did, like among the Thessalians, and potentially some of the NW 'tribal' Greeks federations.

I assumed that anything above Thebes would be a separate category, but yes in later wars the Thessalians, Aetolians, Achaeans, and Macedonians would be candidates. At Chaeronea (338 BC) some speculate that Chares (the ineffective overall commander) rode a horse and ran off with the cavalry to make his escape. The famous Theban general Pelopidas rode with the cavalry in many actions, but apparently fought on foot at Leuctra.

The real issue with this question is most of the answers are nullified by the scope of limitation to only EU figures and companies, so I defer to others on that.