Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:58:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Greetings from N. Ireland  (Read 3707 times)

Offline mmcv

• Librarian
Greetings from N. Ireland
« on: February 04, 2021, 02:44:35 PM »
Hello! I've had a nosey on this forum a few times recently and thought I should take the plunge properly.

Some of you may know me already from a few other forums and groups I frequent, I know I've seen a few names I've recognised in posts about the place but for the rest of you, greetings! I'm a wargamer from N. Ireland, I've been in the hobby for a few years now (not counting a brief teenage flirtation with a GW starter set or two) and mostly focusing on historicals, and interesting in a wide range of periods.

I started out with a Warlord Romans and Celts starter set, painted up a few units and decided I wasn't going to have the time or space to do 28mm justice, so after experimenting in a few different scales found 10mm as the nicest balance between mass and detail and most of my projects have been there since.

First big 10mm project I did was Crusades era troops, both Christian and Islamic forces, which has continually grown and been added to over the years. Since then I've done a couple of ECW armies (that I hope to expand further), recently "finished" some Chinese Warring States/Early Imperial armies and have just put the finishing touches to some Aztecs and Tarascans. Ongoing projects I have are the Trojan War, alt-history 20th century (my take on AVBCW in Ireland) and I just recently received some Greek hoplites for the start of a new project. I've also a long list of other armies and eras I'd like to get onto the table as well.

Non 10mm stuff I have going on is a 2mm Crimean War project well underway as well as some 2mm Pike and Shot figures in the planning stages. I've also a few samples for 6mm that I may take on at some point. I've done a few 10/12mm fantasy single based figures as a palette cleanser from time to time and for use in skirmish gaming and have a 15mm Japanese Folklore army project in the early stages also. I'll find something to do with those 28mm Celts and Romans one of these days...

Oh, I've also painted up all the figures from the original Zombicide game and made a start on the Zombiecide Black Plague ones. And I'm not opposed to gaming with cardboard counters and pencil and paper when needs must. I also post occasional rambles, battle reports and rambles on my blog here: https://mmcvhistory.home.blog/.

So that's me really.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Greetings from N. Ireland
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 02:52:23 PM »
Welcome, & please enjoy the forum.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 05:37:18 PM »
Good to see you over hear mmcv - keep spreading the 10mm word!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 08:27:32 PM »
Welcome  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline kerpob

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 01:38:37 PM »
Crazy coincidence! I have just joined this forum and I, too, live in Northern Ireland (Belfast). I too have been building 2mm pike & shot army.

You might know me anyway since NI is a small place - Dave Kershaw. I'm also on twitter and boardgamegeek with same username (kerpob2 on BGG)

Offline mmcv

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 01:58:05 PM »
Welcome! Yes I'm in Belfast too, though moving a bit further out in the near future. I don't know you though, I've only been in the hobby a few years and haven't yet been to any clubs or the like. I did find out about a monthly one on the Castlereagh Rd a while back but didn't get an opportunity to go to it and presumably it's not running with COVID this past year.

Regardless, look forward to seeing what you get up to!

Offline niktherake

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 06:23:09 PM »
Welcome MMCV, from beautiful downtown Greyabbey, have seen interesting posts from you elsewhere esp the Pendraken forum.

Peter Millen (niktherake)

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 06:58:19 PM »
Welcome to the best forum on the net 😁 . Didn’t know there were so many other guys from good old Norn Iron on here .

Offline mmcv

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 08:11:32 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes! Seems there's a few of us littering up the place here then.  ;)

Offline mmcv

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 09:25:43 AM »
Crazy coincidence! I have just joined this forum and I, too, live in Northern Ireland (Belfast). I too have been building 2mm pike & shot army.

You might know me anyway since NI is a small place - Dave Kershaw. I'm also on twitter and boardgamegeek with same username (kerpob2 on BGG)

Looked up your Twitter there and saw the 2mm pike and shot. Impressive stuff. What rules are you using them for? My initial plan was to make a mini version of ECW for For King and Parliament, though considering rebasing and reworking my existing 10mm ECW instead. Having played a few test games from the Twilight of... series in tempted to do 30YW in similar style to what you've done with your forces.

Offline skirmisher

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 02:01:58 PM »
Welcome aboard MMCV  :) Thats a great range of projects.

Offline TheGamingArtisan

• Assistant
  • Erebor Toy Maker
    • BGG
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2021, 02:59:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum, love that you're into 10mm stuff!  :D

Offline mmcv

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2021, 03:09:40 PM »
Thanks! Yeah 10mm just struck the right balance for me between being fun and characterful enough to paint, quick to put together units, playable in a small area,  and looking good on the table. Not as wide a range available as the likes of 15mm but growing all the time, and modifications are easier as you can get away with "effect" rather than details.

Offline kerpob

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2021, 12:36:29 PM »
Looked up your Twitter there and saw the 2mm pike and shot. Impressive stuff. What rules are you using them for? My initial plan was to make a mini version of ECW for For King and Parliament, though considering rebasing and reworking my existing 10mm ECW instead. Having played a few test games from the Twilight of... series in tempted to do 30YW in similar style to what you've done with your forces.
Thanks! I was thinking of the "Tilly's Very Bad Day" free rules, but was put off by playtesting with a friend prior to lockdown - it uses multiple D6 rolls to hit with a 6 usually required. A lucky hit basically wiped out units.

So, been developing my own rules which suit well for the enforced solitaire gaming we all have at the moment! I'll upload them at some point - I think this site has that facility.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2021, 09:03:51 AM »
A bit late of me, but welcome!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/